C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

torque specs for front spindle assembly

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 07:53 PM
nd4speed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default torque specs for front spindle assembly

does anyone have these ? I can't find them in the assembly manual. thanks
Old 11-03-2004, 08:45 PM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which bolts are you talking about? The steering knuckle to the spindle, the brake caliper mounting plate, or the nut on the spindle itself?
Old 11-03-2004, 08:54 PM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have:

70 foot pounds for steering arm nuts.

95 foot pounds for mounting bolts for brakes

spindle nut: torque to 12 foot pounds to seat the bearings, back off to just loose, then hand tighten with .001-.005 end play.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:11 PM
nd4speed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry i was so vague. the bolts i'm talking about are the ones that hold the dust shield on. which basically hold the whole assembly together. its for a 72
Old 11-03-2004, 11:06 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 546 Likes on 374 Posts

The dust shield is held on with three bolts that form a triangle. The two at the bottom, which hold on the steering knuckle, are shown in the AIM as 70 foot-pounds. The one large stubbie bolt at the top, - I can't find the spec on this one. I wrote it down somewhere but can't find it now. I think it was 120 foot pounds. The brake caliper housing attach bolt torques are given in the AIM as 60 to 80 foot pounds.

I had a lot of trouble getting the dust shield on. The bolt holes in my new (repro?) shield had zero or maybe slightly negative tolerance. I loosely attached the big bolt at the top, and then loosely attached the two bolts at the bottom initially backwards; i.e. with the threaded part of the bolt facing outward. The threads were used to assist screwing in these two bolts into the dust shield holes. When they were in I tighted the top to a low torue setting, then tighten the nuts on the bottom to a mid torque. When all the bolts were in and and the dust shield was snug, I one by one removed the bottom two bolts and replaced them properly with the heads of the bolts facing me. Then I torqued them down. If you have trouble getting the bolts through the dust shield, it's important to get them in without enlarging the holes in the dustshield. Everything needs to be snug and fit tightly so that the bracket that holds on the brake caliper housing won't vibrate and loosen.

Even though my dust shields were new (silver cad), I spray painted them with silver cad paint so they would not eventually corrode.
The following users liked this post:
cjs27410 (10-05-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To torque specs for front spindle assembly

Quick Reply: torque specs for front spindle assembly