C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Window Is Slow And Weak

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 10:02 AM
JIM PORTER
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Window Is Slow And Weak

I Have A 75 And The Passenger Window Is Tired Some Times You Have To Open The Door To Get It To Go All The Way Up.
Do They Make A Roller Kit Or Something Like That To Improve The Power Of The Window Or Do I Need A New Motor
Old 11-17-2004, 10:24 AM
Pete76Shark
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

What you need is a new window regulator spring. when this breaks the power window motor has no help to bring the window up.

Suggest you take the door panel off and have a look, get a parts list going.

You will have to remove the regulator & motor so now is a good time to replace the rollers, clean out the tracks, re-grease, install and new spring, decide if you want to replace the motor or not.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:28 AM
djunod
Racer

Actually, "all" you probably need to do is re-grease everything, including the gear in the motor.

It takes a white lithium (sp?) grease. From a tub for the gear. Use the spray kind for the tracks.

While you are in there, grease up the door lock mechanisms.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:04 PM
Gage
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What years have a spring to help the window up? I don't recall seeing one on my 72?
Old 11-17-2004, 12:15 PM
JIM PORTER
Heel & Toe

Thanks For The Tips Im Going To Take The Door Panels Off Thanks Giving Weekend And Put An Anti Rattel Kit And I Will Go Ahead And Replace The Springs While Im At It
Old 11-17-2004, 12:22 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Jim - I would go with the lubing advice before you try replacing too much stuff to fix the problem. It's worked on both of my C3s, really well.

-Steve
Old 11-17-2004, 12:27 PM
JIM PORTER
Heel & Toe

Did Your Springs Look Too Worn
Old 11-17-2004, 02:31 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Gage
What years have a spring to help the window up? I don't recall seeing one on my 72?

It's coiled around the regulator and you have to put a bolt through it to keep it in place before you remove the motor from the regulator.

Jim, I had the same problem with my'72 and took every thing out of the door and cleaned up, put white lithuim grease on it and put it back, the result was a world of difference. They now go up and down very quick. I doubt the spring is the problem , unless it is in two parts or unwound. Follow the directions in a GM service manual for your year and you should have no problem. Although, be sure to mark the location of the tracks as currently bolted or you will spend a long time trying to realign the window.

PS: mine was so gummed up with dried grease that the plastic rollers didn't even turn when they went up or down, they were just dragged along.

Last edited by 72GACRZR; 11-17-2004 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:41 PM
MEGALADON
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is best to clean, and regrease everything first
Old 11-17-2004, 09:00 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

From my experience, when a regulator spring is broken, the window goes up slowly and goes down very quickly - because it is not rewinding the spring as it goes down.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:52 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I Have fixed a few slow windows. The biggest problem I found is the big spring on the back of the regulator was rusty and bound up. I have never seen a broken one but I see how that could happen with an old binding spring. Cleaning and lubing the spring along with all the tracks really help.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:20 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Well, been ten years since I did that, clean them, BUT I never regreased...those are nylon rollers, and do not need grease to thicken/dry out again......original rollers too....

the spring is necessary also, but can be found in junkyards....

I recommend disassy, and soaking the tracks in a pan full of gasoline overnight before even trying cleaning them, that white grease they used dries like glue, and it's a bear to get sanitary clean again....hense the soaking...

GENE
Old 11-18-2004, 08:31 AM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like I've got another project... I just assumed they were always real slow and weak. FWIW, mine drop like a brick, but really chug on the way up...broken spring, I guess, from what was said above.
The following users liked this post:
drwet (02-19-2024)
Old 11-18-2004, 08:42 AM
djunod
Racer

I am willing to bet one dollar that you only need to grease the components and that the spring is not broken.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:36 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

On that note, how the heck do you get the regulator assembly out of there? I took my door panel off last night, and it didn't look easy. It looks like I can pull the tracks without much difficulty, and I saw the access panel behind the motor, but I don't see how in the hell to get that big arsed regulator out! I'm assuming I yank the tracks out, unscrew the glass from the regulator cross bar, and then ????? are you supposed to fold up the regulator and try to jimmy it out through the access panel?
Old 11-18-2004, 10:28 AM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Originally Posted by wcsinx
On that note, how the heck do you get the regulator assembly out of there? I took my door panel off last night, and it didn't look easy. It looks like I can pull the tracks without much difficulty, and I saw the access panel behind the motor, but I don't see how in the hell to get that big arsed regulator out! I'm assuming I yank the tracks out, unscrew the glass from the regulator cross bar, and then ????? are you supposed to fold up the regulator and try to jimmy it out through the access panel?

The service manual gives good instructions. To get the window out, I re pluged the power and ran it all the way up, Then after you get the tracks out, you will have to run the regulator again to close up the spread so you can work it out. It comes out with the motor still attached and then you will have to once again run it to get the hole for the holding bolt(keeps the spring from unwinding) lined up.

Really easy to follow instructions in the GM service manual. But don't forget to mark the location of the bolts and channels before you remove them or you will spend some time trying to get the glass readjusted to fit tight.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:33 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 72GACRZR
The service manual gives good instructions. To get the window out, I re pluged the power and ran it all the way up, Then after you get the tracks out, you will have to run the regulator again to close up the spread so you can work it out. It comes out with the motor still attached and then you will have to once again run it to get the hole for the holding bolt(keeps the spring from unwinding) lined up.

Really easy to follow instructions in the GM service manual. But don't forget to mark the location of the bolts and channels before you remove them or you will spend some time trying to get the glass readjusted to fit tight.
oooooh ok that makes sense, so you fold it all the way up and then work it out of the access panel. I'm assuming you unbolt the glass after you get the tracks out and then fold up the regulator? In that order? Also, is it actually necessary to remove the motor in order to lube the gear?

Get notified of new replies

To Power Window Is Slow And Weak

Old 11-18-2004, 10:39 AM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Nope, I took out the glass first. Didn't want it to fall or get scratched.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:39 PM
stingray4me
Burning Brakes

Heres how I did mine & a few other projects too
http://www.corvetteclubcentralga.org...embersproj.htm
Old 11-18-2004, 08:24 PM
Gage
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I took my pw motor out, greased up the gear housing, then sprayed lithium grease all over the tracks, wheels, reasssembled it...the window flys up strong, and goes down in about 1.5 seconds...I'm going to do the pass side tomorrow....

Quick Reply: Power Window Is Slow And Weak