C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this for? "Aeroquip hydraulic mandrel"

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 11:20 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Default What is this for? "Aeroquip hydraulic mandrel"

What is this thing for? I've never made SS braided line before, but can't imagine why you'd need this thing... if I'm imagining its use correctly, it can only be used for straight hose ends? Anyone ever used one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

??
-Chris
Old 11-17-2004, 11:55 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by LiveandLetDrive
What is this thing for? I've never made SS braided line before, but can't imagine why you'd need this thing... if I'm imagining its use correctly, it can only be used for straight hose ends? Anyone ever used one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

??
-Chris
i don't have any ideas... although it almost looks like its made to be inserted into the tube and subtly flare it the last 4" or so, not sure what the threaded connection is for unless the connector for the tube is already on the tube and this makes sure the entire tube is flared the correct length? who knows i'm just guessing?? can't imagine you would need it though...
Old 11-18-2004, 12:03 AM
MrForce
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

It is for an older design of fitting. The ones actually used by military and aircraft mfrs. Not for the stuff sold by jegs/summit etc
Old 11-18-2004, 12:23 AM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Ah, I read about an older style in Carroll Smith's Fasteners&Plumbing book (aka Screw to Win) Didn't remember anything about a tool being needed though!

Bob, sounds like you are thinking of solid metal line. Aeroquip makes stainless steel brain-sheathed rubber hose.

Thanks MrForce

-Chris
Old 11-18-2004, 09:23 AM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It's for a "current" reusable steel fitting. AQP hose for power steering, brakes, high pressure gauge lines, etc. It's a low cost line with NO HEX on the nipple. Not a very popular line. You thread the socket onto the hose, thread the tool onto the nipple assembly to give something to grap onto, insert the mandrel into the tube and start turning. The mandrel expands the tube slightly to prevent the nipple from bitting into the end of the hose. The threads bottom out against the face of the nipple and prevent it from turning independent of the nut.

Yes, I used to work for Aeroquip.

Get notified of new replies

To What is this for? "Aeroquip hydraulic mandrel"

Quick Reply: What is this for? "Aeroquip hydraulic mandrel"