C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure Gauge - New or Rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 06:08 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 796 Likes on 556 Posts

Default Oil Pressure Gauge - New or Rebuild?

When I first started my engine after my rear suspension rebuild I noticed my oil pressure gauge went to 35psi and stopped. I shutdown the engine and it stayed there. I restarted and tapped on the gauge and it went up to about 40psi and stopped. I got my external gauge out and checked my oil pressure and it was fine. My question is should I bite the bullet and buy a new one for around $60 or get my old one rebuilt? From my research it will be about $40 in labor + parts to rebuild my old one. My main concern with either option is how it is going to look against my other gauges. I have the green letters and they have faded over the years. I don't want one really green one and the rest dull. Has anyone had any experience with the rebuild services? I guess I could tell them to leave the face alone and just rebuild the mechanical part - or - is this something I can fix myself? I haven't taken out of the car yet so it may just be a sticky needle. One a side note I was adjusting my rear view mirror while sitting in my car looking at the gauge and it came off in my hand WILL IT EVER END???????
Old 12-09-2004, 06:48 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 756 Likes on 465 Posts

I went ahead and purchased a new gauge. Mine would do the same thing. I took it out a couple of times and cleaned it up with brake clean and this worked for a short time. I am going to just replace it now. Even if you have it rebuilt they will redo the face so it looks like new. I have not put it in yet but that will be done shortly.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:01 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Rebuild it. The new ones are from offshore.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:05 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 756 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by markdtn
Thats news to me. I'll have to compare the two.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:32 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by markdtn
Not only that... They look different. The most common ones are repros. I fixed mine and it hs been fine for a couple of years. Be REAL careful of the lettering. It will wipe off or smudge at the slightest touch. I blew mine clean with air (low pressure ) and then sprayed Matte finish clear over the lettering so I could handle it without fear of ruining the lettering. I cleaned all of mine at one time when I fixed the oil pressure gage.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:32 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Thanks guys, I guess I'll take it out this weekend and see what I can do with it.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:41 AM
theandies
Team Owner

I got it out yesterday and the return spring was binding a little. I lubed it up and now it works great (on the bench). I ran out of time (a 5 year old and a 1 year old.....you get my drift) so I didn't get the center console back in but I should be able to get it in today and test it. I hate taking that center console out, not that its difficult or anything its just everything is 30+ years old and just ready to snap.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:29 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 374 Likes on 357 Posts

Default Corvette Instrument Services.

If u need help i used Corvette Instrument Services and am happy with the results. I sent them a box of gauges having bent needles with loose plastic and paper parts (new bezel too). I got back good looking gauges with a rebuilt ammeter for a very low price compared to replacement ($40 for rebuilt ammeter while $80 for new). Calibrated too.
Haven't started them up yet but i would have too reccommend them.
corvetteinstruments.com
Hope this can help. cardo0

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Pressure Gauge - New or Rebuild?

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Gauge - New or Rebuild?