C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 09:11 AM
79ls1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine problems

Well, boys, it seems that I've been ripped off. For those that don't know, I bought a complete pullout ls-1/4L60e out of a '98 T/A for 3200 on E-bay. The guy said that the car had 50000 miles when it was hit. When the oil pan came off, it was readily apparent that this was . Rod and Main bearings worn through, cam bearings shot, lifters bad. I'm afraid to find what's under the heads; they aren't even off yet. Same with the trans. Residual fluid looks like someone put a torch under the pan and just held it there, which means the clutches are gone. Funny thing is, when I unloaded the thing, some fluid spilled from the dipstick tube hole and looked brand new, but when some came out of the tail shaft, it looked like the above. I called him and already am getting the run around right off the bat. My question is, does anyone know if I have any recourse such as getting a couple of G's back or making him take it back completely? I bought it back in May.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 12-12-2004, 09:18 AM
ngcolby
Pro

unless you file a lawsuit, you are sol.

caveat emptor and all that....welcome to the dark side of ebay unfortunately.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:29 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Hows the crank ,can you freshen it up rering it bearings etc...?Ask him to pay for at least that stuff.

Last edited by patsnitrovette; 12-12-2004 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:56 AM
79ls1
Racer

Crank is fine, bores are cool, don't know about the rings yet. That's what I was thinking, asking for cost of parts to make it useable, which will still be quite a bit of beanage, especially for the trans kit. Trouble is, it might take an attorney to get it from him.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:10 AM
journeymen
Safety Car

If you don't get any money back, make sure you tell all of us who the seller was, so we can avoid him or her.

BTW what was the sellers satasfaction rating?

Sorry for your misfortune...
Old 12-12-2004, 11:47 AM
79ls1
Racer

Oh believe me, I will. In fairness, I will give him a chance first. His satisfaction rating was very good.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:11 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 822 Posts

Bryan,
Work with the seller. He may be willing to help with some of the work costs.

I personaly do not do automatic tranny service but the costs will not likely be insignificant. If the parts were represented as "serviceable" he should have some responsibility here. Even so, Caveat Emptor still applies.

As far as the engine goes, I would first ask for help from the seller, then throw that out as a bargaining chip. The satisfaction you get from doing a re-ring job on the core yourself and KNOWING the stuff in there is fresh will be money WELL spent on your part. I would take my lumps on the powerplant and go after him for the tranny service.

All you can do now is hope for the best.

-Mark.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine problems

Quick Reply: Engine problems