C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 11:28 PM
CrossedFlags77
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steering Problem!

I have noticed recently that I can turn my steering wheel a good 2 inches each way before the car actually steers in any direction. So it feels real loose. I had someone move the wheel to see if I could diagnose the culprit and it seemed to be the power steering control valve. So I replaced it and the problem still exists. I dont know what to check next. I have already replaced the pump, could the power steering cylinder be the problem, or could it be in the actual steering gearbox? Any help would be appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
James Apple (03-05-2021)
Old 12-30-2004, 01:05 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

More likely the rag joint or the steering box.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:55 AM
Lotus76
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 12-30-2004, 08:40 AM
Chuck-75
Instructor

got the same problem in my 75, I just went throught the front suspension,(added New control valve,cylinder,and all new tie rods.) and then tighnened the original steering box. lost the slop but it made the steering very hard. almost like no power?, so Ill back off on the steering box a little at a time until I get less ressistence at the steering wheel.my next step will be the rag joint and then rebuild the column.and then if still no change,and after having a good cry Ill brake down and buy a new steering box.
if ya didnt know how to adjust the steering box ? you lossen the nut on the top of the box and then eighter Rt turns to tighten or Lft turns to lossen, then retighten the nut. you may need to adjust a couple of times to get the right feel yr looking for, dont go to tight or ya might damage the gears inside.
save the wave.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:55 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by CrossedFlags77
I have noticed recently that I can turn my steering wheel a good 2 inches each way before the car actually steers in any direction. So it feels real loose. I had someone move the wheel to see if I could diagnose the culprit and it seemed to be the power steering control valve. So I replaced it and the problem still exists. I dont know what to check next. I have already replaced the pump, could the power steering cylinder be the problem, or could it be in the actual steering gearbox? Any help would be appreciated.
I've got the same problem, I'm going to have the box rebuilt.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:07 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If the front end is all good, many times it can be fixed w/ the lash adj.
I have fixed many & posted how on the forum.
Since Jim Shea (st. expert) became a member, he has been handling these topics & has written some articles on st. that you should read.
http://www.corvettefaq.com

I have only done slight adj. to my original st. & it is still excellent.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:39 PM
CrossedFlags77
Drifting

Thanks for the reply guys. I am going to check the rag joint and will probably replace it causes its only $20. I will also read on how to adjust the steering box. Do any of you think it could be the steering cylinder? Thats the only piece in the whole power steering system that I havent replaced.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:58 PM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I had the same issue, replacing the rag joint is a good idea because it's only $20... it's probably old and worn anyway...

I adjusted the steering box and now my 'play' in the steering wheel is almost zero...

good luck
Old 12-30-2004, 02:03 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Buy only the GM rag joint but they run about $65 not $20. Go to any Gm dealer and they can order one or may stock it. You can check www.gmotors.com for good pricing too. BE sure you know how to adjust the box BEFORE touching the lash screw.I have a paper on rebuilding them if you want to give it a go yourself.
Gary
Old 12-30-2004, 02:03 PM
70_Shark
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedBad1979
I adjusted the steering box and now my 'play' in the steering wheel is almost zero...
Solved the same problem with steering gear lash adjustment. May need to be re-adjusted a couple times per year, depending on condition.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:09 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Originally Posted by 70_Shark
Solved the same problem with steering gear lash adjustment. May need to be re-adjusted a couple times per year, depending on condition.
The correct way to adjust the lash is by in'lb rotation drag measurement. If you over tighten it off center you'll wear out the wron and sector.
Gary
Old 12-30-2004, 02:17 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gtr1999
Buy only the GM rag joint but they run about $65 not $20. Go to any Gm dealer and they can order one or may stock it. You can check www.gmotors.com for good pricing too. BE sure you know how to adjust the box BEFORE touching the lash screw.I have a paper on rebuilding them if you want to give it a go yourself.
Gary
This is one thing that Jim has drilled into our brains.
Don't use the cheap rag joint kit.
Some don't even use a spacer, so you crank down the bolt on the rag
alone. This is a recipe for disaster.
The GM rag joints are pricey, but so is your life.

Definitely read the corvettefaq.com articles by Jim and adjust the lash first.

Old 12-30-2004, 02:37 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

If you are careful, here is the link to be able to adjust the gear while it is still in the car. There are actually two adjustments that can be made. The worm shaft thrust adjustment may or may not even need to be done. However, if you have axial motion in the worm shaft, you will NEVER get rid of the steering wheel lash by just tightening down on the side cover adjuster nut and screw.

Here is the link, the above comments are explained in detail.

http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/GearAd...-Rev21FE04.doc

Happy New Year,
Jim Shea
Old 12-30-2004, 03:28 PM
redc3
Melting Slicks

all good advice, only chuck says his steering got harder? the ps vavle sometimes needs and can be adjusted for more or less pressure. also re check that ps valve play. im on my third one because i chose to buy re man parts at the local chain. ( read cheap ). check your ps cylinder, where it mounts. i found my bolts were loose at the frame. dont see the cylinder itself being your problem. and dont buy cheap rag joint. i got an excellent one from GOOD local parts store 10$
Old 12-30-2004, 10:40 PM
CrossedFlags77
Drifting

Sorry but I am full of questions on my steering. It has always been difficult to steer at slow speeds. I really have to muscle it into parking spaces and through parking lots. I have replaced the power steering pump, control valve, and hoses and it hasnt gotten any better. This makes me worry about adjusting the steering box cause Chuck-75 said it made his steering harder and I dont need that. Any ideas on why my power steering is so difficult?
Old 12-31-2004, 12:06 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow, The cylinder is about the only thing left. If you have a good pump, good valve, and good cylinder, you are going to have power steering. With this system you should have more PS at low speeds than high.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:32 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Adjusting your steering gear should NOT make your steering harder!

If you make the sector shaft adjustment, (the screw and lock nut on the side cover), you MUST adjust the screw with the gear right on its center of travel.

The sector gear and the rack inside the gear have a slight interference fit right on center. Off center there is actually some clearance designed into the gear mesh. If you try and make your adjustment and eliminate the clearance off center, you will have TOO much interference right on center. This will cause hard steering and could damage parts inside the gear.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:14 PM
CrossedFlags77
Drifting

Thanks for the info Jim Shea. I will read over your gear adjustment paper and then see what I want to do. Thanks for the information everyone.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:31 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by CrossedFlags77
Any time there is slop in the steering, the very first thing you should check is the "rag joint". It's often the first thing to give you problems, is the easiest to check and about the cheapest thing in the steering to fix.

The second thing you should check is the idler arm. When they age they loosen up and are often overlooked. Not as cheap as the "rag joint" but about as easy to replace. Always use the heavy duty one.

As for the steering box, I rebuilt the entire front end except the steering box a few years back on my '73 and was very happy with it. Good feel, no wandering, and the power steering was stiff enough to discourage the wife from wanting to drive it. After a couple of years the steering box started to leak, and I didn't have the time to rebuild it myself so I sent it off to VAN STEEL. It came back in short order looking better than new. The first thing I discovered is that I really did have power steering, almost more than I like. Everything is spot on and not a hint of play. Unfortunately the wife found out and now all she wants to do is drive the '73!!!

There's a lesson in there somewhere I guess...

GUSTO

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Problem!

Quick Reply: Steering Problem!