Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here's a question...please read.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 08:03 AM
meanstreet
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here's a question...please read.

i have a '78 t-top coupe. this car has 55k miles. L48 {350}, auto, pw. pl. air, pwr ant. the original am/fm/8-track, tilt/tele, pull out cargo cover, t-top bags, int light delay, no paint issues, no interior issues, no frame issues, everything works as it should. just a damn nice vette. i would never claim the car perfect but it's one of the nicest c3's you'll find and i looked at a lot before i bought this one. in your opinion[s], what is a car like this worth? i really would like to trade it for a nice c4 but there seems to be no takers.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:51 AM
Stung
Instructor

What color is your car, ext/int? How long have you owned it? Do you have original documentation? What wheels and tires are on the car? Is it detailed for show? Do you have pictures? What modifications have been done to the car?
Old 03-13-2008, 09:07 AM
meanstreet
Advanced

Originally Posted by Stung
What color is your car, ext/int? How long have you owned it? Do you have original documentation? What wheels and tires are on the car? Is it detailed for show? Do you have pictures? What modifications have been done to the car?
the car is cream w/ med brown int. i do not have the origianl paperwork for the car. i am the 4th owner of the car. had it for about a year. it has corvette 15" 3 piece ralleys on it w/ steel belted radials. the only mods are a performance package that was purchased from ecklers which consists of an edelbrock manifold and carb and a stainless dual exhaust. the car is not "detailed" for show, just clean/stock although i have shown it. the last one was an all corvette show where all the cars were driven to and from. i still have the original exhaust system including the convertor. i have pics.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:41 AM
LYLE
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Less than 10K
Old 03-13-2008, 05:21 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

...right now, with the economy, gas prices, unemployment rate, etc. these "adult toys" at this time aren't big sellers. When gas is $3.49 per gallon, most people(99.9%)are not looking for a 14mpg Corvette to just drive around. Yeah, people are always looking or thinking about buying one, but many, many Corvettes are for sale. I remember eBay when 600 Corvettes were on there for sale a few years ago. Now, there is probably more than double that on there for sale. Then go to autotrader and such "For Sale" sites and you'll see tons more Corvettes for sale. Also, the '74-'79 Corvettes seem to be your "low buck" Corvettes. I know. I have two of those. Your highest selling '78-'82 Corvettes are going to be your very low mileage, super original cars. A Corvette is only worth what someone is going to give you for it. One person may tell you that your car is worth $12K, but is he the one going to give you $12K for it? The next guy may come along with $8,500 cash to buy your car. If you decide to sell it to him, at that point it's worth $8,500. Don't go by eBay ads for a price-too misleading. Compare your car to various sites that have similar cars for sale posted with their "asking" prices, then you can get an idea of where your car should be priced at, but that doesn't mean it's going to sell either. It just takes that "one" person.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:59 PM
TMU
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '15, '17

If it's really that nice I think $8,800 to $10,000 is reasonable. You really want a C4? Damn those wedges just don't appeal to me.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:52 AM
meanstreet
Advanced

i still like the c3 style but the c4's are a little more user friendly as a daily driver. this one is just too nice to use that way. it was a little warmer last night so i uncovered her and fired her up. "i think i fell in love all over again" you'd have to see it to appreciate it. it truly is one one the nicer c3's you'll find. won't break my heart to keep it.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:16 AM
the c3 man
Instructor

where is the car location and a cash price thanks
Old 03-14-2008, 08:35 AM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Borowski
...right now, with the economy, gas prices, unemployment rate, etc. these "adult toys" at this time aren't big sellers. When gas is $3.49 per gallon, most people(99.9%)are not looking for a 14mpg Corvette to just drive around. Yeah, people are always looking or thinking about buying one, but many, many Corvettes are for sale. I remember eBay when 600 Corvettes were on there for sale a few years ago. Now, there is probably more than double that on there for sale. Then go to autotrader and such "For Sale" sites and you'll see tons more Corvettes for sale. Also, the '74-'79 Corvettes seem to be your "low buck" Corvettes. I know. I have two of those. Your highest selling '78-'82 Corvettes are going to be your very low mileage, super original cars. A Corvette is only worth what someone is going to give you for it. One person may tell you that your car is worth $12K, but is he the one going to give you $12K for it? The next guy may come along with $8,500 cash to buy your car. If you decide to sell it to him, at that point it's worth $8,500. Don't go by eBay ads for a price-too misleading. Compare your car to various sites that have similar cars for sale posted with their "asking" prices, then you can get an idea of where your car should be priced at, but that doesn't mean it's going to sell either. It just takes that "one" person.
Very well written. It should be a sticky to answer all of the "what's it worth" questions.

A car is only worth what you can get for it. Doesn't matter what is appraised at, what it sold for 2 years ago or 2 weeks ago, what someone got for it at an auction, ebay, etc.

The reality is that these are toys, nobody NEEDS them, but they do WANT them. In economic times like these, needs go out the window.

The good news is that it is a buyer's market, and that things always change. It's cyclical.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:03 AM
meanstreet
Advanced

Originally Posted by the c3 man
where is the car location and a cash price thanks
i'm in cleveland, ohio. I'm asking $10.500 and as nice as it is, i'm not not moving off it much. i agree that times are hard and "toys" are not a priority and fortunately for me i'm not forced to move it. there have been times in the past when i've been in that position so i know the feeling. too many times than i care to mention while raising my boys but now they're grown and dad gets to keep his toy.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Rickman
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Mean,

Sounds like a really nice car. I agree w the comments of the CF members. But you gotta remember, talk is cheap. People wanna see pics, whether on here or a Snapfish, etc. account. Get creative and market your car. Have you done a WTT ad on the C4 Forum?

Rickman
Old 03-14-2008, 10:31 AM
meanstreet
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rickman
Mean,

Sounds like a really nice car. I agree w the comments of the CF members. But you gotta remember, talk is cheap. People wanna see pics, whether on here or a Snapfish, etc. account. Get creative and market your car. Have you done a WTT ad on the C4 Forum?

Rickman
yea i tried c4 forum. had a couple offers, one in particular i was very interested in but nothing ever came of it. i'm not sure how to post pics on here. i have quite a few. how do you post 'em on here?
Old 03-14-2008, 06:34 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

The car sounds solid, but as Paul said, vettes are toys, and not many people want a cream and brown colored toy. When people buy something like an old C3, its usually a car that they have always wanted since they were a kid, and honestly, that color is a tough sell.
As far as pics, go to www.photobucket.com and create an account, its really easy. Once you upload pics, just left click the option under your pic that says "IMG code" and then right click and paste it in your post
here.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:42 PM
meanstreet
Advanced

thanks. that worked and i re-posted in the c4 forum.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:13 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

Originally Posted by meanstreet
thanks. that worked and i re-posted in the c4 forum.
You can post pics right from your page as well like this.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:45 PM
meanstreet
Advanced

that's cool. thanks.........i'm still learning.

Get notified of new replies

To Here's a question...please read.

Quick Reply: Here's a question...please read.