C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Water in Floorboard

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 01:44 AM
Stv50
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Water in Floorboard

I have tried to find past postings about this problem. But I can't find the right one. I have a 1996 convertible. A while back it was parked out in a pretty good rainstorm. It went on for a couple of hours at times pretty hard. After it was all over I went to the car and looked inside and found about three inches of water in the passenger seat floorboard.

The seat was not wet. I believe that I read in the past that the door has some sort of a drain tube that might be clogged up. I have no idea where that would be or if that would even be the problem. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:20 AM
ynk1121
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As you noticed, if the drains are clogged or get too much water for them to drain, the over flow goes to the passenger floor. My drains weren't clogged but during a heavy storm the drain couldn't keep up and my car lives outside so I wasn't a happy camper. When you look at your drain tubes you'll notice that water can only slowly drip out because they are basically closed. My solution was a cowl guard from mid america click here to make sure nothing goes in there and cut the tips of the drain tubes a little to let the water flow better click here. Since I did this I have not had one drip in my interior even during the heaviest storms.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:58 AM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Wet Carpet

It might be adviseable to pull the carpet up to see if the floor is wet underneath and if so to allow it to dry out. If water gets under carpet with the mass backing (late C4s) it can't dry because the rubberized coating will not permit it to breathe. Additionally there is a fairly large sound deadener mat made of jute with the rubberized coating over the transmission tunnel that will soak up any water that gets under the carpet. It is possible to get your carpet dry on top and a month later pull it up and find everything is still wet underneath. It is important for coupe owners to be aware of this also because of the complexity of the weatherstrip design. It takes a topnotch individual to get Corvette weatherstrips to seal properly and I would guess there are probably a lot of them out there that should not be out in the weather. Also, Corvette weatherstrips don't last forever and will begin to leak as they wear and degrade which is the usual cause of wet padding underneath the carpeting.

Redards, Greg
Old 09-21-2005, 09:28 AM
dndrsn
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

Don't forget the one at the bottom of the blower plenum behind the passenger gill. If this one clogs up the blower box will fill with water and leak in thru the fresh air vent door.

Old 09-24-2005, 12:04 AM
Stv50
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks forthe responses guys. This helps a bunch.

Get notified of new replies

To Water in Floorboard

Quick Reply: Water in Floorboard