Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

How easy or hard to remove seats?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2001, 01:04 PM
Getaway
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How easy or hard to remove seats?

Need any special tools? Is it a one person job? How long will it take?

Thinking about getting seat covers.... Thanks!
Old 08-05-2001, 01:32 PM
4deatr
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: How easy or hard to remove seats? (Getaway)

It's easy I took mine out to clean..Yon dont need any special tools It took less then 40 min to take both of them out.You can do it your self with no problem!
good luck
Old 08-05-2001, 04:07 PM
gh86E
Burning Brakes

Got mine out in about 20 minutes. 4 nuts on floor rails of each seat. First, move seat as far fwd as possible. You can easily get to the 2 nuts on the back by folding the back of the seat forward. Once you get those off, move the seat as far backwards as possible. I had to use a flexjoint extension on my socket to get the two front nuts. Soak the nuts with a little Liquid Wrench or so to help free the rust.

Only my driver's seat was powered. One I removed all 4 nuts, I could lift/tilt the seat just enough to get to the connector underneath it that the motor wiring goes to. That connector was hard to get apart - keeping the locking tab spread while trying to pull it apart. There was a small white plastic pushpin wire holder that took up some slack in the wiring. I popped that out first, and that gave me a little more wire to get the seat a little higher to disconnect the connector.

[Modified by gh86E, 3:10 PM 8/5/2001]
Old 08-05-2001, 09:31 PM
Getaway
Drifting

Default Re: How easy or hard to remove seats? (gh86E)

Thanks much guys....

Old 08-06-2001, 12:49 AM
CG77VETTE
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Taking the seats out is the easy part, replacing the covers is another story. You can go several different ways in terms of material (leather, vinyl & cloth).
Then you have to decide whether you want to replace just the covers or covers and foam. It is much easier to replace the covers mounted on new foam than to try to put new covers on the old foam. The cost is a big factor in each scenario.

I replaced mine with leather covers mounted on new foam. I have the sport seats which is a real PITA. If you don't have sport seats it's easy to replace the covers mounted on new foam. The bottom cushion is removed by pulling the clip at the front of the seat down. This releases the seat bottom so you can unplug any electrical connections. The seat back is somewhat harder. There are four clips in each seat. Two at the base of the headrest and two at the same height as your kidneys when you are seated in the seat. You unclip the two clips on one side and the other two come right out. The installation of the seat backs is much harder than the removal. I used a large flat screwdriver with a "V" filed in the center of the blade and pushed the clips back on.

The procedure for sport seats is much more difficult but I can walk you through it if you need. Just e-mail me with any questions. If you need an idea on prices, try http://www.johnscorvettecare.com Just click on specials and look for your year and color. I hope this helps.

Old 08-06-2001, 02:08 AM
A
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How easy or hard to remove seats? (CG77VETTE)

Hey, I have a dumb question, all of this talk of replacing the foam and all made me unsure: When I restore my interior, I'm going to get some Wet Okole red & black (with emblems thanks ;)) covers. When I install them though, do I put them on over the old nasty chewed up factory leather or do I remove the leather from the seats and then install the new covers?

I thought they just went on over the existing BS leather... :confused:

Dumb question, I know, but it's late and I'm :sleep:

Also I have sport seats if that matters.

[Modified by A, 12:30 AM 8/6/2001]
Old 08-06-2001, 09:23 AM
gh86E
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How easy or hard to remove seats? (A)

"When I install them though, do I put them on over the old nasty chewed up factory leather or do I remove the leather from the seats and then install the new covers?"

My guess is it would be a mistake to try to remove the leather and put them just on the foam. You'll probably loose some of the shape. I believe there are wires going through the leather to hold it down into the foam to form the 'creases' in the seats.
Old 08-06-2001, 12:10 PM
A
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How easy or hard to remove seats? (gh86E)

Ok, that's what I thought. Removing the old stuff didn't seem quite right to me...
Old 08-06-2001, 08:29 PM
gh86E
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How easy or hard to remove seats? (A)

I just had my seats reupholstered. They came out absolutely great. Cost $850. The fit is better than what I've heard comes from the seats-mounted-on-foam parts from Ecklers, Mid-Am, etc.

How much are the seat covers? If parts of your seats are split apart, like mine were, they may not look good even with the covers. Find a local auto upholstery shop that others can recommend. At least get a quote from them. It may not be that much more. You may only end up wishing you had gone with restoring the seats, rather than covering them.

Get notified of new replies

To How easy or hard to remove seats?

Quick Reply: How easy or hard to remove seats?