Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Help! My service ABS and ASR lights...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 11:18 AM
3Xwhite92
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! My service ABS and ASR lights...

are on, as well as the red Brake light located on the right side of the gauge pod, but intermittently. My parking brake is not engaged, and since the car is a 1992 automatic, I don't think it has been engaged much over the life of the car, since the cable seems to be very stiff. The car has 60k miles on it.
Thanks for the input.

Old 09-28-2006, 11:26 AM
ripped_78
Advanced

Mine does the exact same thing, but only when I goose it from a dead stop eventually the brake light goes out but the other two lights will not reset unless I shut the car off. I have looked at the asr module and nothing is loose.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:09 PM
ptyler
Advanced

I had the same problem on my 96 and I posted what I found to be the problem and most everyone thought I was nuts. Anyway for what it's worth. While the lights were on I happened to notice I had picked up a nail in the left rear (lots of construction in the area) and the pressure was down to just below twenty. I pumped up the tire to drive it to the shop to get it fixed. After pumping it up the light went off and all was well. A couple of weeks later the lights came on again and guess what, another screw this time in the right rear and the pressure was below 20 again. Pumped it back to to drive to the shop and the lights went out. After getting it fixed I decided to lower the pressure to just under 20 lbs in one of the tires. Started driving and the lights came on. Pumped it up and out went the lights. Did the same thing with all four tires with the exact same results. Who knows, maybe I am nuts after all who lets the air out of their tires to see if any lights come on.
Pat
Old 09-28-2006, 04:08 PM
3Xwhite92
Cruising

Default Tip

Originally Posted by ptyler
I had the same problem on my 96 and I posted what I found to be the problem and most everyone thought I was nuts. Anyway for what it's worth. While the lights were on I happened to notice I had picked up a nail in the left rear (lots of construction in the area) and the pressure was down to just below twenty. I pumped up the tire to drive it to the shop to get it fixed. After pumping it up the light went off and all was well. A couple of weeks later the lights came on again and guess what, another screw this time in the right rear and the pressure was below 20 again. Pumped it back to to drive to the shop and the lights went out. After getting it fixed I decided to lower the pressure to just under 20 lbs in one of the tires. Started driving and the lights came on. Pumped it up and out went the lights. Did the same thing with all four tires with the exact same results. Who knows, maybe I am nuts after all who lets the air out of their tires to see if any lights come on.
Pat
It's worth a shot, I will check out the airpressure in all the tires.
And since I'm mostly nuts, maybe it will work for me too!

Old 09-28-2006, 04:30 PM
VetteUSA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Top off your brake fluid level. Even if it's just a little bit low, the service ASR and ABS lights will come on ( as well as the intermittent red brake light)
Old 09-28-2006, 10:12 PM
trulytex
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you pulled the codes. My ABS & SIR lights were on in my 1990 when I bought it and I pulled the codes and it gave me a Code for the Lateral Accelorometer. I ordered one from vette2vette.com (they are no longer carried by GM), replaced it and cleared the codes and it hasn't come on since. When you check the codes you may also get one or more for the wheel sensors, which may trigger your SIR. I would suggest checking the codes, writing them down and then clearing them. This may turn the lights off.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:20 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by VetteUSA
Top off your brake fluid level. Even if it's just a little bit low, the service ASR and ABS lights will come on ( as well as the intermittent red brake light)
The brake fluid level can be as little as 1/8" low and you can see the Service ABS and Service ASR lights come on. The "MAX" line on the master cylinder reservoir is hard to see but try topping off the reservoir and see if the lights still come on after hard braking.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:05 AM
3Xwhite92
Cruising

Default Didn't Work

Originally Posted by ptyler
Pat
Tried the tire pressure thing tonight, and it didn't work for me. Thanks for the brake fluid tip, I will try that next.
But if I do have to go to read the codes, 2 Questions; 1) What is the most effective and least expensive tool available to read the codes an a 1992 Corvette, and: 2) Where is the diagnostic port on my car?
Thanks, this is my first Corvette in 22 years. I need some friendly direction, please.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:13 AM
VetteUSA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 3Xwhite92
Tried the tire pressure thing tonight, and it didn't work for me. Thanks for the brake fluid tip, I will try that next.
But if I do have to go to read the codes, 2 Questions; 1) What is the most effective and least expensive tool available to read the codes an a 1992 Corvette, and: 2) Where is the diagnostic port on my car?
Thanks, this is my first Corvette in 22 years. I need some friendly direction, please.

1) http://www.c4guru.com/articles/CCMCodePull.pdf
2) Driver's side kick panel ( near your right knee when you're sitting in the driver's seat)
Old 09-30-2006, 01:19 AM
daddysvet92
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Sounds like a problem I've had !

Just a few of my previous symtoms
1. ABS & ASR light would activate when slowing down to about 8 to 10 km/hr
2. ABS & ASR activating when backing in reverse
3. ABS & ASR lights on when taking off from a dead stop
I found what my problem was and it the Rear wheel sensors. Here is some pictures of how they looked when I removed them before I cleaned them. Not a hard job to do, just takes a little time and some patients. If you need more help with this just send me a personal and I'll walk you through it, nice and easy ! Good luck - Chris
Name:  1992Corvettepartsimprovements001.jpg
Views: 1970
Size:  50.5 KB
Name:  1992Corvettepartsimprovements004.jpg
Views: 1965
Size:  73.8 KB
Views: 1965
Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2006, 01:22 AM
daddysvet92
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Sounds like a problem I've had !

Just a few of my previous symtoms
1. ABS & ASR light would activate when slowing down to about 8 to 10 km/hr
2. ABS & ASR activating when backing in reverse
3. ABS & ASR lights on when taking off from a dead stop
I found what my problem was and it the Rear wheel sensors. Here is some pictures of how they looked when I removed them before I cleaned them. Not a hard job to do, just takes a little time and some patients. If you need more help with this just send me a personal and I'll walk you through it, nice and easy ! Good luck - Chris
Views: 1870
Name:  1992Corvettepartsimprovements002.jpg
Views: 2052
Size:  44.2 KB
Name:  1992Corvettepartsimprovements003.jpg
Views: 2094
Size:  42.8 KB
Old 09-30-2006, 05:47 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

The red brake light usually indicates low fluid. The Service ASR/ABS can also be related to non stock wheels and tires, so if you have aftermarket wheels in non stock sizes and tires in nonstock sizes, that can cause it as well.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:21 PM
3Xwhite92
Cruising

Default Good Input!

Great input! I happened to solve my particular problem by adding the tiniest amount of brake fluid to the reservoir, as previously suggested. By looking at the reservoir from the outside of it, you couldn't even tell that the level was down even the tiniest amount. Lights are now out, this problem is now solved!

Old 10-04-2006, 12:08 PM
ripped_78
Advanced

I put some brake fluid in and it solved my problem thanks guys.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:28 PM
winsteadr
4th Gear

I wonder how many Chevrolet dealers ripped customers off for a little bit of brake fluid...

Get notified of new replies

To Help! My service ABS and ASR lights...

Quick Reply: Help! My service ABS and ASR lights...