C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Being a "good" Christian owning a Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 02:45 AM
TRace8893
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Siveck
Being judgemental of others by their material possessions is not very characteristic of a true Christian. Taking pride in what God gave you is not a bad thing as long as it doesn't interfere with more important things like people, relationships, and the well being of children. God takes a great delight in our happiness. He would probably even like a ride in the Vette .
Very well said! People aren't going to be perfect and Christians don't (or if they do really need to try reading the Bible for once) claim to be perfect, only that God is. And you will find someone in the chruch family will judge you for one thing or another but you can't go around judging those who judge you! It just makes everything worse. Confront them if it really bothers you and explain.

My pastor has a nice and shiny Harley accompanied by a bright yellow jeep and it's a Mennonite Brethen church (we've come a long ways from just 70 years ago when other pastors in the denomination were painting all the chrome on their cars a dull black). And C4s aren't out of reach and gas mileage isn't too terrible. I personally haven't gotten such responses from fellow Christians.. then again I'm not the not the only C4 at my church and there's a couple other vettes. I take good care of my car so that I can keep some value in it (the fact that it looks good is just an added bonus .) There's even a Cruzin' for Jesus group in the area and there are lots of cars part of that.

Bottom line, don't let it bother what other people think of you and your car, just be who you are and hopefully they'll see their judgement was wrong.

Last edited by TRace8893; 04-05-2007 at 02:47 AM.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:47 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I was raised in a very strict religious background and materialism was frowned on to a point. One thing I knew was no matter what one day Id have a hot rod, no matter what.
I can remember one Sunday morning the whole family piled in to Dads Impala on the way to church.. 69 Chevelle SS pulls up next to us at the red light, had a pretty big cam going on in that thing. My face was pressed up against the window, had a big ol grin on my face. My Dad yelled at me not to look at those "Low life turkeys, you wanna be like a low life turkey?!" I looked at him with a .

Thought he was gonna smack me.

Dont know where that came from, it wasnt C4 related. Oh wells.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:04 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

So that's where it all went downhill.

I remember when I was 7 my bible had gold-embossed pages on it. I had the coolest bible in sunday school. And some jealous azzhat threw it off the 2nd floor balcony into the parking lot and mangled it. So I went home and cried. From that day on I decided I'd never own anything nice. And that's why I keep my Corvette looking like sh**.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:56 AM
hippy
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I think Christ would be happy with his followers ragging on you about owning sports car. It seems he was mad when they gave him a cross instead of a single board. He thought the cross was too flamboyant.

If I were you I'd tell your "friends" to go pound sand. Hypocritical fks.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:28 AM
ChickMagnet
Racer

Material possessions can be considered blessings. As long as you are thankful for what you have, and don't take it for granted, I do not see how it is wrong...unless you stole the car...then that's a different story.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:20 AM
joecaver
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

Where is the line that you crossed? Was it in the price? Should your ride have cost less? Is it that it looks too good? Would it have been more christain to buy a $35,000 pickup truck? How about a $15,000 Toyota? If price isn't the issue and it's looks that are the issue than would a Mustang be OK? maybe a Gremlin?

I guess the question I'm trying to ask is which cars has god said it's OK to buy and will he really send you to hell for buying the wrong car? While I'm at it. Shouldn't god be to busy to actually care about which car you are driving? I mean there seems to be a lot of stuff going on in the entire world and that maybe a few things might be just a little more important to him than this.

Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:25 AM
redvette6spd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
I was raised in a very strict religious background and materialism was frowned on to a point. One thing I knew was no matter what one day Id have a hot rod, no matter what.
I can remember one Sunday morning the whole family piled in to Dads Impala on the way to church.. 69 Chevelle SS pulls up next to us at the red light, had a pretty big cam going on in that thing. My face was pressed up against the window, had a big ol grin on my face. My Dad yelled at me not to look at those "Low life turkeys, you wanna be like a low life turkey?!" I looked at him with a .

Thought he was gonna smack me.

Dont know where that came from, it wasnt C4 related. Oh wells.
We could be brothers
Old 04-05-2007, 06:41 AM
jordanpingrey
Advanced

Thanks all for responding so promtly, in response I really don't give much credit to the people giving me flak for the car but I was just curious if anyone else had experienced this complex. I am thankful for what I've been blessed with and I also understand it can be taken away from me in a second, but it really is a unique way to get a religious experience; driving down the hiway top off and feeling the sun coming down, wow... can't wait till summer... thank God less than two months left!

God Bless
Semper Fi
Old 04-05-2007, 07:11 AM
KY Vette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always feel a little 'funny' pulling up to our church in a Corvette. But then I look around at all the $40K SUV's in the parking lot, my vette cost $14K.
We consider our Corvette a gift from God, it has helped our relationship as we spend a lot of time in it together. Something we have in common.
Besides, we don't really own it, God does. We're just taking care of it for Him. So we try to do a good job of that.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:17 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
I think you should tell all your judgemental fellow Christians to go to Hell. Most of them are probably paying way more for their new cars with automatic headlights and power moonroofs and navigation systems.

Cruising in the old vette with the top down at 80mph through twisty winery roads is quite a religious experience.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:19 AM
PAINTER MAN
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I consider myself a Christian and am very involved in my Church. I have a Corvette, BMW motorcycle, and a whole lot of music gear. I even helped a pastor buy a corvette.

It's in the heart brother. The relationship is between you and Christ.

God bless you.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:21 AM
Brian9
Burning Brakes

A bunch of heathens... the whole lot a ya lol just kidding
Old 04-05-2007, 07:25 AM
Scooter 94
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell them if they have a house with running water and electricity (not to mention cell phone or cable TV), then they are in the top 1% of the worlds wealth. They should live more economically. We got billions of starving people on this planet. So what's their beef with a Corvette!!!

People are always willing to judge others but fail to apply their own standards to themselves.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:54 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by Siveck
Being judgemental of others by their material possessions is not very characteristic of a true Christian. Taking pride in what God gave you is not a bad thing as long as it doesn't interfere with more important things like people, relationships, and the well being of children. God takes a great delight in our happiness. He would probably even like a ride in the Vette .
it's just a car after all, no different than pulling up to church in a Cadillac or God forbid, a Hummer!
Old 04-05-2007, 08:14 AM
C-4 Now
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I thank God often for the many blessings I have! I try not to judge others having not walked in their shoes. As far as Vettes go, I've been driving them for almost 40 years and consirder them a frugal use of assets [hold value really well],that also give me much pleasure! I don't know where in the Bible it says that's wrong?? Have found that those trying to put me down are usually just trying to make themselves feel more righteous and I know what the Bible says about that!! And a few times for the family the Vette has been sold to get us through a tough spot!!

Last edited by C-4 Now; 04-05-2007 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:40 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Remember, money is not the root of all evil.

The love of money is the root of all evil. Not the money itself, which if used as by a steward of God is a blessing. This greedy love I'm talking about is the source of every sin.

Men murder, cheat, lie, rob, run saloons, gambling houses, brothels, all for the love of money. For the love of money Judas sold his Master.

Money is not inherently evil. It's a resource, a tool. A means to an end. It can be used for malevolence or benevolence. The choice is up to you.

I'm a Christian, a tither and a proud Corvette owner. I don't worship the Corvette, but I'm a good steward of it, in that I take care of it and mantain it as needed.

But I don't put it over the needs of my wife or kids or, more importantly, over obedience to my God.

I have all these Eckler's and MAM magazines in my bathroom and I'd love to mod it out someday, but I have wisdom, patience and self-control in spending.

I'm not drowning in credit card and other unnecessary debt just for the sake of driving a "pimped-out" Vette.

God wants you to be blessed and be a blessing to others. You can "have it all" you just can't have it all at once.

Last edited by onedef92; 04-05-2007 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:43 AM
ODIVETTE
Instructor

If God didn't want us to drive corvettes, he wouldn't have allowed them to be created!

I am very religious...however I don't preach or force my beliefs on anyone. Tell those nay sayers that it is ok to be left handed too!!! (For those of you that do not know...some members of the Catholic Church used to associate left handed people with the devil)

Get notified of new replies

To Being a "good" Christian owning a Corvette

Old 04-05-2007, 08:51 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Besides, we don't really own it, God does. We're just taking care of it for Him. So we try to do a good job of that.

Amen, bro. God owns, we manage. Thanks for this thread and Happy Easter to you all!
Old 04-05-2007, 08:53 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...flak over the years from my Christian friends and obviously my Christian mother, all with the complaint that owning something like a Corvette; ...
Well that sure says a lot about the quality of character of those people doesn't it now...

Maybe someday you will be able to look at such types and just say WTFAU...

Karl Marx had one thing right: Religion is the opium is the people.
Been true since the earliesst witch doctors and still is...
Old 04-05-2007, 09:07 AM
teebee
Safety Car

Received 540 Likes on 287 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Originally Posted by onedef92
Remember, money is not the root of all evil.

The love of money is the root of all evil. Not the money itself, which if used as by a steward of God is a blessing. This greedy love I'm talking about is the source of every sin.

Men murder, cheat, lie, rob, run saloons, gambling houses, brothels, all for the love of money. For the love of money Judas sold his Master.

Money is not inherently evil. It's a resource, a tool. A means to an end. It can be used for malevolence or benevolence. The choice is up to you.

I'm a Christian, a tither and a proud Corvette owner. I don't worship the Corvette, but I'm a good steward of it, in that I take care of it and mantain it as needed.

But I don't put it over the needs of my wife or kids or, more importantly, over obedience to my God.

I have all these Eckler's and MAM magazines in my bathroom and I'd love to mod it out someday, but I have wisdom, patience and self-control in spending.

I'm not drowning in credit card and other unnecessary debt just for the sake of driving a "pimped-out" Vette.

God wants you to be blessed and be a blessing to others. You can "have it all" you just can't have it all at once.
I could not have said it better myself. I have been the target of the same ignorance from some of the members of our church, that's OK as I know where I stand with the Lord.

Quick Reply: Being a "good" Christian owning a Corvette