C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Removable top bolts get loose

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 08:12 PM
CraigandJanet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removable top bolts get loose

I know some non hardening thread locking paste would probably take care of this, but maybe someone has a better idea. The removable glass (lexan) top on my 93 starts to rattle about every 30 miles driven on these crappy Michigan roads. I have to grab the wrench and tighten the front bolts a turn or so, then it's okay for another fifteen minutes, then I have to repeat. I can't imagine why these were designed so they would vibrate loose that much. Suggestions?? I don't want to overtighen, but I'm getting them pretty snug. Thanks..
Old 04-23-2007, 08:18 PM
Grease Monkey
Team Owner

Cruise-In 8-9 Veteran
aka/Trunk Monkey/Banned For Life/Corvette For Life

Hmm, I have no idea. Mine has never came loose and I tighten them very tight. But wait for some more people to chime in before you tighten them too much
Old 04-23-2007, 09:03 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

puss

just drive with it off 24/7
Old 04-23-2007, 09:41 PM
CraigandJanet
Racer

Originally Posted by tparkhi2
puss

just drive with it off 24/7
Michigan.........remember?? Supposed to rain today and didn't. Not supposed to tomorrow, but guess what it will do?

We took a nice roadie this weekend and ended up in your neck of the woods (Atwood, actually). Beautiful weekend. Took the C5, tho.

Last edited by CraigandJanet; 04-23-2007 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Add
Old 04-24-2007, 12:00 AM
corvetteuser123
1st Gear

I may have had the same problem in my '96...are the bolts on the car(buried in the windshield trim) loosening, or is it the brackets on the front end of the top? In my case, the bolts securing the brackets to the roof panel were working their way loose. I used some RTV on the threads of the two bolts and the bracket itself. Bolted the brackets back to the roof and then attached the roof to the car to ensure I still had bracket-vehicle alignment. Just leave the top on the car for a coupe days to be sure the RTV is dried.

Tried this 6 months ago and the brackets are still holding strong.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:53 AM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigandJanet
Michigan.........remember?? Supposed to rain today and didn't. Not supposed to tomorrow, but guess what it will do?

We took a nice roadie this weekend and ended up in your neck of the woods (Atwood, actually). Beautiful weekend. Took the C5, tho.
I drive my motorcycle year round so don't let me hear it about the cold.

I just can't stand a black car/black leather with the sun beaming down on me. I would rather have that heat blaring and the top off in freezing weather then have it off in the heat.

Never heard of Atwood but it isn't to far from here. Stop by next time.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:45 AM
CraigandJanet
Racer

Originally Posted by C_S_Thompson
I may have had the same problem in my '96...are the bolts on the car(buried in the windshield trim) loosening, or is it the brackets on the front end of the top? In my case, the bolts securing the brackets to the roof panel were working their way loose. I used some RTV on the threads of the two bolts and the bracket itself. Bolted the brackets back to the roof and then attached the roof to the car to ensure I still had bracket-vehicle alignment. Just leave the top on the car for a coupe days to be sure the RTV is dried.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck.
C_S_ Thanks. Never thought about the bracket on the car possibly being loose. I have never had the top off this one. I'll check it out and see if that is part of the problem.

Hey Tommy. I used to ride my Yamaha all year around while going to MSU. Seems college students are immune to cold, huh? Now I'm an old fart and like to stay warmer, tho I agree about the hot seats with black leather. I love the top off/down with the air on.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:10 AM
jimmers
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine has never come loose on me. Maybe your threads are a bit stripped??
Old 04-24-2007, 01:32 PM
thebeerman
Burning Brakes

Lock washers and/or Locktite.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:54 PM
murraybob
Racer

I'm like C S Thompson. I had that problem until I discovered that there are bolt-on brackets in the front corners of the top that were loose. That's what was causing the rattle. After tightening them up I have had no more of that type of rattle. Those brackets have to be lined up properly, or you have a major fight getting the top bolted back on. It took me three or four tries to get them correctly lined up. After getting that right I scored the bracket-top interface, so that I can easily get them lined up again if they come loose.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:52 PM
Sprint7677
Pro

Originally Posted by C_S_Thompson

Hope this helps.

Good Luck.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:52 AM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I feel your pain, man. I keep my torx screwdriver sitting on the passenger seat. I can even tighten the driver's side screw w/o taking my eyes off the road.

I'm pretty sure the problem is with the mounting brackets that are on the windshield frame (forget what you call it). They can be adjusted down which should tighten the roof panel screws. I've done it a few times but I think my brackets have loosened again.

I'm also curious how much worn weatherstripping plays a part with the roof rattles.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:45 PM
CraigandJanet
Racer

Default OK now

Well, I decided to tighten the front bolts more than I had before, and after they came up to a general stop, just a tad more and they are holding fine. Drove all day on an autocross course and it's still hanging in there. I guess I just wasn't getting it tight enough. Took the top off on the way home. Brackets were tight. Thanks for all the good suggestions, though. In the long run, they will help someone with a similar problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Removable top bolts get loose

Quick Reply: Removable top bolts get loose