Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Additional reverse lights...wiring, switch location?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 04:38 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Additional reverse lights...wiring, switch location?

I observed that with ~20% rear tint and the POS factory reverse lights, I can't see **** when driving backwards at night. So, I'm going to get an additional pair of lights at Wal Mart and mount them.

I'm gonna put them on the bottom of the spare tire carrier brackets; the carrier is gone (just discovered I bought my car without a spare tire; good thing to know! ). The lights will be on the bottom of the little post things that bolt onto the rear sub-frame thing. This puts the lights low enough to project indefinitely, but still above the exhaust, so they won't get ripped off by the ground. And you won't be able to see them unless you're laying on the ground!

My question is this: what's the best way to wire power to the lights, and then route wiring to a switch near the driver? I simply haven't owned the car long enough to know all the grommets, grooves, channels, etc. that are useful for aftermarket wiring.

Thanks!
Old 12-25-2007, 04:51 PM
Gary R
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just replace the stock backups with halogen running lights? That is what's on my '91 and they work great. Guys standing behind me always remark how bright they are and I can really see through my tinted rear window. I can't tell you where to buy them because they were already installed on the car when I got it. Gary
Old 12-25-2007, 05:54 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Most of the cheapie "fog lamps" at places like Wally World will work for relocating the backup lamps but most of these lamps use a 55w bulb and that may be too much for the fuse or maybe the wiring.

Although the backup lights won't be on for a long period of time, the extra load from higher wattage bulbs can pop the fuse. The various accessory catalogs have 55w halogen bulbs that go into the stock housings but the plastic OEM housings may not handle the extra heat from those bulbs.

Another place to power additional lights is by using the wire for the white lamps that are in the rear quarter panel. These come on only when the parking or headlights are on.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:37 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Gary R
Why not just replace the stock backups with halogen running lights? That is what's on my '91 and they work great. Guys standing behind me always remark how bright they are and I can really see through my tinted rear window. I can't tell you where to buy them because they were already installed on the car when I got it. Gary
I saw those at Mid America, but I've read that they're not much better than stock. Plus, they're something like $10 each. I can get a pair of these REALLY bright lights for about $15, so they're cheaper and much brighter.

If I end up running them off of the stock reverse lights, I can just put in a bigger fuse. This has the added benefit of not having to run a switch into the interior.

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Most of the cheapie "fog lamps" at places like Wally World will work for relocating the backup lamps but most of these lamps use a 55w bulb and that may be too much for the fuse or maybe the wiring.

Although the backup lights won't be on for a long period of time, the extra load from higher wattage bulbs can pop the fuse. The various accessory catalogs have 55w halogen bulbs that go into the stock housings but the plastic OEM housings may not handle the extra heat from those bulbs.

Another place to power additional lights is by using the wire for the white lamps that are in the rear quarter panel. These come on only when the parking or headlights are on.

I didn't know about those white lights in the rear; I'll have to look into those. As for the wiring, I guess I'll just have to see.

What I'll probably end up doing is splicing them off of the existing reverse lights. If the fuse blows, I'll put in a bigger one. If something else bad happens, I suppose I'll either get power from the side white lights or run a dedicated cable from the battery, with a switch run into the driver. I really don't want to do that though...
Old 12-26-2007, 12:57 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R
SEE this post!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1890770
Old 12-26-2007, 10:01 AM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
I saw that a little while ago....thing is, the LED's actually look dimmer than the stockers. They're a lot "whiter", but all I care about is light output. I don't care if I see a yellow bush behind me or a white one, I just need to see it .

I'm gonna be out of town until the 30th, but when I get back I think I'm gonna tackle this. I'll let ya know how it goes.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:07 AM
Harryscarlot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jwalker87
I saw those at Mid America, but I've read that they're not much better than stock. Plus, they're something like $10 each. I can get a pair of these REALLY bright lights for about $15, so they're cheaper and much brighter.

If I end up running them off of the stock reverse lights, I can just put in a bigger fuse. This has the added benefit of not having to run a switch into the interior.

I didn't know about those white lights in the rear; I'll have to look into those. As for the wiring, I guess I'll just have to see.

What I'll probably end up doing is splicing them off of the existing reverse lights. If the fuse blows, I'll put in a bigger one. If something else bad happens, I suppose I'll either get power from the side white lights or run a dedicated cable from the battery, with a switch run into the driver. I really don't want to do that though...
do not get a bigger amp fuse . the wiring is protected by the fuse that is rated to blow before any wiring damage occurs!
Old 12-26-2007, 12:21 PM
grn envy
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

I have 15 % out back now and I have halogens in and I can see perfect. Make sure to do the side lights as well because it makes a world of difference.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:05 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

I saw that a little while ago....thing is, the LED's actually look dimmer than the stockers. They're a lot "whiter", but all I care about is light output. I don't care if I see a yellow bush behind me or a white one, I just need to see it .

I'm gonna be out of town until the 30th, but when I get back I think I'm gonna tackle this. I'll let ya know how it goes.
Yep another forum member said he didnt like the look of the hallogens as well (not enough light). I guess its time to mount the fog lights or look out the window while backing!!!
Old 12-26-2007, 09:54 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Originally Posted by grn envy
I have 15 % out back now and I have halogens in and I can see perfect. Make sure to do the side lights as well because it makes a world of difference.
I'll have to look into the side lights. Where can I get brighter bulbs for them?

Originally Posted by Goldcyclon
Yep another forum member said he didnt like the look of the hallogens as well (not enough light). I guess its time to mount the fog lights or look out the window while backing!!!
The problem is backing out of my driveway, I need to see down the passenger side of the car? The deterioration and/or tint on the sideview mirrors is enough to prevent me seeing anything with the current lights, even with the window down
Old 12-27-2007, 01:27 AM
johnnymo63
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 123 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

For adding rear facing fog lights:

Getting power is easy. Pick up a 30 amp 5 post relay at any parts place ($4.00). Connect to existing back up light wire for the switch terminal. Run a power wire to the pos. (+) of the battery. One wire to the frame for ground. Last one to lights.
Wiring directions are on the package. You'll need wire also, if you don't have any already. 14 ga. would handle anything you would want to put back there.
Automatically on/off w/ backup lights and completely safe.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:06 PM
grn envy
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

I'll have to look into the side lights. Where can I get brighter bulbs for them?

The problem is backing out of my driveway, I need to see down the passenger side of the car? The deterioration and/or tint on the sideview mirrors is enough to prevent me seeing anything with the current lights, even with the window down
I belive I picked some up at auto zone or discount auto parts. I believe ecklers has a few options as well.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:16 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Originally Posted by johnnymo63
For adding rear facing fog lights:

Getting power is easy. Pick up a 30 amp 5 post relay at any parts place ($4.00). Connect to existing back up light wire for the switch terminal. Run a power wire to the pos. (+) of the battery. One wire to the frame for ground. Last one to lights.
Wiring directions are on the package. You'll need wire also, if you don't have any already. 14 ga. would handle anything you would want to put back there.
Automatically on/off w/ backup lights and completely safe.
Good idea! I hadn't thought of a relay. That'll be perfect. I can just run the power wire under the car all the way from the battery, along with the brake lines or something.

I think I'm going to go this route instead of replacing all the existing light bulbs simply because it will be cheaper and MUCH brighter I'm sure.

Get notified of new replies

To Additional reverse lights...wiring, switch location?

Quick Reply: Additional reverse lights...wiring, switch location?