C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

high flow precats?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 06:54 PM
ragged claws
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default high flow precats?

What I'd really like to do is replace the precats with a Y pipe from Mid America and install a high flow main cat into my existing Corsa cat back exhaust. Since I live in the Peoples Republic of California that is not an option, even though I should still be able to pass the emissions test, just not the visual. Does anyone make a high flow pre cat system that I could legally install with a high flow main cat and bolt the whole thing up to my Corsa system? I have an '89 coupe.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:50 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

http://www.hottexhaust.com/search_re...2&txtCatName=2
Old 06-22-2008, 10:07 AM
ragged claws
Pro

Thanks for the link, Agent 86. Are those precats legal in Ca. and will they have to be welded on by a muffler shop? The installation info on the site is not working.

Thanks, Kim

P.S. The other option is to go with no precats as stated in my preferences in my post and switch between stock and high flow system every two years. How much of a hassle would this be? Installing the Corsa cat back wasn't too bad. If changing back the front part of the exhaust system wasn't much worse then it would be a doable option.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:35 AM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by ragged claws
If changing back the front part of the exhaust system wasn't much worse then it would be a doable option.
Removing the front portion of the exhaust is much more of a PITA than the rear portion.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:13 PM
redrose
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TA
Removing the front portion of the exhaust is much more of a PITA than the rear portion.
imho, IF the nuts that hold the head pipes to the manifolds have been "off" in the last couple of years, changing the front pipes/cat as a unit is much easier than the rear (cat-back)...the front assy is more compact and weighs less than the rear.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:17 PM
arandy
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

On my 87 I took out the front Y and drilled a couple of holes in the top of the precats. Then used a steel rod and hammer to bust up the material inside. Dumped out the material, welded up the holes and reinstalled the pipe. You can't see it because the holes are on the top.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:23 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Since you live in KA one solution to max air flow might be to install those hi-flow pre-cats into a mandre-bent 2 1/2" front Y and have the main cat gutted with a 3" pipe welded inside.

They you should pass both visual & tester emissions plus your flow potential would be increased to >800cfm, good to nearly 400chp.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:35 PM
Master__Shake_
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you just trying to pass visual? If so, you can gut out the pre-cats and the main cat yourself, just make sure you put a pipe inside the main so the air doesn't recirculate and resonate. I'm having that problem right now but soon to be fixed.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:16 PM
ragged claws
Pro

Originally Posted by Master__Shake_
Are you just trying to pass visual? If so, you can gut out the pre-cats and the main cat yourself, just make sure you put a pipe inside the main so the air doesn't recirculate and resonate. I'm having that problem right now but soon to be fixed.
I need to pass both visual and emissions. I was thinking a high flow main cat and no precats (won't pass visual but should pass emissions) or maybe gutted pre cats and high flow main cat (should pass both). Not sure if the precats with a gutted main cat would pass the sniffer test.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:36 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran

The pre-cats were added as a supplement to the main cat due to cat limitations back in the day.

There are now small bullet-cats that could be used in the pre-cat position to take care of all emission needs.

But the main restrictions on the L98 exhaust are:
-the pre-cats
-the waffle-bent front Y
-the single main cat

A pair of hi-tech & hi-flow (>400cfm) bullet cata along with a test pipe inside the main cat should do the job for you as far as emissions. The only remaining restriction would then be the waffle stock front Y pipe.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:59 PM
ragged claws
Pro

Thanks for the clarification, 65Z01. It's starting to look a lot like the best way to beat this ridiculous restriction on appearance is to swap out a new Y pipe and high flow cat with my stock exhaust once every 2 years. How hard can it be? Once I free up the existing 20 year old bolts on the existing Y I should be able to unbolt everything from my Corsa cat back and be good to go, right? Any suggestions or tips on how to make this process easier will be greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone who replied to my questions.

Kim
Old 06-22-2008, 10:56 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran

How hard can it be? Once I free up the existing 20 year old bolts on the existing Y I should be able to unbolt everything from my Corsa cat back and be good to go, right?
About 8yrs ago I dropped my OEM front Y to get the headers out and port them. I soaked the lower flange bolts overnight with PB Blaster and all the retainer nuts came lose with no problem. Coating with a moly lube before assembly should hold for 2yrs. Not sure about how much difficulty there would be in getting off the main cat??
Old 06-22-2008, 11:42 PM
ragged claws
Pro

Originally Posted by 65Z01
About 8yrs ago I dropped my OEM front Y to get the headers out and port them. I soaked the lower flange bolts overnight with PB Blaster and all the retainer nuts came lose with no problem. Coating with a moly lube before assembly should hold for 2yrs. Not sure about how much difficulty there would be in getting off the main cat??
Couldn't I just leave the main cat attached to the stock Y and precats and remove as one unit? Then when smog check time rolls around I could just reattach the whole stock system ahead of the cat back.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:41 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran

Yes of course; fuzzy thinking on my part...:o
Old 06-24-2008, 02:10 AM
89Corvette6spdFX3
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Magnaflow "High Flow Cat" that is to be welded in place of your pre cat. I only have one so you'd need to order another but here's a pic if you're interested.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:17 AM
ragged claws
Pro

[QUOTE=89Corvette6spdFX3;1566025459]I have a Magnaflow "High Flow Cat" that is to be welded in place of your pre cat. I only have one so you'd need to order another but here's a pic if you're interested.

I'm kind of looking for something I can just bolt up like the cat-less Y pipe from Mid America. I don't weld and none of the muffler shops in this town would touch my exhaust since there's probably nothing wrong with the OEM stuff that's on the car now. I'm still leaning toward switching out a new Y pipe and high flow cat (bolt on) for my stock exhaust every 2 years in order to pass smog here in Ca.

Get notified of new replies

To high flow precats?

Quick Reply: high flow precats?