C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Bizarre Headlight Behavior

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 03:09 PM
madmachines
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bizarre Headlight Behavior

Hi all. Searched through the posts and although there is an immense amount of information on the blinking headlight, there isn't anything I could find that helps with the bizarre behavior of my headlight. I was on a trip and had the hood up to check fluids. Normal enough. Dropped the hood and as soon as the hood hit and latched shut, the headlight gear on the passenger side went nuts. When I say went nuts, I mean nuts - it spins continously at high speed until I unplug it. I can then manually rotate the light and still turn it on and off but would like to make the tasmanian devil spinning stop. I am trying to figure out if it is the internal gears or the relay. I have talked to a couple friends of mine who are also C4 owners and gotten different opinions. My C4 is a 1987. Any help I can get is great. Also, anyone even know where the headlight relay is located? Is it on the fenderwall in between the driver light and tire? If so, easy enough to replace.

Thanks everyone.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:09 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

No personal experience, but I can tell you there are 3 relays that control the headlight doors. You might find some help here http://members.shaw.ca/dankai/Headlight%20Doors.pdf.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:47 AM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by madmachines
Hi all. Searched through the posts and although there is an immense amount of information on the blinking headlight, there isn't anything I could find that helps with the bizarre behavior of my headlight. I was on a trip and had the hood up to check fluids. Normal enough. Dropped the hood and as soon as the hood hit and latched shut, the headlight gear on the passenger side went nuts. When I say went nuts, I mean nuts - it spins continously at high speed until I unplug it. I can then manually rotate the light and still turn it on and off but would like to make the tasmanian devil spinning stop. I am trying to figure out if it is the internal gears or the relay. I have talked to a couple friends of mine who are also C4 owners and gotten different opinions. My C4 is a 1987. Any help I can get is great. Also, anyone even know where the headlight relay is located? Is it on the fenderwall in between the driver light and tire? If so, easy enough to replace.

Thanks everyone.
A couple of years back I owned an '85 that did the same thing. I bought a upgraded set of new headlight motors, and electronic module from MAM, I think. basicly replaced the old headlights w/ new. They still sell it, here is the link: http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette-3-249-834.html

Randy
Old 07-01-2008, 07:00 PM
madmachines
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the help!!!

Hi Agent 86 and RandyJ75. Those links were both helpful. The PDF of the headlight wiring showed me where the different relays are so if that ends up being the problem, I know where to look. I ended up ordering a set of gears for the motor from MAM which I think I will rebuild anyway based on all the posts about them going bad. Thanks for all your help!

Get notified of new replies

To Bizarre Headlight Behavior

Quick Reply: Bizarre Headlight Behavior