C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Flat tire woes

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 09:23 AM
Billy Stargazer
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flat tire woes

A couple of years ago I took my spare off and began running with only a can of foam flat tire fix. I thought the car looked better without the spare. I had never, until yesterday, had a flat with my 87 coupe. Three weeks ago I was cleaning up the garage and decided to check the air pressure in the temp spare and re install it. I did, and boy am I glad I did. Yesterday while driving to my nieces wedding in Thief River Falls Mn. I got a flat tire in the middle of nowhere. It only took me a few minutes to change it. Luckily the weather was kind to me. I don't think I will run without my spare again. Looks or not, it seems to fly in the face of common sense.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:41 AM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

That is why GM went to "run flat" tires, when they did away with the spare tire on Corvettes.
Any car (not just Corvettes) coming from the factory without a spare tire, is running on run flat tires.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:22 PM
larry00
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4
That is why GM went to "run flat" tires, when they did away with the spare tire on Corvettes.
Any car (not just Corvettes) coming from the factory without a spare tire, is running on run flat tires.
Yeah you can run them 50 miles not over 50 MPH then unless you are in a huge city you get to sit for three days till one is located and freighted to you for over $500.00 , mount the spare and be glad you have one.
I'm putting a new tire on mine and putting it back on.
Even though it has never been used It's over 12 years old and most likely dry rotted.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:48 PM
Binski
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a flat on my wife's Prius. I was in a hurry so I put a can of inflata-flat in and drove home. The took the tire to Costco where I bought the tires about 6 week earlier. There was a nail in the center of the tread. Costco say they will not patch the tire because the inflata-flat damaged the integrety of the inside of the tire. Never heard of that. I think they just didn't want to deal with the mess. I carry a can in my LT1, has anybody heard of damage caused by inflata-flat or similar products???

Get notified of new replies

To Flat tire woes

Quick Reply: Flat tire woes