Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Have you painted your garage floor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 03:22 PM
steven_rusk
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you painted your garage floor?

I'm thinking about painting my garage floor and am interested in seeing what others have done to determine what I want to do. Any one have any pictures of what you've done?
Old 01-20-2009, 03:30 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

I need to repaint mine with the epoxy coating, I pressure washed all the old paint off!
Old 01-20-2009, 04:19 PM
jakers
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Epoxy Floors

Read this link... Hopefully it will help you avoid some mistake I made.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...pful-tips.html

My floor still looks new. ATV's cars, dropped wrenches, and all kinds of other little challenges to this floor and it is holding up fine. I am parking my car on some door rugs to keep hot tire pick up from occuring. Good luck.

Last edited by jakers; 01-21-2009 at 01:05 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:37 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

i have considered this as well
Old 01-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Mrs. glass car
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes! Best thing I ever did. Pain in the *** to do, as I had to store my cars for a week, but worth it in the end.
I'll post pictures when I get home tonight.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:58 PM
jmeyer58
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 118 Posts

I have used a heavy duty epoxy paint designed for vehicle traffic, don't remember the brand, on 1/4th of the floor. That cost $100 and only covered a quarter of what I thought it would. I then bought concrete stain from Home Depot and did the other quarter to compare longevity. It has been 8 years and the epoxy is just starting to lift in a few spots where the car stops where as the stain is getting very worn looking on the tire tracks. The stain does not last as long but for $12 a gallon, I can re-apply every couple of years and not meet the $400 it cost to do the whole floor in epoxy. It does leave a flat finish so not as nice as the gloss coats shown above but better than the bare concrete, this summer I have to do the whole garage now that the experiment is done. I guess I'll use the stain and re-apply every 5-8 years. Just my .02
Old 01-20-2009, 05:02 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

with jmeyer58 I think this is more my route, I will stain mine.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pologreen1
with jmeyer58 I think this is more my route, I will stain mine.
Probably a good choice. It is definitely cheaper. The Epoxy is nice but if you don't get every last bit of grease or any other contaminates off before you do it it's not going to stick.

I did my basement floor with stain over 20 years ago. Granted it's not a high traffic area but it still looks good after all these years.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:01 PM
RedVette84
Safety Car

Epoxy!
Old 01-20-2009, 07:41 PM
pkazsr
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I only have a "Portable Garage" with a tarp floor now, but when I build a garage it will have an inter-locking rubber/plastic tiles over concrete. I have a unrealistic dream. Search "Garage Floors" and there are some unbelievable ideas out there.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:50 PM
mrmtrtrnd
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

How much prep work before you stain and do the existing stains on the floor show through?
Old 01-20-2009, 09:10 PM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I just bought a town house this winter with an attached garage so I could have a place to store the Vette. I plan on painting the whole garage this spring as soon as it thaws up outside so i can pull the vette out for a couple days... I want to checker board the floor and two tone paint the walls then decorate the garage in antique looking metal signs. I plan on making it a mantown where i can escape from the wifey.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:08 AM
Z07coupe
Racer

Check out this web site. It covers a lot of garage related topics.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/
Old 01-21-2009, 08:12 AM
steven_rusk
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Z07coupe
Check out this web site. It covers a lot of garage related topics.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/
Thanks.... I'll do some digging through that site, looks like a lot of issues talked about there.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:14 AM
steven_rusk
Heel & Toe

jakers - that floor job looks excellent.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:33 AM
Rex Ruby
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts
Philly 'Burbs Events Coordinator

When I built my garage I researched epoxy coating and decided to use U Coat IT.
I followed the instructions to the T, it was new concrete, cured long enough and acid ectched. I've had lifting at the tire patches.
Also the finish is not as good as I wanted, a second coat would be needed to get the finish I really wanted. Their advertising makes it seem like one coat will do. Their customer service sucks, after calling them on their guarantee all they would do for me is offer more of their crap product for 1/2 price. If I want to put down another product I have to shot peen or grind the floor. Of everything I did when I built my garage the floor is my only and biggest disappointment.
A few years later I wanted to epoxy my basement floor. I rented a grinder to get all the old paint off, probably had about 12 layers of old paint. I used Rustoleum's commercial line and it has held up great.
Someday I will either shot peen or grind my garage and use the rustoleum or just get a few big mats or maybe tile.

Stay away from the U Coat IT junk.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Fast Cop
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Here is what mine looked like befor, I did half of the floor at a time:

And here is the after:

I used the POR-15 floor coating. I have had no major issues since install. I did have some hot tire pick up but have since cured that issue. My plan now is to add the floor decal and put another coat of clear over it.

Get notified of new replies

To Have you painted your garage floor?

Old 01-21-2009, 08:58 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Any pics of the stain installed ??
Old 01-21-2009, 09:44 AM
jakers
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Rex Ruby
When I built my garage I researched epoxy coating and decided to use U Coat IT.
I followed the instructions to the T, it was new concrete, cured long enough and acid ectched. I've had lifting at the tire patches.
Also the finish is not as good as I wanted, a second coat would be needed to get the finish I really wanted. Their advertising makes it seem like one coat will do. Their customer service sucks, after calling them on their guarantee all they would do for me is offer more of their crap product for 1/2 price. If I want to put down another product I have to shot peen or grind the floor. Of everything I did when I built my garage the floor is my only and biggest disappointment.
A few years later I wanted to epoxy my basement floor. I rented a grinder to get all the old paint off, probably had about 12 layers of old paint. I used Rustoleum's commercial line and it has held up great.
Someday I will either shot peen or grind my garage and use the rustoleum or just get a few big mats or maybe tile.

Stay away from the U Coat IT junk.

Days after I completed my project, my best friend, a ZO6 owner looked at my floor and said "You must help me do my floor". He is a competitive type who bought his ZO6 to top my 94 LT1 (Another story for another time!) Anyway, he did not want to use the "Home Depot stuff" so he ordered U Coat It. He spent over $1,000 on the stuff, much much more than I spent. I help him prep the floor. We were very methodical about the prep. We took two weeks to clean and rinse the floors. He had more stains than I did. We used the same cleaners that I did on mine. Cleaned and rinsed at least 6 times maybe more. Let it dry for 5 days after the last rinse.

We painted the floor and it looked terrible. Thin in some spots. The product was almost transparent on the first coat. He chose the beige. It is definately a two coat product. He ordered enough product based on the square footage. The garage is smaller than mine. So he ordered more product ($$$) and applied a second coat and again followed the direction to the letter. We painted and waited two weeks for it to cure. The floor never really looked right!? First time he parked his ZO6 on the floor he had hot tire lift.

As far as customer service goes... Ha, Ha, U-Coat It has employed an expert team of blamers. When we called and questioned them about the performance of the product this is what we got:

UCI -"We never have these problems, Did you Prep the floors?" -
A. Seriously? For two weeks we cleaned it!!

UCI -" Maybe it is too clean!"
A: Seriously? Is that possible???!!!

UCI - You did not measure the garage correctly, that is why you ran short of product!"
A: Funny, my friend is a Real Estate appraiser and I am a banker. He has a masters degree in mathematics. My degree is in economics. I am very certain the measurement were 100% correct. In fact I would bet my life on it!!!

UCI - "It was too dusty"
A. Yeah, tons of dust after 6 scrubbings and rinses...

UCI- "It was too hot outside"
A: Really? We put it down in early June most days the high was 85 degrees with a low of 68 degrees!

I would avoid "U-Coat-It" at all cost! Great advertising on the Speed Channel but a really, really subpar product. I would not put it down if it were given to me free because of the amount of labor you must invest in doing these epoxy floors

Originally Posted by steven_rusk
jakers - that floor job looks excellent.
Thank you. Going on two years and I am pleased.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:59 PM
Z-07 freak
Le Mans Master

Location: Why are there squished peanut butter cups in my underware?
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something different.

Quick Reply: Have you painted your garage floor?