Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Do you like the Targa Top ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 10:24 PM
tim32920
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe i can make one cheaper,I'll see what I can do and get back to ya'll with some pics.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:30 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tim32920
Thanks Piano guy!

Too bad it seems they dont make one for a 92.
There's a misprint in years mentioned on their web site. They show 84 - 86E, 86L - 88 and 98 - 96. I think it should be 89 - 96. The years conform to the three different types of front attachements used on the C4 coupes.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:08 AM
tim32920
Pro

Yeah prob a typo..I am a tool and die maker/machinist/welder and I know i can make one alot cheaper,I just needed the idea.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:32 AM
NEVRL8T
Race Director

Originally Posted by LT1*C4
Absolutely love it. My '92 is the first 'Vette I've ever owned and the Targa top is one of the things I love most about this car. The past few month's I've owned the car, I can literally count on my hand how many time I've actually had the top on the car and the only reason I ever put it on, was because of rain. Felt downright claustrophobic inside aterwards.

I still don't know how I've managed to live all these years without having the open air above my head while I drive. Now that I've experienced a Targa top, I swear I will never buy a car with a fixed roof ever again. None of that "T-top" stuff either. I want nothing obstructing my view of the clouds when I look up...

As for performance, I honestly can't feel any difference in the structural integrity of the car with the top removed. No sqeaks or rattles at all. Perhaps if I was on a race track and pushing the car to its limits, there would be a noticeable difference, but for driving around on the street, I can't feel any difference at all.

It's a bit of a pain to always have to put the roof back on every time I leave the car parked somewhere, only to have to take them off again I get back, but in my opinion, that's a small price to pay for the exhilarating sensation I get feeling the wind through my hair, seeing the blue sky's up above and listening to that sweet sounding LT1 through my Corsa exhaust coming from all around me. Absolute music to my ears...

Before I had my 'Vette, I used to always wonder why most of the people I saw driving T-top or Targa cars would always have their tops on. Even when the weather was beautiful outside. Most everyone I see always have their tops on.

I didn't understand it then, and now that I've finally experienced a Targa-top car for myself, I definitely don't understand them now....

Life's way too short. Enjoy and make the most of it while you can is what I always say.

Bottom line: Unless it's pouring rain or hailing golf ***** outside, when I go out, the top's comin' off and goin' in the trunk where it belongs. No exceptions. End of story.

- On a side note, I drove my car this year until about mid December. Snow hadn't yet fallen at that point but it was still well below zero outside and there were plenty of days that had a few flurries here and there.

You know what?

Wrapped a scarf around my neck. Put a snow hat on my head and I was good to go. Took the top off. Threw it back in the trunk and went out cruising.

Got a lot of laughs and thumbs up from the people in cars around me and had a blast doing it too

Targa tops kick @ss

100% My first vette and mine is a '92 also.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:45 AM
steven_rusk
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah prob a typo..I am a tool and die maker/machinist/welder and I know i can make one alot cheaper,I just needed the idea.
Tim - Let us know if you come up with a workable solution and your price. I've seen a couple different models in catalogs, but no way am I paying $400+ for something like that.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:41 AM
tsbbzm
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDriven
I like the Targa. Its not that hard to take off. Do you guys
like the Targa Top?
NO!!! But I do love the VERT top!!!!

Old 02-10-2009, 11:22 AM
tim32920
Pro

LOl angel of deaths post about feeling claustrofobic with the top on...I always compare it to being in a fish bowl...get in your car and look around...your the lil guppy in the fish bowl lol
Old 02-10-2009, 11:30 AM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by 96polovette
In 12 years of C4 production, I am surprised that they did not do something to stiffen the coupes to reduce frame flex with the roof off. That is one improvement I think the C4 coupe could have used.
I didn't notice much of a difference when I removed the top on my '85. On my '93, The car shakes and shudders. I've had the top out only twice since I've owned it. I though about looking for one of those "X" braces that the C4 convertibles use to bolt under the car.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:48 AM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I always take the roof off at first opportunity even if its like driving a slinky... You get used to it after a while
Old 02-10-2009, 06:08 PM
RedVette84
Safety Car

Old 02-10-2009, 07:58 PM
redrose
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default too easy

if not in favor of major interior trim "rip & tear"/ welding/etc, simple/good "bolt-on" structural adder would be two straight connectors, one from each front targa mount to the rear mount on same side (oem targa top single end fasteners will be the
weakest link") :

get a 10' length of 1-1/4" EMT electrical conduit steel tube (NOT "rigid" or plastic conduit) from homie depot for abt $12...have them cut it into four pieces for your ease of handling (you will only need two pieces at abt 25" long each to do a car, other two for "spares" if "learning curve" calls, etc)...flatten both ends of one new "connector" for abt 2" (big hammer or shop press)...grab one flat end in your bench vise and bend 90* (easier than you expect)...position "new brace" in car with "bent leg" pointed down at rear targa mount and other (unbent) flat resting on top of front targa mount, mark and drill mounting hole each end... each side, front will need a new nut and rear will need a new bolt (both metric IIRC) to engage oem mounts..."try on" the first piece before making next, both sides should be same, some "ain't"...paint to taste.

check "head room" for operator driving/bump space...if the new brace is too close to operator's head/helmet for safety/comfort, have a local electrical contractor or muffler shop put a small bend in it (muffler shop benders may "wrinkle" the inside radius of the bend, elec contractor "conduit bender" makes smooth bends)...any bend reduces structural effectivness, hold bend angle/number to minimum.

new brace must be padded in proximity to operator's head/helmet...your local circle track vendor should have numerous types/colors of "roll bar padding" for well under $20 per 3' length..."poly" foam pipe insulation is not satisfactory.

remember that it looks like a "roll cage" but is NOT...

Last edited by redrose; 02-10-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:32 PM
nferr
Racer

Mine's off most of the summer. It is a pain in the butt to take off and put on. The car has to be sitting very level. And there's definitely more flex and rattles with it off. But I like the safety of being able to bolt it back in if I'm parking somewhere. It definitely offers more protection than a convertible top. Twice I've had convertible tops slashed by thieves. Way too easy to break into a convertible and it's expensive to replace the top.

With the targa top off the Vette feels a convertible to me, with a nice integral roll bar.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:40 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by tsbbzm
NO!!! But I do love the VERT top!!!!

Dam that's a good looking car! Everything just looks perfect.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:02 PM
C Force
Intermediate

i like the idea of driving around with the wind in my hair, but i can't stand the ride with the top off
Old 02-11-2009, 12:17 AM
Yakko
Le Mans Master

It's great in the winter. Summer? Not so much.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:35 AM
American Raven
C3 Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bro, if you can build one and be able to sell it and beat their price, I may be interested in buying one.

You may be able to get a small business started here.

I love the open feeling but hate the flex, especially when I'm taking the drive from Loveland to Estes Park, Colorado (lots of hairpin curves). My old 2001 Mustang Convertible was more stable (and that was the antiquated FOX platform). My current Mustang Convertible has no flex under the same conditions.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:38 AM
WYTEOUT92
Racer

I too have a love/hate relationship with the targa top on my 92 coupe. I will say, I have one of the AFSB targa braces from ProStreet Customs and that combined with a hatch vent make top off cruising a much more pleasant experience. FWIW I also have an RD Racing camber brace and an Arizona Speed Harness bar installed and my car is likely as stiff as a C4 will get. (I too, had an RD Racing Cross-Frame brace installed- had to take it off when I lowered the car, and don't even miss it).
Cheers

Get notified of new replies

To Do you like the Targa Top ?

Old 02-11-2009, 04:09 PM
WYTEOUT92
Racer

ttt
Old 02-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Billy Stargazer
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the targa top. I have never experienced the twisting and rattling that some have complained of. I honestly can't tell the difference with the top off or on. I like it better than the T-tops of the C-3's as they were notorious for leaking and poor fit. Just my humble opinion.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Old87owner
Racer

I love mine, but I have the solid top, the one you can paint. I wish I had a smoke see through type. I am looking for one for my 87..

I had a 73 with t tops, it was ok. but the targa is better. It feels so much more open-air ..

Quick Reply: Do you like the Targa Top ?