Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you like the Targa Top ?

I like the Targa. Its not that hard to take off. Do you guys
like the Targa Top?
Old 02-09-2009, 06:20 PM
96polovette
Drifting

Yes and no, it is a double edged sword and the poorest designed part of the C4 coupe in my opinion. I like cruising with it off on a nice day for the vert effect. But there is not enough structural rigidity in the C4 frame to prevent frame flexing and rattles when driving with it off. GM should have built the C4 coupe with T tops that remove with levers like the 90s camaros. Unbolting it with a wrench is also not as convenient as a lever design but I think GM used the bolts because it is a structural component of the frame.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Mouse2112
Drifting

Originally Posted by 96polovette
Yes and no, it is a double edged sword and the poorest designed part of the C4 coupe in my opinion. I like cruising with it off on a nice day for the vert effect. But there is not enough structural rigidity in the C4 frame to prevent frame flexing and rattles when driving with it off. GM should have built the C4 coupe with T tops that remove with levers like the 90s camaros. Unbolting it with a wrench is also not as convenient as a lever design but I think GM used the bolts because it is a structural component of the frame.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:42 PM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I like it fine as long as I put this in its place:

Old 02-09-2009, 06:49 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the original design called for a T-Top but a late decision by GM brass changed it to a full targa panel. One of the reasons for the delay in getting the C4 into production.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

I like it but never take it off. I just like that it's see through. /shrugicon
Old 02-09-2009, 08:15 PM
tim32920
Pro

Love it but in fl the hot sun will bake ya and I have bought 3 new tops for 2 different c4s in the last 5 yrs because of cracking and I want one of those attachments like piano guy has..cool where did you get that?
Old 02-09-2009, 08:29 PM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tim32920
Love it but in fl the hot sun will bake ya and I have bought 3 new tops for 2 different c4s in the last 5 yrs because of cracking and I want one of those attachments like piano guy has..cool where did you get that?
I was lucky and snagged mine in the Parts forum last year, but here's where you can order one (I believe they're only going to be available for a limited time as the fasteners have been discontinued):

http://www.prostreetcustoms.net/CorvettePage.html
Old 02-09-2009, 08:38 PM
ZfidyONE-84
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used to have my targa on my 84 off all the time, and it was always a PITA to put it back on whenever i ran an errand, now my roadster on the other hand, 5 seconds, and the top is down
Old 02-09-2009, 08:40 PM
tim32920
Pro

Thanks Piano guy!

Too bad it seems they dont make one for a 92.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:52 PM
96polovette
Drifting

Originally Posted by jrzvette
I think the original design called for a T-Top but a late decision by GM brass changed it to a full targa panel. One of the reasons for the delay in getting the C4 into production.
In 12 years of C4 production, I am surprised that they did not do something to stiffen the coupes to reduce frame flex with the roof off. That is one improvement I think the C4 coupe could have used.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:56 PM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tim32920
Thanks Piano guy!

Too bad it seems they dont make one for a 92.
??? If it fits my '96 it will fit a '92. Unless for some reason they can't make them for the later cars anymore.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:59 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I love it, but I certainly agree it's one thing the engineers pooched hardcore. I have to go on a drive that takes twice as long as taking off and putting on the top. Which sucks because my drive to work is just 10 minutes and I refuse take half my trip to work in the morning taking off and putting on the top. Now if I had a C5, I'd so take off the top everyday. On the other hand, I really need a vert.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:07 PM
96polovette
Drifting

Originally Posted by pianoguy
I like it fine as long as I put this in its place:

$475 and frame doesn't flex with roof off and it looks to be a nice product.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:10 PM
LT1*C4
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Absolutely love it. My '92 is the first 'Vette I've ever owned and the Targa top is one of the things I love most about this car. The past few month's I've owned the car, I can literally count on my hand how many time I've actually had the top on the car and the only reason I ever put it on, was because of rain. Felt downright claustrophobic inside aterwards.

I still don't know how I've managed to live all these years without having the open air above my head while I drive. Now that I've experienced a Targa top, I swear I will never buy a car with a fixed roof ever again. None of that "T-top" stuff either. I want nothing obstructing my view of the clouds when I look up...

As for performance, I honestly can't feel any difference in the structural integrity of the car with the top removed. No sqeaks or rattles at all. Perhaps if I was on a race track and pushing the car to its limits, there would be a noticeable difference, but for driving around on the street, I can't feel any difference at all.

It's a bit of a pain to always have to put the roof back on every time I leave the car parked somewhere, only to have to take them off again I get back, but in my opinion, that's a small price to pay for the exhilarating sensation I get feeling the wind through my hair, seeing the blue sky's up above and listening to that sweet sounding LT1 through my Corsa exhaust coming from all around me. Absolute music to my ears...

Before I had my 'Vette, I used to always wonder why most of the people I saw driving T-top or Targa cars would always have their tops on. Even when the weather was beautiful outside. Most everyone I see always have their tops on.

I didn't understand it then, and now that I've finally experienced a Targa-top car for myself, I definitely don't understand them now....

Life's way too short. Enjoy and make the most of it while you can is what I always say.

Bottom line: Unless it's pouring rain or hailing golf ***** outside, when I go out, the top's comin' off and goin' in the trunk where it belongs. No exceptions. End of story.

- On a side note, I drove my car this year until about mid December. Snow hadn't yet fallen at that point but it was still well below zero outside and there were plenty of days that had a few flurries here and there.

You know what?

Wrapped a scarf around my neck. Put a snow hat on my head and I was good to go. Took the top off. Threw it back in the trunk and went out cruising.

Got a lot of laughs and thumbs up from the people in cars around me and had a blast doing it too

Targa tops kick @ss

Last edited by LT1*C4; 02-09-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:22 PM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LT1*C4
As for performance, I honestly can't feel any difference in the structural integrity of the car with the top removed. No sqeaks or rattles at all. Perhaps if I was on a race track and pushing the car to its limits, there would be a noticeable difference, but for driving around on the street, I can't feel any difference at all.
Some of these cars are much better than others with the top off - maybe it has something to do with the various suspensions. Mine was nerve-wracking to drive the first time I tried it - any little bump set the steering wheel shaking something awful. I first tried a Camber-Brace, and that helped quite a bit, then added a Cross-Frame, which didn't seem to do much (maybe I'd have noticed more of a difference if I didn't already have the Camber-Brace), but the AFSB bar made it rock solid.

That said, gotta love your attitude!
Old 02-09-2009, 09:41 PM
RickF
Instructor

I'm stating the obvious but I have never felt like a targa was even close to the same as a convertible for open feel.

IMO the vette targa is better than nothing but feels like a glorified sunroof to me and a lot more hassle.

Maybe a C4 vert someday.

Get notified of new replies

To Do you like the Targa Top ?

Old 02-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

I took mine off once after the swap and cracked my car

It stays on now
Old 02-09-2009, 10:09 PM
5POINT7
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned a convertable(mustang) at one point but rarely used the top due to the horrible sun in atlanta summers. On top of that i normally dont like the way the top looks compared to normal coupes, so for the every now and than i take the targa off i love it. Better for my situation than a vert.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Eakster
Safety Car

I love it - adds to the factor of the car. But if I'm going anywhere more than a few miles or on the freeway, it stays on - I don't like my cars bendy and rattly. If you don't feel a difference, count yourself lucky.

And I'll never pay 400 bucks for a few pieces of welded metal
to those that can afford it tho - it does look nice, wish they'd been a standard option on the car tho!

Quick Reply: Do you like the Targa Top ?