Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

87 Vett - painting spindles and Calipers Bright Red - where can I get spray Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 05:48 AM
rpgibbs1022
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 87 Vett - painting spindles and Calipers Bright Red - where can I get spray Paint?

1st project this spring will be painting wheel spindles and calipers. Car is a 87 vert and is bright red. Anyone know ehere I can get the matching bright red paint in a spray? Thanks
Old 02-18-2009, 07:26 AM
tenaus
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default caliper paint

I got mine at pep boys. They have a kit with the paint, a brush, caliper cleaner etc. works great. they also have the spray cans.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:30 AM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Matching red will be tough. You can't just use normal paint on your brake calipers; it won't last. If it looks reasonably close, I'd use the Brake Caliper Paint from Pep Boys/Advance/AutoZone, as it is designed to resist flaking and heat.

Alternatively, they make red 'engine enamel' paint in several different shades of red. This stuff has the same heat abilities as the caliper paint, so it would probably hold up just fine. And there's a good chance you can find a red that closely matches your car.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:02 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

[QUOTE=StealthLT4;1568991631]
You can't just use normal paint on your brake calipers; it won't last.
not true! not true!! not true!!! brake calipers just dont get that hot. if they ever got hot enough to burn the paint, your brake fluid would probably boil - and then the paint would be the least of your worries! i've used plane old rustoluem (sunrise red) - it holds up just fine. i painted my 85 calipers years ago, and they still look great. high temp caliper paint is just marketing hype - period.

get a rattle can of rustoleum there's enough to put a couple coats on all four calipers. rustoleum is a fairly high quality oil based enamel. finally, the key to a quailty finish is all in the prep.

Last edited by Joe C; 02-18-2009 at 10:04 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 87 Vett - painting spindles and Calipers Bright Red - where can I get spray Paint?

Quick Reply: 87 Vett - painting spindles and Calipers Bright Red - where can I get spray Paint?