Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Help Me Convince Parents to Let Me Get C4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 06:20 PM
M.J.L.
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by Red Tornado
that was a good post, well done
I went back and edited out the comment about you NOT putting down on the L-98. Im hurt man....I was eyeballing this thread waiting for you to lay it down like always. Theres still time. Tell the truth about the L98,
Old 04-30-2009, 06:28 PM
Ron C!
Safety Car

Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by grn envy
I got my corvette at 17 and I don't know about you guys but my insurance was cheaper than a Honda civic. PLus I had a dad who is into corvettes and taught me when and where is an appropriate time to use the power. If you are responsible keep your grades up and prove to them you are mature enough to this vehicle there hould not be a problem with you owning this car.
Yea all that, but I was sick of him driving my C5 mostly.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:32 PM
M.J.L.
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by Ron C!
Yea all that, but I was sick of him driving my C5 mostly.
Father son argument here gentleman. I want a good clean fight.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:46 PM
larry00
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well If I was the Dad [ been there done that ] letting a young person have a car period much less a Corvette would be based on several things like .
The Cost up front !
The cost of maintenance and insurance !
Have you personally demonstraited you are mature enough to handle the above and maintain you commitments to education and your family.

Plenty of young people are that capable thank God because if there is anything left to run , one of these days you will be running it.
I remember Rush Limbaugh saying his dad bought him a new GTO and he had to get a job and pay him back for it.
He got a job cleaning a radio station after school and he paid for the car and a multi million dollar career was born .
That's doing it right !
Old 04-30-2009, 07:09 PM
RLG
Burning Brakes

I "sold" my 18 year old son my 93 Vette with 11,000 miles on it. He had driven his Dodge truck pretty safely so I thought what the heck. That was 7 years ago. His corvette relationship lasted 4 months before he totaled it. Now here is where the story changes. he was going a little to fast and a deer (verified by owner on the land about the deer run)was in the road he missed the curve went straight and ran the Vette over those drainage boulders for about 200 feet. No drugs or Beer was involved. Now, I could be telling you all I gave my youngest son a Vette and it killed him, but when he called that night an I went to get him and his friend I could not believe how well that car held up under that kind of torture. 4 blown out tires , the floor had some holes in it, and some mechanical issues, some body damage.

Now here is where it gets a little strange , about 6 months later he was at the same intersection and noticed another car in the same situation he had been in. it was a young kid in a small import that had basically gone down the same path Ryan had gone. The kid wasn't dead, but he was in the hospital for months and had a lot of surgery. In fact if Ryan had not come along and seen him he would have been dead. Typically parents go out and get their kid a car that's cheap and gets good gas mileage, and that is usually an Import or some other small car.

Bottom line here is if my son hadn't been in a Corvette but in a cheap small car, I might not be here enjoying my 8 month old grandson..

I hope I made my point.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sorry Officer
I went back and edited out the comment about you NOT putting down on the L-98. Im hurt man....I was eyeballing this thread waiting for you to lay it down like always. Theres still time. Tell the truth about the L98,
i don't respond that way
Old 04-30-2009, 07:29 PM
M.J.L.
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

i don't respond that way
Old 04-30-2009, 07:41 PM
pkazsr
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Noobster

Better yet get an 84 ! They have the same HP as a lawn mower !
My first C4 was an 84, that car could have got me in trouble
Old 04-30-2009, 08:22 PM
tabragg
Advanced

25 to 30 mpg may sway them. best bang for the buck during hard times. tell them the throttle works both ways. then tell yourself that when the mutangs and ricers get stupid because they made a bad decision.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:27 PM
VoteGOP21
Intermediate

Location: Bitterly Clinging to Guns and Religion Way Down South in Dixie

Thank you all for the advice. I will speak to my parents about getting a Vette soon.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:38 PM
VinceC4
Pro

your just 16 and you want a Vette...hmmmm *imitates the soup *****...NO VETTE FOR YOU..COME BACK IN TWO YEARS
Old 04-30-2009, 08:40 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You guys are all talking about safety, power, etc. How do we know his parents don't hang out in OT? Maybe they are simply concerned about their image if they have a C4 parked in the driveway?
Old 04-30-2009, 08:42 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sorry Officer
it means that the air of a jr-high school i dare you can't wait to hear what you have next for me attitude.

i am being serious with my comments and opinions, i don;t just come and slam on the engine for a joke.

i'm sorry, but its not about being the on-off button jokester
Old 04-30-2009, 08:56 PM
M.J.L.
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

it means that the air of a jr-high school i dare you can't wait to hear what you have next for me attitude.

i am being serious with my comments and opinions, i don;t just come and slam on the engine for a joke.

i'm sorry, but its not about being the on-off button jokester
I know. Thats why I like them.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:30 AM
vetteman42
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by VoteGOP21
Thank you all for the advice. I will speak to my parents about getting a Vette soon.
Please post the results of your meeting and Good Luck!

Remember, your parents have your best interest at heart, so listen to their concerns and set-out objectives to address the concerns that all can agree too!. It might take more time than you would like, but this process can work!

Good Luck!

SAVE THE WAVE
Old 05-01-2009, 11:48 AM
SnoopyCool
Advanced

Originally Posted by RLG
I "sold" my 18 year old son my 93 Vette with 11,000 miles on it. He had driven his Dodge truck pretty safely so I thought what the heck. That was 7 years ago. His corvette relationship lasted 4 months before he totaled it. Now here is where the story changes. he was going a little to fast and a deer (verified by owner on the land about the deer run)was in the road he missed the curve went straight and ran the Vette over those drainage boulders for about 200 feet. No drugs or Beer was involved. Now, I could be telling you all I gave my youngest son a Vette and it killed him, but when he called that night an I went to get him and his friend I could not believe how well that car held up under that kind of torture. 4 blown out tires , the floor had some holes in it, and some mechanical issues, some body damage.

Now here is where it gets a little strange , about 6 months later he was at the same intersection and noticed another car in the same situation he had been in. it was a young kid in a small import that had basically gone down the same path Ryan had gone. The kid wasn't dead, but he was in the hospital for months and had a lot of surgery. In fact if Ryan had not come along and seen him he would have been dead. Typically parents go out and get their kid a car that's cheap and gets good gas mileage, and that is usually an Import or some other small car.

Bottom line here is if my son hadn't been in a Corvette but in a cheap small car, I might not be here enjoying my 8 month old grandson..

I hope I made my point.
I think this is a great post.

Personally, I've always felt that performance cars are safer than most any other vehicle on the road. Even a base C4 is still a respectable track car with everything that comes with the distinction. Reactionary responses are what will keep you out of accidents, and performance vehicles have the brakes, handling and instant power needed to get out of the way of trouble. I couldn't tell you how many times my brakes have saved me from someone running a red light or some idiot drunk falling into the street (I lived in a bad neighborhood... we had drunks dragging their KIDS across the street at midnight). Invest in driving lessons (real driving, not the basics they require to have a license), and you'll be the guy stopping on the side of the road to call 911 instead of the guy bleeding to death in a ditch.

And if something does go wrong, the components that make up the car are strong enough to withstand a very respectable amount of abuse. Anything short of a high speed impact is just as safe, if not safer, in a Corvette.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by SnoopyCool

And if something does go wrong, the components that make up the car are strong enough to withstand a very respectable amount of abuse. Anything short of a high speed impact is just as safe, if not safer, in a Corvette.
TRUE DAT

Get notified of new replies

To Help Me Convince Parents to Let Me Get C4?

Old 05-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Pro

Any car can get anybody in trouble. Whether it be a 4 cylinder Cavalier or a V8 Corvette. The limits of any car will be pushed and they all wreck the same.

You have to promise you're parents and yourself, you know your limitations with your driving skills. And you won't act an ahole when driving a Corvette. If they let you get a Corvette, you have to keep your promise. You don't want to hurt yourself or anyone else. Nor do you want to kill yourself. Think of what that would do to your parents. They'd blame themselves forever with letting you buy a Corvette.

Talk to them about what I just said, make them understand you won't bring any grief to them. Eventually, they'll let you get one.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:40 PM
Pro

I want to say one more thing. I let my son buy a 1977 Corvette project car at 16 years old. This was back in 2006. The project is still going on (check out our albums) and almost finished. It's not going to be an everyday car. The kicker is, he will be getting a PA antique plate. More importantly he will get Classic Insurance which will be around $150 to $200 a year and his 77 insured for $15,000, opposed to $2,000 or more a year with regular insurance.

With having the Classic insurance he cannot drive his 77 by himself. He has to drive the 77 with a licensed driver of 25 years old or older. When he turns 25, then he can drive his 77 by himself.

Run this by your parents. They'll like this part of the deal. You can get Classic insurance for a car that's at least 20 years old (I think). There's your bargaining chip, my friend.

Last edited by 65747785; 05-01-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:52 PM
5speedC4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wanted a corvette all my life, since I was about 6 years old anyway.

I didn't get one until I was about 44.

Seems to me that if I got an inexpensive vette back in say 1984, when I first really thought I might be able to swing a corvette......I could have afforded an early C3 with bumpers

But I waited another 20 years.

Darn darn darn darn.

Quick Reply: Help Me Convince Parents to Let Me Get C4?