C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1987 Vette Value

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 11:45 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Jumba5525
This is the widest spread in price I have seen. It's okay if you don't know the value of a car but don't just push out two numbers and hope to hit the mark.
I bet he got it. you just dug up a six year old thread.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:48 AM
Jumba5525
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
I bet he got it. you just dug up a six year old thread.
I'm looking through information for a car I'm looking for. I dug up but you replied ^_^
Old 10-20-2015, 11:50 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Jumba5525
I'm looking through information for a car I'm looking for. I dug up but you replied ^_^
welcome to the forum, best to start your own thread.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:34 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by dlb435
$7000 is a bit hopeful unless the car is in almost perfect. The ground effect kit and the fin actually decrease the value. Most people are looking for a car in as close to original condition as possible.

Things that increase a Corvettes value:
low mileage; less than 30K is great, less than 10K and the price goes way up.
Rare car; one with special factory options that were sold in low numbers. After market stuff does not count.
Famous car; owned by someone famous or used as a pace car, MUST be documented.

Things that lower a Corvettes value:
After market mods.
Bad paint
Bad interior
Salvage car
Not running

Thing that don't really count
high mileage, these cars are over 20 years old and 150K is usually fine if the car has been well cared for.
window tint
tires, after market or later model rims
brake upgrades
replacement radio, only a collector will insist on the Bose system.
Repainted car, here again, only a collector will insist on original paint.

Cars that need work have sold from FREE to about $3500, depending on condition.
Average cars (most stuff works, needs a little work and/or paint) go from about $2500 to $6000. (your uncle might sell you his old Vette for $2500 and wish you luck)
Good cars (good paint, interior and ready to drive) about $6000 to $9000.
Great cars, all original, good interior, good paint, EVERYTHING works like new. $9000 to $12000.
Special cars, what ever you can get! $12000 and up.

Old Corvettes will not make you rich. It's not an investment unless the car is to be stored in your special climate controlled garage and never driven.
FYI - the market is way down right now for true collectible cars. If you want a collector car, now is the time to buy. Just remember that you can't drive it and keep the value.

Your car would probably fall into the average range. The buyer would deduct the cost of removing the after market kit and restoring it to original condition. You could get lucky and find someone who wanted that kit to start with. That would move you up to the Good range.
Everything in this post is pretty much spot-on. By the categories listed, my car is a "great car" and I paid nearly $12000.

I want to argue with the statement "you can't drive it and keep the value" only because I know cars will stay in better, driveable and useable condition if they are driven periodically. But the statement addresses value, not condition. So I won't argue

Last edited by DGXR; 10-20-2015 at 01:36 PM.

Quick Reply: 1987 Vette Value