C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1987 Vette Value

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 09:55 AM
tntbudke
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 Vette Value

I will be the first to say I do not know anything about corvettes. I came across a 1987 Corvette. It had been sitting in a shed for years. Got a really good deal (or so I thought) and thought I could do some work and sell it. Finally got it painted, seats recovered, and new tires. 89,000 miles, interior is OK. Looks better with the new seats. The glass top is cracked in 2 corners. I have been looking online and I think previous owner put on a different hood, as well as ground effects and fin. Any idea how much I could get for this car.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:12 AM
Relic
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Impossible to say with any kind of accuracy. Depends on the market in your area, how good the paint job on the car is, how good the interior is, how it runs, etc. As a wild a** guess, I'd guess $4k - $7k
Old 06-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Anywhere from $350 to $35,000. It's hard to say with so little info and no pics.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:16 AM
tntbudke
6th Gear

I have uploaded pictures, hopefully they will post soon.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:24 AM
Relic
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mojave
Anywhere from $350 to $35,000. It's hard to say with so little info and no pics.
I take issue with that. $350 maybe, but $35k, not a chance.
The following users liked this post:
ajax1 (03-08-2016)
Old 06-15-2009, 10:49 AM
tntbudke
6th Gear

I was hoping to get between $7500 - $9,000. Prices in this area range from 6000 - 15000. I guess I will have to list it and see what happens. Any opinion on selling on ebay?
Old 06-15-2009, 10:52 AM
Relic
Burning Brakes

You won't get over $7k unless it's an exceptional car.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:52 AM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Relic
I take issue with that. $350 maybe, but $35k, not a chance.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:53 AM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Relic
You won't get over $7k unless it's an exceptional car.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:39 AM
dlb435
Racer

$7000 is a bit hopeful unless the car is in almost perfect. The ground effect kit and the fin actually decrease the value. Most people are looking for a car in as close to original condition as possible.

Things that increase a Corvettes value:
low mileage; less than 30K is great, less than 10K and the price goes way up.
Rare car; one with special factory options that were sold in low numbers. After market stuff does not count.
Famous car; owned by someone famous or used as a pace car, MUST be documented.

Things that lower a Corvettes value:
After market mods.
Bad paint
Bad interior
Salvage car
Not running

Thing that don't really count
high mileage, these cars are over 20 years old and 150K is usually fine if the car has been well cared for.
window tint
tires, after market or later model rims
brake upgrades
replacement radio, only a collector will insist on the Bose system.
Repainted car, here again, only a collector will insist on original paint.

Cars that need work have sold from FREE to about $3500, depending on condition.
Average cars (most stuff works, needs a little work and/or paint) go from about $2500 to $6000. (your uncle might sell you his old Vette for $2500 and wish you luck)
Good cars (good paint, interior and ready to drive) about $6000 to $9000.
Great cars, all original, good interior, good paint, EVERYTHING works like new. $9000 to $12000.
Special cars, what ever you can get! $12000 and up.

Old Corvettes will not make you rich. It's not an investment unless the car is to be stored in your special climate controlled garage and never driven.
FYI - the market is way down right now for true collectable cars. If you want a collector car, now is the time to buy. Just remember that you can't drive it and keep the value.

Your car would probably fall into the avarage range. The buyer would deduct the cost of removing the after market kit and restoring it to original condition. You could get lucky and find someone who wanted that kit to start with. That would move you up to the Good range.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:15 PM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dlb435
$7000 is a bit hopeful unless the car is in almost perfect. The ground effect kit and the fin actually decrease the value. Most people are looking for a car in as close to original condition as possible.

Things that increase a Corvettes value:
low mileage; less than 30K is great, less than 10K and the price goes way up.
Rare car; one with special factory options that were sold in low numbers. After market stuff does not count.
Famous car; owned by someone famous or used as a pace car, MUST be documented.

Things that lower a Corvettes value:
After market mods.
Bad paint
Bad interior
Salvage car
Not running

Thing that don't really count
high mileage, these cars are over 20 years old and 150K is usually fine if the car has been well cared for.
window tint
tires, after market or later model rims
brake upgrades
replacement radio, only a collector will insist on the Bose system.
Repainted car, here again, only a collector will insist on original paint.

Cars that need work have sold from FREE to about $3500, depending on condition.
Average cars (most stuff works, needs a little work and/or paint) go from about $2500 to $6000. (your uncle might sell you his old Vette for $2500 and wish you luck)
Good cars (good paint, interior and ready to drive) about $6000 to $9000.
Great cars, all original, good interior, good paint, EVERYTHING works like new. $9000 to $12000.
Special cars, what ever you can get! $12000 and up.

Old Corvettes will not make you rich. It's not an investment unless the car is to be stored in your special climate controlled garage and never driven.
FYI - the market is way down right now for true collectable cars. If you want a collector car, now is the time to buy. Just remember that you can't drive it and keep the value.

Your car would probably fall into the avarage range. The buyer would deduct the cost of removing the after market kit and restoring it to original condition. You could get lucky and find someone who wanted that kit to start with. That would move you up to the Good range.
This may be the most thoughtful response I've seen to a "what's it worth" question.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:46 PM
tntbudke
6th Gear

Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it. I see the pictures finally got downloaded. Well hopefully I can sell it for a reasonable price. A friend told me to put it on ebay, but I don't know exactly how that works. So I will probally just advertise locally and see how things go. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:50 PM
floridamale
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see no photos. OK they are in your my Corvette photos, after market hood wheels, exhaust. Can't tell if he car has front ground affects looks like just rockers & rear no interior or motor photos . Looks clean any drivability issues how is the rubber and weather striping

Last edited by floridamale; 06-15-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:54 PM
tntbudke
6th Gear

When I click on My Corvette Photos, they are there. I also found them under Photo Albums, recently added.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:05 PM
floridamale
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tntbudke
When I click on My Corvette Photos, they are there. I also found them under Photo Albums, recently added.
You only have the 3 photos

You could try the for sale section here also

Last edited by floridamale; 06-15-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:14 PM
tntbudke
6th Gear

new tires, only about 100 miles on them. I have been looking at different rims, or at least trying to find out what kind they are so I can order the center cap. I just had the seats redone last winter, purple and black. Replaced some of the weather stripping around windows As far as the front ground effects, no there is nothing on the front. I thought about ordering some, but not sure what yet. It already sits so low, I worry about scratching it. Like I said earlier I am new to this and that's probally why I am considering selling. I will take some more pictures of inside and motor and post.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:31 PM
floridamale
Safety Car

new tires, only about 100 miles on them. I have been looking at different rims, or at least trying to find out what kind they are so I can order the center cap. I just had the seats redone last winter, purple and black. Replaced some of the weather stripping around windows As far as the front ground effects, no there is nothing on the front. I thought about ordering some, but not sure what yet. It already sits so low, I worry about scratching it. Like I said earlier I am new to this and that's probally why I am considering selling. I will take some more pictures of inside and motor and post.
Front ground affects won't sit any lower then the rubber piece on the bottom, I wouldn't put any more money into the cat at this point if you are going to sell it, you won't get any more for it. Good Luck

Get notified of new replies

To 1987 Vette Value

Old 06-16-2009, 10:12 AM
RedVette84
Safety Car

Old 06-16-2009, 05:44 PM
Billy Stargazer
Pro

I was hoping to get between $7500 - $9,000. Prices in this area range from 6000 - 15000. I guess I will have to list it and see what happens. Any opinion on selling on ebay?
I paid $9K for my 87 with 89000 miles but that was almost 5 years ago. It was, and still is in pristine condition. I use it as a daily driver for about 7-8 months of the year.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:28 AM
Jumba5525
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mojave
This is the widest spread in price I have seen. It's okay if you don't know the value of a car but don't just push out two numbers and hope to hit the mark.

Quick Reply: 1987 Vette Value