Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What was it like living in the 70s and 80s when...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
I feel ya...Traded a 401 SST Javelin for an 8 ball once.
The good ol days.
LMFAO

Jim
Old 08-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,098 Likes on 665 Posts

My fondest memories was from a friend of mine that had the coolest cars in the late 70 from the muscle era. His dad had a dealership and he would get classics (now) that he would drive me around in. I have no idea how he could afford the insurance.

Nobody wanted these as they were gas hogs - not to mention insurance was almost unattanable. Please were dumping them like crazy during the Carter Gas crisis. He would get them for next to nothing. Now I see them going on the auctions on TV for $100K!

The list is so long, but he had:

1. 69 Boss 302. Used to drive me into college -30 minutes drive. Took a tank of gas EACH way. Never needed to shift it out of 1st gear even going 60MPH. That this was an awesome car.

2. 69 or 70 442 Vert. The thing was like a boat. Had a 4 speed Hurst shifter. Threw you back in the seat like a bat out of hell.

The one thing he never had was a Vette.

He had so many others, but those were the best. My fondest memories in college.

Also vivid is the memories of the first car I owned. It was a hand-me-down from my sister. A bright Orange Chevy Vega. Supurb build quality - what a POS! To start it, I had to get out and work the choke by hand. But I could not lean my hand on the fender as my hand would go thru the fender because of rust. I recall the exuberance as I was able to get it to go 50 MPH down hill on the interstate! All time speed record.

Last edited by Flame Red; 08-07-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Flame Red
My fondest memories in college.
You can remember college??
Some nice cars btw.

Jim
Old 08-07-2009, 06:07 PM
RLG
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 8 track works and I love Highway to hell.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RLG
The 8 track works and I love Highway to hell.
Yep, as long as you have a pack of matches jammed between the 8 track player and cartridge
Jim
Old 08-07-2009, 07:31 PM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 841 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default hot rods

Originally Posted by CStewTAMU
Horsepower was stripped of pretty much all cars. Was the 84 Corvette exciting when it came out? Or were people grumbling about the weak 205hp?

Were cars really boring? I just cant imagine what it would be like if we went through another 1971 again.

What kept people excited about cars in this era?
I drove all classic sixty's muscle cars then. All vettes and camaro's.

It was great times. No smog laws, run with open headers, and lots of partying. Got arrested a few times for out running cops, Drag racing, etc.

I miss those days sometimes.

Corvette Mike
Old 08-07-2009, 08:23 PM
RLG
Burning Brakes

Sweet 90, Yeah I remember doing that .

I sent this one off to Wards classic radio. It works perfect.

The only change I made was in the center speaker.

There is a company called "speedin of garden" that had a center speaker that had two speakers in it instead of the one mono, and was a direct replacement for the original.

It took me little bit of time but I was able to wire the crossover box to produce the right channel and the left channel to use the two speakers in the center.

So i get right channel with 2 speakers and left channel the same .

It's better than the mono that was piped into the center speaker when the 8 track played.

Mike, I miss those days every time I drive the GTX. At 19 years old with a brand new Coronet R/T I was in heaven.

Bob
Old 08-07-2009, 09:32 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 233 Likes on 165 Posts

IT did suck. I just made my own horsepower. My C3 was rated something like 165 HP. It was no big thing to add flat top pistons, 186 heads, a cam, headers and a good intake. Ran 13s and went every where every day.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:08 PM
CStewTAMU
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JackDidley
IT did suck. I just made my own horsepower. My C3 was rated something like 165 HP. It was no big thing to add flat top pistons, 186 heads, a cam, headers and a good intake. Ran 13s and went every where every day.
Yea, but most folks don't have the know how, time, tools and or money to perform a task like that.

I wonder if we are on the verge of another dreadful 1971.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:17 PM
dreamer2468
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

My first car that I bought and paid for was a Pontiac, and the guy I bought it from was a gear head, and that thing was FAST! LOL,

first nite I drove it cruisin town, I hit the gas, and burned rubber right in front of a cop. Needless to say I got pulled over, but not ticketed.

I explained to him how I had just bought the car, and didnt realize exactly what I had under the hood until that point.

That was when I first starting learning about cars, and I have expanded that through the years.

The coolest car around town at that point was a Chevy SS, deep purple paint that changed to black in certain light, and had lacing on the hood.

That car was hot, fast, and gorgeous!

Laura
Old 08-08-2009, 10:31 PM
bimsie
Pro

Originally Posted by CStewTAMU
I wonder if we are on the verge of another dreadful 1971.
then you'll have chairman obama-hitler to thank for expediting profoundly stupid laws from profoundly stupid policy. blame the ones who hired him -- his minion voters.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:25 AM
KRG'S 85
Intermediate

That's right...just like Nixon gave us the 70's. Not trying to make a political point rather that pointing out historical fact.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Rathbone
Racer

Originally Posted by bimsie
then you'll have chairman obama-hitler to thank for expediting profoundly stupid laws from profoundly stupid policy. blame the ones who hired him -- his minion voters.
At least in the '70's we still valued the Free Market and Deomocracy. People now don't even know why capitalism and Democracy are better than communism.

I was 14 in '84 and my family worked on cars for a living. I remember being disappointed that the styling was alot more reserved than it had ever been before.

The '84 broke all of the rules. It seem really exotic and almost foreign. Remember that it isn't really fiberglass but some kind of composite material. That blew everyone's mind. We were told you had to buy special expensive paint to fix one or the paint wouldn't stick. No one knew how to the composite material it at the time. I remember people saying "you can't fix them" if there's any damage.

I remember the first one I ever saw was in an auction yard where my Dad used to buy wrecks to repair and resell. They had just come out and it sold cheap because you couldn't get used parts for the body and new parts were made of "unobtainium". Dad didn't even put a bid in on the car. I still remember how shocked I was when he explained every tire on the car was different - a different size or a different hand. I thought that was crazy. My Dad's shop rotated tires all of the time - but you couldn't do that on a Vette. Then started the horror stories about the digital dash.

I never liked them, until the C5 came out. Then I decided maybe the C4 wasn't that bad after all.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:04 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by Sweet 90
Yep, as long as you have a pack of matches jammed between the 8 track player and cartridge
Jim

I had forgot about that. They would double track and tried to play two songs at once

Quick Reply: What was it like living in the 70s and 80s when...