C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 door speaker/amp replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Bossco
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 door speaker/amp replacement

Trying to replace front door speaker/and remove amp. Don't know how to get the speaker box(Boise) out of the door. Can anyone help me? Oh - I'ts a 84'

Thanks for the responses so far..I'm new to the forum but need a lot of help..thanks again

Last edited by Bossco; 11-16-2009 at 06:53 PM. Reason: I didn't indicate year of my C4
Old 11-16-2009, 04:25 PM
bdw18_123
Drifting

Location: Prather, California -1990 ZR-1 White/Flame Red- -SOLD!!-
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would help to know what year your vette is. Since you said your trying to get the speaker out of the door, I assume you have '89 or earlier. I don't know much about the interiors of the earlier C4's, so I'll let someone else chime in.

Last edited by bdw18_123; 11-16-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:59 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Try the search feature here. I typed in speaker replacement and found this:http://forums.corvetteforum.com/audi...audio-faq.html
You try it and type in C4 door panel removal and you will find a wealth of info!
Old 11-16-2009, 05:00 PM
megtom2
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If it is like our 86 it looks/sounds harder than it is.
http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereor...etteFspk89.htm
I have gone in a few times now so I have it down pretty good now. If you want to go cheap on a replacement go to a junkyard and look over late 80s/early 90s Cadilacs or early 90s maximas. There should be plenty the fun part is looking for ones with the Bose system. Good luck.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:51 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not too bad. Just time consuming. Just follow the pictures in the above link as that is what I did with my 89. I cut out the bose wiring and ran new 16 gauge wire and put in some Alpine 4" speakers into the front bose box. The PO had Memphis 4" speakers in there and used the Bose wiring.

The only problem I had was getting the passenger door panel back on as I started that today. Haven't tried the driver side yet. I lowered the window and got the door panel to hang correctly. It was kinda hard getting that metal rod into the slot for the manual door lock thing. I had noticed the middle of the door panel doesn't line up with those two door handle screws. I had to use my knee to push the center of the door panel in while I put those screws in. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to do that or not.

I ended up checking the power lock, and it didn't work for some reason. So, I pulled it off and plan to look at it tommorrow. I had swaped the hatch and power door lock switches around cause I only use those on the driver side and figured the passenger side would be like new. I did clean the power lock switch while it was out, so that may have messed it up as it was working before I pulled the panel off.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 door speaker/amp replacement

Quick Reply: C4 door speaker/amp replacement