C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Fog lamp lens broken

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 10:27 AM
BADRACR1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fog lamp lens broken

Well, last Thursday coming to work a rock somehow found its way into my passenger fog lamp/blinker assy. It hit the fog lamp lens, next to the blinker. Didn't hurt the blinker side, but the fog lamp has a 2" square hole in it. Can the lens and bezel be seperated, or will I need an assembly? I found an assembly on Fleabay, but the mounting tabs are broken. I could use the lens part if they are easy to seperate & reseal. Anyone done this? To install will I need to remove the bumper? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:47 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

With some careful prying and patience, the lens can be removed and replaced then sealed up with some RTV.

It's probably easier to just replace the whole unit but, it is expensive.

Yes, the bumper assembly must be removed to replace the fog light.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:14 PM
BADRACR1
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the info. I suspected as much looking at it. It didn't appear that it would come out without removing the bumper as best I could remember. Oh, well. Project time! I think while I have it apart I'm going to rewire my fog lamps so I can use them without the headlights being on.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:36 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

While the bumper is off take the time to clean all the backside of the lenses
Old 12-28-2009, 07:18 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by BADRACR1
Thanks for the info. I suspected as much looking at it. It didn't appear that it would come out without removing the bumper as best I could remember. Oh, well. Project time! I think while I have it apart I'm going to rewire my fog lamps so I can use them without the headlights being on.
The fog lamps should be able to be turned on with just the parking lights on. Once the headlights are on, the fogs work on low beam and turn off when you hit the high beams.

It's pretty hard to get higher wattage bulbs in the fogs too. Because the unit is sealed, there is no ventilation and the head from the higher wattage bulbs can melt the ABS plastic. And because of the design of the lens, the beam pattern doesn't really do a lot of good.

If you wind up with a spare lamp assembly, you might try to figure out how to split the turn signal part off by cutting the assembly in half, seal the turn signal side up and then install a purpose-built driving lamp assembly that fits in the opening where the fogs were.

That way they car be powered independently through a relay and heavy wiring and you will have a unit that will have much more light output.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:02 PM
BADRACR1
Melting Slicks

84's are different than the rest on the fog lamps. They only turn on with the low beam headlights on. The switch is next to the headlamp switch and is a rocker-type switch. Both my 84's were that way. I want to fix it where I can use the f/l with the parking lamps.
There is a divider in my lamps to seperate the fog & blinker parts. The rock caught the lens next to the divider, so the blinker side works fine. Killed the fog lamp though!

Get notified of new replies

To Fog lamp lens broken

Quick Reply: Fog lamp lens broken