Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 06:08 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Default Front wheel distance from body fender

While Iw as measuring stuff, i noticed my drivers side wheel seems to be closer to teh fender than the passenger side wheel.

Frame isn't bent, body is on frame straight, near as I can tell, but it almost looks as if the front crossmember was shifted about 1/2" to the left, moving teh right wheel in some and the left wheel out.

Is my car weird, or all they all like this?

Never let an engineer or machinist start inspecting car bodies, as most car bodies are not uniform or have true bilateral symmetry, and it bugs us.

Doug
Old 01-18-2010, 06:44 PM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

The wheels don't line up perfectly in the front fender wells of my 67. My 66 was perfect but neither of my 67's is (one had been hit, but my big block car has not been). I am a mechanical engineer by degree and I work in a production machine shop, so I have a have a caliper or mic within reach at nearly all times. The vastness of tolerances that apply to vintage car bodies and frames are mind-blowing compared to what I work with in my day job. And I have a mild case of OCD on top of it. It's a tortured existence, for sure
Old 01-18-2010, 07:59 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Dropping a weighted plumb line from the side of the trim chrome, right over axle centerline suggests the fender is fatter on the passenger side as compared to drivers side, comparing bumper position to tread edge shows much smaller variance.

Passenger side fender looks like it may be bulged out a bit on top of wheel opening compared to drivers side, making the wheel look further in, but I still think the drivers wheel is further out than the passenger wheel, only getting underneath and doing precise frame measuring would tell for sure. I think front of the body is shifted to the right about 1/4", as mounted on the frame, either from time, body mounting hole location misplacement, or from unknown past trauma.

Totally irrelevant, but as you say, OCD/perfectionism can make things interesting WRT old cars.

The guy body guy that did my car told me to remember that you can only see one side at a time, and he said, coach work is anything but symmetrical or precise.

Doug
Old 01-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Glasshole
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are both rims the same width with the same offset? I had similar problems and found there were 2 rims with more offset. I guess bubba replaced them with what he could find at the time.....

Bob
Old 01-18-2010, 08:47 PM
David Schuster
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I started on my 1960 project there was a significant difference. Over 1 inch difference.
When the body was off I discovered a bend in the front frame horns.
I straightened that out and when I put the body back on I found I could shift the body back and forth a fair amount. Careful measurements before I tightened the body down brought it to near perfect. I know it doesn't matter a lot but I wanted it right. It is now!
Dave
Old 01-19-2010, 03:18 AM
mechron
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Dropping a weighted plumb line from the side of the trim chrome, right over axle centerline suggests the fender is fatter on the passenger side as compared to drivers side, comparing bumper position to tread edge shows much smaller variance.

Passenger side fender looks like it may be bulged out a bit on top of wheel opening compared to drivers side, making the wheel look further in, but I still think the drivers wheel is further out than the passenger wheel, only getting underneath and doing precise frame measuring would tell for sure. I think front of the body is shifted to the right about 1/4", as mounted on the frame, either from time, body mounting hole location misplacement, or from unknown past trauma.

Totally irrelevant, but as you say, OCD/perfectionism can make things interesting WRT old cars.

The guy body guy that did my car told me to remember that you can only see one side at a time, and he said, coach work is anything but symmetrical or precise.

Doug
AZ, this is normal. your C1 is older than my C2 coupe. who knows how many hack body guys have done glass work on your car. (no offence intended, your car looks great..)) who knows if the frame has been bent or twisted over the years or has been in how many crashes (looking at the pics your car is great.)

My buddy DOKK's 65 has been hit (as almost ALL C2s h have).

AZ, i have used a plumb bob to set up my car, used it to to show DOKK how to set up his car.

DOKK was amazed. we made marks on the floor.it was better than computer alignment that these kids who no clue.
'
Old 05-29-2019, 09:34 AM
1995C4New2Me!
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK; I've just noticed this on my 95 C4, never noticed it prior to replacing a rear tire (picked up a nail); and now it bugs the **** out of me......my research came up with everything from "live with it", "yea it's common" to some type of rear differential alignment correction. So; I'm still a little confused; Questions:

Q. Is this a common problem on the C4s?

Q. Since it isn't affecting the drive (no sway, no wobble), should I bother with it?

Q. Anybody know how to correct it and if so a good Ohio shop?

Q. Anybody else experiencing, have this problem?

Thanks

JPL/Ohio

Get notified of new replies

To Front wheel distance from body fender

Quick Reply: Front wheel distance from body fender