C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 Headlight Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 04:10 PM
morrowjg
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 Headlight Problem

I have a 96 CE LT4 coupe that I've owned since new, a daily driver until last January with over 100K miles. Recently the right headlight has started going up and down exactly 5 times before stopping in mid-cycle when the headlights are turned on. When cycling the motor is obviously torquing and binding somewhere, because it's wiggling back and forth despite being firmly attached. You can finish the cycle by turning the motor ****. Retraction is no problem. Following instructions found on this site I removed the headlight assembly with the thought of replacing the delrin bearings but after removing the motor from the headlight assembly I was unable to get the large nylon gear out of the housing. I did note that the gear casing was clean with no shards of plastic in the housing. I have checked everything, lubed everything, reinstalled the motor and it still happens. I know that there are pivot bushings involved in the assembly but since I don't know where they are supposed to be I obviously don't know if any are missing. Any ideas are welcome.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:41 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

I had a problem very Similar to your's, and it turned out to be the head light bezel was hitting the Coolant recovery tank, Aluminum pipe..when the hood was down, with the hood up the head light worked perfect.

I went ahead and replaced the Nylon gear, and bushings any how, and was surprised to find the old one's in good condition.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:20 AM
morrowjg
3rd Gear

Default Headlight issue

It does it whether hood up or hood down. I have watched the entire mechanism working with the hood up, that's how I know that there is some kind of binding and that the motor torques and moves during operation. Thanks for the suggestion.

I still suspect that there are some bushings that have worn out and are missing. I just don't know what they look like and/or where they are supposed to go.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:58 PM
gilsfour
Advanced

Default C4 Headlight Problem

You might refer to the following: http://www.mamotorworks.com/PressReleas ... rticle.pdf

The article has some good pics in it. The bushings are under the big worm gear.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:49 AM
morrowjg
3rd Gear

Thanks for your reply and for the reference thread. I've checked those internal busings and they are OK. I suspect that there are bushings which are worn out and/or missing from the actual external linkage pivot points because there seems to be excessive 'play' in two locations on this linkage, one at the pivot point where the offset arm is attached to the actual motor and then one forward of that near the actual headlight pivot point.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:48 PM
sumrtoy
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

THANK YOU! This just happened to me.. .right before VA inspection while I was in line. Looked up the symptoms on C4 Forum on my phone. This popped up... took 3 seconds to fix. Car passed.

Originally Posted by desertmike1
I had a problem very Similar to your's, and it turned out to be the head light bezel was hitting the Coolant recovery tank, Aluminum pipe..when the hood was down, with the hood up the head light worked perfect.

I went ahead and replaced the Nylon gear, and bushings any how, and was surprised to find the old one's in good condition.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:24 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by morrowjg
Thanks for your reply and for the reference thread. I've checked those internal busings and they are OK. I suspect that there are bushings which are worn out and/or missing from the actual external linkage pivot points because there seems to be excessive 'play' in two locations on this linkage, one at the pivot point where the offset arm is attached to the actual motor and then one forward of that near the actual headlight pivot point.
Look on ebay they have a set of those bushings too. If you did not get the gear off you did not see the ground up bushings. I drilled two spots in the gear shaft and used two oring picks to lever the gear off.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 06-13-2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:16 PM
ccrazor
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Look on ebay they have a set of those bushings too. If you did not get the gear off you did not see the ground up bushings. I drilled two spots in the gear shaft and used two oring picks to lever the gear off.
Check the date you're replying to...

LOL
Old 06-13-2016, 10:46 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by ccrazor
Check the date you're replying to...

LOL
Old 06-14-2016, 04:48 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by morrowjg
I have a 96 CE LT4 coupe that I've owned since new, a daily driver until last January with over 100K miles. Recently the right headlight has started going up and down exactly 5 times before stopping in mid-cycle when the headlights are turned on. When cycling the motor is obviously torquing and binding somewhere, because it's wiggling back and forth despite being firmly attached. You can finish the cycle by turning the motor ****. Retraction is no problem. Following instructions found on this site I removed the headlight assembly with the thought of replacing the delrin bearings but after removing the motor from the headlight assembly I was unable to get the large nylon gear out of the housing. I did note that the gear casing was clean with no shards of plastic in the housing. I have checked everything, lubed everything, reinstalled the motor and it still happens. I know that there are pivot bushings involved in the assembly but since I don't know where they are supposed to be I obviously don't know if any are missing. Any ideas are welcome.
In order to get out the nylon gear, as far as i remember since that's a lot of time that i'm not going to work on headlamp motor, you should gently hammer on the axis, that is connected to nylon gear

Last edited by Christi@n; 06-14-2016 at 04:49 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Headlight Problem

Quick Reply: C4 Headlight Problem