C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 Targa top..can I repair it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 06:27 PM
ED77KATR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C4 Targa top..can I repair it?

I have a nice Solid painted Targa top for my 1991. The top[shell] is separating from the frame on the Drivers rear side. It looks as if it was glued together??? at the factory. Are they glued to the frames?? if so can I reglue that part? and what kind of glue is used? Thanks Ed
Old 03-29-2010, 06:46 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ED77KATR
I have a nice Solid painted Targa top for my 1991. The top[shell] is separating from the frame on the Drivers rear side. It looks as if it was glued together??? at the factory. Are they glued to the frames?? if so can I reglue that part? and what kind of glue is used? Thanks Ed
Yes, the top is glued down to the frame. Is yours a factory OEM top, or an aftermarket top?

You can try squeezing some glue in there and clamp it down for 24 hours. Not sure of what glue to use, but I believe some have used some windshield glue that you can get at Autozone. They say most of these quick fixes don't last.

If part of it is coming unglued, then you will want to check all the other sides as well.

Odds are if that part is failing, then the rest is already starting to fail, or may fail in the future. It may be best and the safest to get the top rebuilt. You don't want the top to do flying and hit another car while you are going down the road.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:18 PM
blackbear bob
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I just had my top rebuilt at a local body shop. They do them for the Chevy dealer in town. It is a special two part adhesive that they used . On my top the problem was that the aluminum frame had started to oxidize, causing the skin to separate. They removed the skin, media blasted the frame and repainted it, repainted the roof skin, reattached it and installed new side seals that I supplied. They only charged me $200. I still need to put in the new headliner, but the top looks brand new and should last quite a good while. Total outlay about $450, but the results and the security of not having your roof fly off were worth it.
Bob
The following users liked this post:
mcm95403 (12-02-2020)
Old 03-29-2010, 07:30 PM
chuck13
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbear bob
I just had my top rebuilt at a local body shop. They do them for the Chevy dealer in town. It is a special two part adhesive that they used . On my top the problem was that the aluminum frame had started to oxidize, causing the skin to separate. They removed the skin, media blasted the frame and repainted it, repainted the roof skin, reattached it and installed new side seals that I supplied. They only charged me $200. I still need to put in the new headliner, but the top looks brand new and should last quite a good while. Total outlay about $450, but the results and the security of not having your roof fly off were worth it.
Bob

man thats a lot of work for not much money!

i re-lensed my clear top with a piece i bought off of a
forum member,and my friend at the glass repair shop
loaned me the primer and adhesive to bond it on.even
with me doing the work myself i still spent way more than
that!
Old 03-30-2010, 05:31 AM
ED77KATR
Drifting

For the record its a Factory solid top....What type or brand glue is used? thanks Ed
Old 03-30-2010, 08:34 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Ed, you may be better off going to ebay and buying a top in good shape to start with.. I just looked on there for you and there are several to choose from...WW
Old 11-17-2017, 11:19 AM
bondouvich@aol.com
6th Gear

Default Targa top repair

You have to completely remove Targa and scrape all of the old adhesive wipe completely down with 91 % alcohol. Then get a tube of windshield urethane, apply a 3/8 bread around frame, you'll have to clamp together and let dry... Pretty simple if you have good mechanical skills.. Good luck.
jv9999 (02-18-2021)
Old 11-17-2017, 06:09 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

I re-bonded the acrylic top on my '84 about ten years ago, and it's doing fine. It's been tested in hot weather, and at 125 mph, so I'm pretty confident that's something I don't need to worry about! I've posted my procedure several times for others who have had problems, and here's a link to one of them:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ir-advice.html

Don't use any RTV or epoxy adhesives. They won't last! This Betaseal adhesive is super sticky, and will work on your fiberglass top very nicely. Do use the primer on the aluminum frame! The literature says "primeless" in some places, but they are talking about bonding glass to steel.

Natty C (01-12-2020)
Old 11-18-2017, 05:46 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

This thread is over 7 years old, I'm sure he has figured out the problem by now.......WW
Old 11-19-2017, 04:05 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Yep, gotta watch those dates! Bondouvich did some good research to find this old thread. Maybe my 10 year old procedure will help someone anyway!

There's always guys trying to join the FRC!

(Flying Roof Club)
The following 2 users liked this post by Hot Rod Roy:
Keith Jemison (02-18-2021), mcm95403 (12-02-2020)
Old 02-18-2021, 07:59 PM
Keith Jemison
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It just helped me... Thank you

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Targa top..can I repair it?

Quick Reply: C4 Targa top..can I repair it?