C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

car dead!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 10:37 PM
Waspination
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car dead!!!

so I drive to the post office. Shut the car off for 1 minute. I come back.. and engine wont start.

I had volts to 11.9 and still just turn once.. stop, then dash goes out and i hear clicks.
Now this thing died about a week ago cuz i head radio on and lights on for 2 hours (seemed short to me). After a long hour and a half of trying to get it to jump start... it finally did. I couldnt get the volts up, but i think i did something wrong with the cables so volts were stuck at 9. Last try i used different ground and finally shot up to 12 so that worked.

So today I put jumper cables on it this time and it was 12.4 and still would just turn once and die.

Just some history... Cold starts are fine. When engine is hot... it would always hesitate to start by turning once.. stop. then slowly start. Never knew why but my friend said starter.

So back to today. I let the jumper charge like 5-10 minutes. And even put a starter box on with the cables for extra emph. STARTS UP.

I'm wondering if anyone could guide me to a direction on this. Is it battery, alternator, starter... or something else? I put a fuse in not too long ago that was missing that powers the door light and horn, etc. Was thinking mabe it is draining the battery (maybe why it was missing before i got this car). But that seems to not explain the difficult jump starts. I pulled that fuse when i tried jump starting.

One last detail. Checked the cells in the battery. One cell doesnt bubble. problem? We charged the battery fully and it started quickly.

Just to repeat.. Is it battery, alternator, starter... or something else?
Any help is appreciated. Id rather ask here first than go to the mechanic.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:50 PM
Jamie Lennartson
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Waspination
so I drive to the post office. Shut the car off for 1 minute. I come back.. and engine wont start.

I had volts to 11.9 and still just turn once.. stop, then dash goes out and i hear clicks.
Now this thing died about a week ago cuz i head radio on and lights on for 2 hours (seemed short to me). After a long hour and a half of trying to get it to jump start... it finally did. I couldnt get the volts up, but i think i did something wrong with the cables so volts were stuck at 9. Last try i used different ground and finally shot up to 12 so that worked.

So today I put jumper cables on it this time and it was 12.4 and still would just turn once and die.

Just some history... Cold starts are fine. When engine is hot... it would always hesitate to start by turning once.. stop. then slowly start. Never knew why but my friend said starter.

So back to today. I let the jumper charge like 5-10 minutes. And even put a starter box on with the cables for extra emph. STARTS UP.

I'm wondering if anyone could guide me to a direction on this. Is it battery, alternator, starter... or something else? I put a fuse in not too long ago that was missing that powers the door light and horn, etc. Was thinking mabe it is draining the battery (maybe why it was missing before i got this car). But that seems to not explain the difficult jump starts. I pulled that fuse when i tried jump starting.

One last detail. Checked the cells in the battery. One cell doesnt bubble. problem? We charged the battery fully and it started quickly.

Just to repeat.. Is it battery, alternator, starter... or something else?
Any help is appreciated. Id rather ask here first than go to the mechanic.
could be all 3 i left the light in the door panel on once for about 2 days and it still started up
My volts read 14 something and clicking is always bad.
" I Have a 87 to "
Ive been pretty much all thru the car so if u need to know anything let me know!
Old 04-21-2010, 11:01 PM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would start by cleaning your battery cables and battery terminals and make sure they're good and tight. I'd probably do the same on the starter connections, too. Keep an eye on your voltage gauge to make sure you're charging your battery. Sounds like your starter is on it's way out though.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:04 PM
Waspination
Racer

Originally Posted by Hokies83
could be all 3 i left the light in the door panel on once for about 2 days and it still started up
My volts read 14 something and clicking is always bad.
" I Have a 87 to "
Ive been pretty much all thru the car so if u need to know anything let me know!
OH YEa theres lots id like to know. One of these days im gonna take pics and post up here the things im not sure about or dont look right. ITs just ive never really had mechanical experience beside oil changes till i got this car. Im motivated to fix it up little by little but just not very knowledgeable to get it done.

I have done little things that polish it up. like got the front spoiler on... got new radio so it actaully works, cleaned that dust corners in this car cuz it sat for awhile before i got it. Got the new visors almost done.
Just did the oil and spark plugs.

But this issue bugs me cuz could be any of the 3 things... or all like you say.. ugh.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:52 AM
jimmers
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Well my bet is that either the battery is toast or somthing is up with the cables. The clicking you hear under the dash is a relay that starts clicking when the battery is low. I doubt it's the starter because you say the dash lights will go out. Seems to me like there's not enough juice to start the car. Take the battery out and get it tested.

Last edited by jimmers; 04-22-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:58 AM
1st87
Racer

where were you 2mos ago? my front left caliper drags...changed everything that deals with front brakes-waiting for my abs system to be shipped from tx. if that doesn't solve the problem then they'll be a nice 87 up for sale...
Old 04-22-2010, 11:41 AM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

^^

OP, The battery is just dead.

Sure a battery will take a charge but that doesn't mean it has "cranking amps"

$80 will fix you right up. And if not then you wasted your cash......So next time you get it to start, take it to the Autoparts store and have them pull a test on it.......They'll tell you what you need to know in 10 minutes
Old 04-22-2010, 11:45 AM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by jhammons01
^^

OP, The battery is just dead.

Sure a battery will take a charge but that doesn't mean it has "cranking amps"

$80 will fix you right up. And if not then you wasted your cash......So next time you get it to start, take it to the Autoparts store and have them pull a test on it.......They'll tell you what you need to know in 10 minutes
Old 04-22-2010, 04:27 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Good thing you have an early C4. On the Blue One (1987), after removing the cruise control and associated bracket, the battery lifted up and out.

On the Red One (1995), it wasn't so. GM added a huge structural member over the battery to tie the firewall to the frame. You have to remove the lower front fender panel behind the front wheel to get the battery out. Flex the loose panel outwards and pull the battery out sideways behind the front wheel. Just did it a few weeks ago.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:11 PM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by F22
Good thing you have an early C4. On the Blue One (1987), after removing the cruise control and associated bracket, the battery lifted up and out.
Why??
I just removed the Gill side panel and slid the battery out on mine.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:12 PM
jvette44
Instructor

I agree with the Oilers cat!! Removing the side gill is easy and quickest way to remove/replace a battery!
Old 04-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

Received 241 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

Just a dead battery, time to get off the wallet and buy a new one......
Old 04-22-2010, 08:22 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

If it won't start hot, most likely the starter/ starter solenoid has had it and when it gets heat soaked, the coil insulation may be bad and it gets saturated without the full magnetism to pull in the spring.

Sounds like you might also be running into a weak battery at the same time...break out the wallet.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:23 PM
jimmers
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweet 90
Why??
I just removed the Gill side panel and slid the battery out on mine.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:35 PM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

Received 241 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

Originally Posted by mike100
If it won't start hot, most likely the starter/ starter solenoid has had it and when it gets heat soaked, the coil insulation may be bad and it gets saturated without the full magnetism to pull in the spring.

Sounds like you might also be running into a weak battery at the same time...break out the wallet.
Went dead after leaving the radio on for 2 hours.... not a stater, just a dead battery. A hot engine takes more amps to start than a cold one also explains easy cold starts............
Old 04-22-2010, 10:07 PM
Waspination
Racer

UPDATE~
Took the battery to autozone. It was bad and the battery was from 2001!
Got a new one. Started up and i tested a hot start and it started right up.

Only bad thing was the slow service at autozone. 2 guys working helping cutomers and phones. i think i was there almost 45 minutes. ppl in line walked out

Get notified of new replies

To car dead!!!

Quick Reply: car dead!!!