Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Should I take the vette on the road trip?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Z06X
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's meant to be driven not stored....
Old 06-04-2010, 06:05 PM
2012 coupe
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Trip

Originally Posted by MJinPA
Going to Columbus, OH this weekend. It's a 800 mile roundtrip. My vette is primarily a weekend car, as I've only done one roadtrip over 4 hrs in the 2 years i've had it. My concerns are of course, the chance of thunderstorms every day, the road debris on the miserable PA turnpike and the tight and crowded parking at a well known drinking establishment that I know I'll be visiting.

Should I take it or not? Honest opinions welcome including the bashing I'll probably get from a few.
I have 282,000 miles on it. It has been all over the US and Canada.
Take it.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:13 PM
floridamale
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drive the dam thing and enjoy it, that is what it's for
Old 06-04-2010, 06:14 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Drove my old '92 vert from WA state to Bowling Green and back for the 50th Anniversary Caravan. 6600 miles in 11 driving days. Did triple digits in all 16 states that I passed thru. Not one single issue.

Like prepping any other car for a long trip, it's wise to check the fluid levels, tire pressure, tread depth, and clean everything. Check the brake pads. Replace the wiper blades or inserts if there is rain in the forecast. Fill the washer tank. If the battery is more than 5 years old, have it load tested.

For the road debris, you can throw on a really thick coat of a cheap wax on the nose and around the wheel well openings.

Parking the car anywhere (especially a bar parking lot) can result in door dings. If you are really concerned, take a cab. And that way you can drink and not worry about driving home or dealing with drunks in the parking lot.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:18 PM
floridamale
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 1991-C4

Obviously this is your baby and I get that. For many people, owning a Corvette is just a hobby. If you are concerned about driving it in the rain, picking up road debris and where you are going to park, you will be a nervous wreck worrying about your car instead of enjoying your trip. It will never be the same after you get back because it would be nearly impossible to come back from an 800 mile round trip in pristine condition.

Enjoy your Corvette on your terms, but for an extended road trip, get something else!
Your kidding right
Old 06-04-2010, 06:36 PM
Z06X
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say, if it gets chips paint it, if it breaks fix it, but drive it. Long road trips in America's Sports Car are gonna be the things you think about later in life. Land of the free...what better way to live up to it.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:50 PM
1991-C4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by floridamale
Your kidding right
Oh no, I am absolutely serious about him NOT taking his "garage queen" on this road trip.

For me, my Corvette is NOT a "garage queen", a "hobby" car and certainly not an investment. I use it for its intended purpose - transportation. I have probably driven my car more in a month than he has in the entire time he has owned his car. I don't have a problem with that. After all, its his car to do with as he pleases and apparently, he does not want to get caught in the rain, subject the car to road debris and worry about where to park the car once he gets there so he won't get any door dings. Once he gets back from this 800 mile journey, it will never be the same car again. Obviously he is not comfortable with the idea of taking it otherwise he wouldn't be asking!

I do maintain my car. I use OEM parts when I can, but in most cases, I usually buy aftermarket stuff which is just as good if not better than OEM for a lot less money. The body is in OK shape. There is no body damage, but she ain't gonna win a concourse d'elegance!

In reality, I agree with all of you guys who believe the real pleasure in owning a Corvette is driving a Corvette! No question about it. As far as putting on all those miles on the interstate in all sorts of weather, I say so what? Is his car worth more than mine? Almost certainly. As far as the value of my car, hopefully that is something me heirs will worry about!

I am not one of those guys who will not be in his rocking chair on the porch regretting that time I could have been like Buz Murdock and Tod Stiles.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:21 PM
dlb435
Racer

I've done a 1600 mile round trip with my 85. It has 168,000 miles on it. Go for it.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Red.
Instructor

I love the attitude in this thread. Indeed, the Corvette is a sports car that's meant to be enjoyed. If you wanted to have a mint garage queen, then perhaps you should've bought a Porsche.

I do have a tiny bit of advice though..cover the front end if you can with a car bra, black or urethane. Some protective film for the windshield would also be ideal. Paint chips are no fun, and neither are cracked windshields..ask me how I know.

If I were to take my Corvette on a long road trip, I would also check tire pressure before hand, and bring along some fluids. Never know when those can come in handy.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:50 PM
floridamale
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 1991-C4
Oh no, I am absolutely serious about him NOT taking his "garage queen" on this road trip.

For me, my Corvette is NOT a "garage queen", a "hobby" car and certainly not an investment. I use it for its intended purpose - transportation. I have probably driven my car more in a month than he has in the entire time he has owned his car. I don't have a problem with that. After all, its his car to do with as he pleases and apparently, he does not want to get caught in the rain, subject the car to road debris and worry about where to park the car once he gets there so he won't get any door dings. Once he gets back from this 800 mile journey, it will never be the same car again. Obviously he is not comfortable with the idea of taking it otherwise he wouldn't be asking!

I do maintain my car. I use OEM parts when I can, but in most cases, I usually buy aftermarket stuff which is just as good if not better than OEM for a lot less money. The body is in OK shape. There is no body damage, but she ain't gonna win a concourse d'elegance!

In reality, I agree with all of you guys who believe the real pleasure in owning a Corvette is driving a Corvette! No question about it. As far as putting on all those miles on the interstate in all sorts of weather, I say so what? Is his car worth more than mine? Almost certainly. As far as the value of my car, hopefully that is something me heirs will worry about!

I am not one of those guys who will not be in his rocking chair on the porch regretting that time I could have been like Buz Murdock and Tod Stiles.
Route 66 was about not missing out on life and being young and restless the fact they were driving a Corvette was secondary and was use to give the show a hook. You are advising someone to not do something you would do because you understand the enjoyment you would get from doing it. The OP needs to understand that his car won't melt from some rain and he will be able to wash off the road miles. We are talking about a C4 not some collector C1 or C2 which by the way get driven by plenty of guys that understand just what a Corvette is. If he doesn’t understand that he should sell the car and get an import.

Last edited by floridamale; 06-04-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:21 PM
1991-C4
Instructor

Originally Posted by floridamale
If he doesn’t understand that he should sell the car and get an import.
I am on your side 100%. I drive my Corvette... a lot! We don't know what the OP's motivation was when he decided on buying this particular car, but obviously it was not to be a daily driver. Like I said, its his car and his money.

I stopped trying to figure out people on the forums I visit. They ask for an opinion and I give them mine.

Obviously he does not want to risk taking the car on this extended road trip and maybe he just wants some reassurance this it will be OK. Well its not going to be OK! Stuff happens out on the road and that's life. Of course if it rains, we are not the ones who are going to end up spending a weekend detailing his car. Likewise, if he gets a a door ding or some "road rash", no one here is going to volunteer to fix it for him or pay for him to take it to the body shop. People love giving advice as long as they don't have to deal with the consequences.

I also agree that C4's make lousy investments. While they are not particularly "collectable", they are a lot of fun to drive! Is this guy missing out on that fun? We know he is, but that's not what he asked.

There was a post on this forum about a guy who's brother was considering buying a 1991 (or maybe it was a 1992) with 22,000 original miles. My first thought? What a waste!

I still say he should drive some other car that has no sentimental value where he won't care what it looks like after it rains or worry about where he parks and then come back home to his prize and drive it on short trips only when it is clear and sunny.

Its not your car. Why would you care?

Last edited by 1991-C4; 06-04-2010 at 09:23 PM. Reason: To add the last line.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:34 PM
1963SS
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my 95 Vert just before Christmas and have put 12000 miles on it. I've been on several 1000 mile+ roadtrips and I love it. There's not that much debris on the Interstates. Since it's a Vert and I keep the top down 90% of the time I do tend to pack light. A softside suitcase fits if you jump up and down on it three times.

The shaving kit fits in the console (no shaving cream) and I do carry a small pouch of common tools (just in case). I've only had one close call.

While driving spiritedly on a winding, rolling Kentucky back road, I came over a small rise and immediately in front of me was a pig that was almost big as a horse. He was stopped in both lanes and staring at me. I did find out then that the Vette has great brakes. I believe there still may be scuff marks on the bottom of my front bumper. I would have called them skid marks but they were somewhere else.

Let it rain, it's not made of sugar. Drive and enjoy
Old 06-06-2010, 10:10 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Let me go against the grain a little......but before I do, I believe the C4 variety Corvette is a driver's car......not so much a garage decoration, investment to be sold for profit at a later date.........I just don't think this Vette will make that status anytime soon (I hope I'm wrong)

But, my Vette on that trip?? no dice.....rather take something else....I won't worry about it getting hit, weather, problems on the road, and especially parking it at the watering hole.......too many variables for me, but I have more $$ in my C4 than most, so I am sensitive to the "what ifs" out there and prefer pulling it out on nice sunny days out to the country roads and putting her back in the gararge when finished...
Old 06-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Jim Nichols
Racer

I assume you have several good coats of wax on your Corvette, so get in it and go. As far as the bar is concerned, get a ride with a designated driver and enjoy. My 91 is a weekened driver but it has been from the Detroit area to Mt. Washington, NH and to the Tail of the Dragon in Tenn and NC.

By the way, and Forum members that haven't been to those locations should make the trip if you can.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:20 PM
1991-C4
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jim Nichols
I assume you have several good coats of wax on your Corvette...
I realize that I might be at risk of being thought of as a jerk, a troublemaker or worse (and I am getting too old to care about what anybody thinks about me), but why would you assume anything about the way someone you don't know and have never met maintains their car?
Old 06-07-2010, 04:45 AM
Texas Stinger
Burning Brakes

I would. I plan on getting a C4 vert as a daily driver. A trip to Bowling Green will be a must, and I already have thought about road trips to Cali, AZ, NM, and Vegas.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:15 PM
pitchadude
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I took my pologreen 95 over to nashville and then on up to the Museum in KY. The concert we were going to got cancelled and then the vette wouldn't start after stopping in Simpson on the way to museum. Got pushed off by 4 fellows of Mexican nationality and went on up. Defiantly, I was going to the museum no matter what. Knowing it wasn't going to start I parked on the Cafe side and rolled her off down the hill. It was one of the best trips ever. Simply just drive them...who cares if something happens. Maintain it and drive it.

Get notified of new replies

To Should I take the vette on the road trip?

Old 06-07-2010, 08:25 PM
MJinPA
Racer

I ended up breaking down and taking the vette. Actually, it didn't take a whole lot of convincing. I knew I made the right choice 10 min into the trip. Everything went well, no problems (..and I did not go to watering hole BTW). It rained like hell many times over the weekend and I'm sure I picked up a few more souvenirs on the front end, but it was worth it. I averaged 25.9 mpg both ways with cruise set on 77.

She is already washed and resting nicely in her stable. Thanks for opinions guys.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:13 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MJinPA
I ended up breaking down and taking the vette. Actually, it didn't take a whole lot of convincing. I knew I made the right choice 10 min into the trip. Everything went well, no problems (..and I did not go to watering hole BTW). It rained like hell many times over the weekend and I'm sure I picked up a few more souvenirs on the front end, but it was worth it. I averaged 25.9 mpg both ways with cruise set on 77.

She is already washed and resting nicely in her stable. Thanks for opinions guys.
Glad you decided to take the Vette and had a great time! My car gets the best MPGs of anything I own so its definitely my road trip choice. Now if I could just get some new rear tires, I would resemble that remark.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:39 AM
1991-C4
Instructor

Originally Posted by HlhnEast
Now if I could just get some new rear tires, I would resemble that remark.
The spring I put on BFG g-Force Super Sports all around. They were about $200 each installed... from my local Chevy dealer! I honestly think the car rides better than it ever did, even with more expensive tires.

Quick Reply: Should I take the vette on the road trip?