Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 Non Pop Up Projector Headlight System

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 08:49 PM
TIMSTERS VETTE
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely keep us in the loop. Myself, I would prefer the fiberglass, paintable version with no coverplate. I think any kind of coverplate will take away from such a great design.
Myself, I would buy it for a reasonable price $500 - $700
Old 10-01-2010, 10:08 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by j-vette
Does it need the acylic cover? From your first pic I thought your part would follow the lines of the hood with a carved out area for the lights.

With the part painted body color the clear cover kind of disrupts the look. JMO

I think I agree. I think what makes the breathless fixed kit look weird is that they follow the contour of the hood. They aren't the hood, they are headlights, and it's obvious. Some kind of breakup would look better I think. Either acrylic that is raised/bumped, or maybe those with no acrylic and cutout/sunk?

Just a thought.

I also like flippy headlights, but acknowledge the light output is pretty crappy.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:23 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Your design looks best the way it is without any covers.

If the final installed look will appear like a stock closed headlight cover with flush recesses cut out for the projectors then, it'll look Great.

No Acrylic covers are needed and will just cause more problems with condensation, cracking and yellowing.

Last edited by GKK; 10-01-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:37 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by darrylg
You've put a lot of work into these, and they look great! They'll likely appeal to a number of owners, but, for myself, the rotating headlights are one of the cool features of C4s.
Very cool idea though!
Old 10-01-2010, 10:40 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Could you make them so that the design you have is the pop up part of the headlight? So when you flip the lights on, they rotate and expose this design which is more streamline and looks cool/different? Also, to go along with others, I would want to paint mine...
Old 10-02-2010, 12:46 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I'll give you my .02

I have contemplated working on something for the c4 as well and I must agree with others that the headlights rotating is a very neat feature. I NEVER open my headlights i use bright fogs. I prefer the look of the headlights down over anything for a c4. It's clean and sleek.

My opinion on why the exposed headlights dont work on the c4. the body is too narrow. The headlights are too close together. On c5s the front end is very wide and they can pull it off well. the c4 has a large area devoted to headlights and that brings the insides very close together. No matter how you cut it, the c4 will have a sort of cross eyed look that just doesnt look sexy no matter how beautiful your design is (which it is). Brittney Spears pulls it off well, but the c4 I dont think so.

You can move the lights closer to the outer edges of its location, I think it will really help.

I had this idea i wanted to do for a long time but I never got to it because I never open them anyways. FLip the lights open and look at the body colored housing. i wanted to cut a piece out of the middle and replace the big square headlight with a shorter rectangular one . i was never happy my moms 91 Ford Aerostar shared the same giant square headlights.

If this was a design for what the Headlights would look like WHEN OPEN / Flipped up... I'll paypal you my money within minutes.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:48 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by dogfish246
Could you make them so that the design you have is the pop up part of the headlight? So when you flip the lights on, they rotate and expose this design which is more streamline and looks cool/different? Also, to go along with others, I would want to paint mine...
Precisely what I am thinking. +1 on that one.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:33 AM
j-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by slickfx3
someone photo shop them on the car will you?
Body Color

Carbon Style

It was very difficult to match the perspective without distorting the carbon but hope this gives you some idea.

Also tried to install some lamps in the housing

Old 10-02-2010, 08:05 AM
blr33439
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

That is some great work on the photoshop. It is good to see how it looks without the cover. I can redesign the CAD software to make the product without the cover, or I can make a prototype with the cover and then modify it to the style without the cover. How many people want with the cover and how many without. Maybe I could get those interested to send me a email (cover/no cover) through the forum or through my website. Then I can decide which design to develop first. I can have the final product ready probably by December, faster without the clear cover. And I think that painted to match does look better.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:59 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

My take on no cover would be that you could easily get dirt in the recesses to where it would begin to cover the lens and reduce light output. Driving in snow would be a sure way to fill the recess and could reduce light output almost completely. Even thought the surface of the lamp lens would be warm, once snow gets packed in there, it won't melt easily given the cold outside air temps.

An no cover would make it a royal PITA to clean in the recessed area without scratching the painted surface and it could leave standing water.

Another suggestion; would it be possible to use a rectangular shape for the recess? Maybe the lamp assembly could be a single piece where you wouldn't need two separate recesses.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:31 PM
blr33439
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Here is the intended headlight for the housing.

I don't think that this design will be very difficult to clean, but I guess it depends on your environment. A design with an acrylic cover may be better suited if you drive in the snow a lot.
The problem with changing to a different type of headlamp is the quality. These headlamps are high quality projectors, so they maximize light output and are HID compatible. Square lamps that have high/low beams are too big to retrofit into the C4 without bulging out. The breathless performance design uses a rectangle lamp, but they have a round high beam. Also, the rectangular sealed beam headlamp is not an improvement over the stock headlamps. There are few good light choices with the space constraints in the C4.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:45 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Body Color

Carbon Style

It was very difficult to match the perspective without distorting the carbon but hope this gives you some idea.

Also tried to install some lamps in the housing

Nice work!
Old 10-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Alan777
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's hard to tell from that angle, but i think i like the painted ones.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:59 PM
j-vette
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by blr33439
That is some great work on the photoshop.
Thanks man...

Maybe I could get those interested to send me a email (cover/no cover) through the forum or through my website.
Maybe you can add a poll to this thread...? If not maybe start a new thread with a poll.

The poll would let you keep the info central to the thread and allow others to check the direction things seem to be headed...

Just a thought...

Nice work!
Thanks buddy! I thought it came out ok since it was about 3 in the morning and I was still partying

I was using GIMP as I was away from my PS computer. Not to good with gimp. Still learning it...

Old 10-02-2010, 01:26 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Thanks buddy! I thought it came out ok since it was about 3 in the morning and I was still partying

I was using GIMP as I was away from my PS computer. Not to good with gimp. Still learning it...

Its hard enough to learn photoshop, and once you have photoshop down, its hard to use anything else!
Old 10-02-2010, 06:51 PM
blr33439
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Headlight design polls

I started a new poll in the C4 General section. It is to find out the preference for acrylic covers(with or without).

Last edited by blr33439; 10-02-2010 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Started new poll
Old 10-02-2010, 07:57 PM
j-vette
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

I started several polls to gather input on design preferences for the headlights. I have the polls on my website at

http://www.riceperformanceproducts.com/polls.html

Does anyone know how to add a poll to this forum?
There is an option towards the bottom that allows you to add a poll...

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Non Pop Up Projector Headlight System

Old 10-02-2010, 08:00 PM
j-vette
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Its hard enough to learn photoshop, and once you have photoshop down, its hard to use anything else!
I know what ya mean but I like learning (trying to learn anyway) new stuff...

Different software for different jobs. The perspective tool in gimp is pretty good...

Old 10-02-2010, 09:20 PM
SuperL98
Drifting

Received 376 Likes on 253 Posts

Just something about the flat light kits I just don’t like … I don’t know

Something like this C5 one … I would buy

I borrowed some forum members silver vette for this :o

Old 10-02-2010, 09:26 PM
RCD94
Heel & Toe

I just wanted to throw in with the other rotating/pop up folks. If the design could be incorporated to add in the current C4 rotating housing I would spend the money as soon as it was available. I like the looks of the C4 as it is with the lights hidden. The light available the stock units really stinks though.

Quick Reply: C4 Non Pop Up Projector Headlight System