C4 Non Pop Up Projector Headlight System

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 07:45 AM
blr33439
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 Non Pop Up Projector Headlight System

I have been working for the last year designing a fixed position projector headlight system for C4 Corvettes. I have my design patent pending and I am looking for some feedback from those intersted. I am looking for opinions on material options(I am leaning toward carbon fiber), HID opinions, Acrylic cover attachment design(glued on, gasket and screws, attached underneath), etc. I would also like to get an estimate of how many people are interested because that will determine how the system goes into production(i.e. steel/aluminum mold, cnc machining or casting, etc.). You can also give me feedback and see more pictures on the website I have on my profile.

Last edited by blr33439; 02-13-2012 at 06:37 AM. Reason: picture link changed
Old 10-01-2010, 08:55 AM
darrylg
Racer

You've put a lot of work into these, and they look great! They'll likely appeal to a number of owners, but, for myself, the rotating headlights are one of the cool features of C4s.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:59 AM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Cool !
Old 10-01-2010, 08:59 AM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Why in the name of goodness didn't you post this a month ago? That looks better than the set I bought a month ago.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:01 AM
socalman
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I like the flip ups, but if I were to do this, they would have to be painted to match.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:19 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Give the size of the units, what is gained by using carbon fiber? As stated, there would be a lot of people that would paint them to match the car. Maybe SMC or fiberglass would be a better choice and it would be easier to make the molds.

A clear cover would be needed but wouldn't it have to be vented somehow?
Old 10-01-2010, 09:25 AM
blakngold4life
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

they look pretty sweet, would love to see how they look on the car. I personally am not a carbon fiber fan on these cars so if I bought them they would be painted, with that in mind the cost of carbon fiber over fiberglass would probably make them much more expensive. The biggest complaint with other non pop up light systems is the price, if you could get these out for less than $500 I would be interested.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:20 AM
jnealg
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have never liked the look of modified headlights on corvettes, not even the stock c6's.
Vettes should have flippy headlights.
I like your design but wish I could find something similar that worked on the flippy motors.

thats what the 10 year old in me wants
Old 10-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Bronze85
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jnealg
I have never liked the look of modified headlights on corvettes, not even the stock c6's.
Vettes should have flippy headlights.
I like your design but wish I could find something similar that worked on the flippy motors.

thats what the 10 year old in me wants
Loved the hidden lights since the '63, but if they were integrated where the sealed beams are and still rotate I'd like em. (given that they improved illumination)
Old 10-01-2010, 11:19 AM
pantera1683
Racer

Originally Posted by Bronze85
Loved the hidden lights since the '63, but if they were integrated where the sealed beams are and still rotate I'd like em. (given that they improved illumination)
ever since I was a kid I loved the C4 flip
Old 10-01-2010, 11:19 AM
ggrassmid
Instructor

Originally Posted by blakngold4life
they look pretty sweet, would love to see how they look on the car. I personally am not a carbon fiber fan on these cars so if I bought them they would be painted, with that in mind the cost of carbon fiber over fiberglass would probably make them much more expensive. The biggest complaint with other non pop up light systems is the price, if you could get these out for less than $500 I would be interested.

Also, there are some guys over at corvette-guru working on a Fiat Coupe headlight "conversion". I think that looks pretty neat as well. That may give you some ideas.

Also, something that would replace the current headlight bucket to make it more streamlined at night, while still maintaining the flip headlights may appeal to some more people as well.

Just things to consider.

**EDIT**
His website; http://www.riceperformanceproducts.com/index.html, lists a projected price of $1200
You'd have a hard time convincing me to spend $1200 on headlights... even $500 is alot, but for a complete replacement upgrade of the entire thing, I'd do $500 or so as long as it looked good. Keep the fiberglass idea burning, as most people are going to paint them to match the car, not have 2 big black 'squares' on the front of the car(assuming its not a black car)

Last edited by ggrassmid; 10-01-2010 at 11:30 AM. Reason: added information
Old 10-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Alan777
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not a huge fan of the C4 flip ups, I prefer the C5/f-body's.

I'm down for a set if they're reasonable (500-700 tops) and come with projector lights.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:23 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I'm into carbon fiber but not into Non-Pop-up. Would love to see pictures of it already on the Vette and pictures of it at night.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

Interested, Subscribed.

Screw flippy lights, my headlight motors sound like a dying giraffe every time i turn them on.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:22 PM
blr33439
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Definitely some good feedback here. I'll start with what I see as the big question, price. The $1200 I am basing on carbon fiber and low demand. If I change to fiberglass, the price would definitely be lower. The big driver on price, however is demand. I need to know if this will be a 10, 100, 1000 units per year, because that will change the price significantly. Currently, I am having plastic prototypes made. The plan is to make molds from the prototypes which will prevent needing $12000 or more in molds. Another big item, is the acrylic covers. What design is preferred. Here is the basic design I have planned.

A major question is method of attachment. They can be glued down(preferrably silicone), bolted down(with countersunk holes) and a gasket or other method. I am open to suggestions, but I want to know what everyone thinks.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:18 PM
j-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by blr33439
Definitely some good feedback here. I'll start with what I see as the big question, price. The $1200 I am basing on carbon fiber and low demand. If I change to fiberglass, the price would definitely be lower. The big driver on price, however is demand. I need to know if this will be a 10, 100, 1000 units per year, because that will change the price significantly. Currently, I am having plastic prototypes made. The plan is to make molds from the prototypes which will prevent needing $12000 or more in molds. Another big item, is the acrylic covers. What design is preferred. Here is the basic design I have planned.

A major question is method of attachment. They can be glued down(preferrably silicone), bolted down(with countersunk holes) and a gasket or other method. I am open to suggestions, but I want to know what everyone thinks.
Does it need the acylic cover? From your first pic I thought your part would follow the lines of the hood with a carved out area for the lights.

With the part painted body color the clear cover kind of disrupts the look. JMO

Old 10-01-2010, 07:25 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The acrylic covers will probably see chips and scrapes from driving over time. It's possible that they could even crack. If they were removable, they could be re-polished or replaced as necessary. Even a screwed-down cover will need some form of gasket to seal the recesses. Maybe a small groove around the lamp recesses and use a formed rubber seal?

Making the covers a permanent part of the housing could require that an entire new unit would have to be purchased if (when) they get chipped or scratched. Sure, it helps your profit but if the initial cost is high, then having to replace one entire unit may cause buyers to return to the OEM assembly.

I'll agree that $1200 is pretty steep even if the system includes high quality HID light assemblies. IIRC, there is another headlamp conversion kit available from Breathless Performance and they're $1100.

Your retail price will clearly determine how well you will do in making this work. C4 OEM headlights aren't the best and the motors, gears, and relays will cause problems over time. The trick will be to make it reasonably priced and provide an improved light pattern.

BTW, any thoughts on doing a C5 conversion at some point??

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Non Pop Up Projector Headlight System

Old 10-01-2010, 07:41 PM
blr33439
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

A C5 headlight product will depend on how well the C4 version sells. You definitely aligned with my concerns on the cover. The purpose of the cover is aerodynamics and easy to clean, vs cleaning the individual projectors. As far as glued down, I was considering something non permanent like silicone since it can be removed. Depending on testing, maybe use black paint or paint to match around cover edges to prevent seeing the silicone. I think that would work well for the looks and ease of replacement. If bolts are used, they can be countersunk. I don't know the final price for covers, but I am striving for under $50 per set to keep replacement cheap. Acrylic will eventually yellow and nothing lasts forever. Since someone mention breathless performance, I will point out that their replacement lenses are expensive(over $200). If enough people want without the acrylic cover, I can work on a separate design without spending a lot more money. Right now I am close to 5k in this project and I still need molds. That is in addition to over 500hrs of work.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:56 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

someone photo shop them on the car will you?
Old 10-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Alan777
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd like to see body painted fiberglass photo shopped on a C4.

Quick Reply: C4 Non Pop Up Projector Headlight System