C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 body kit? (Several Pictures!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 12:34 AM
uptown193
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7

I also think the body kit adds about 40 hp.....Really...
LMFAO
Old 11-21-2010, 01:49 AM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by usmc_butler
Im contemplating on a body kit for the 87, just curious what everyone thinks...! I would like to clean up the back of the car a little and I really don't want to lower the car any so this might be an alternative. I did some research and didn't see and related threads to this, don't know if it is good or bad! The C4 to C5 is interesting and I found it for just under $1,000
Here is something for you to consider. Early in the C4 production history, outstanding designer Larry Shinoda put together a special kit. At the time it sold for almost $10K. Several months ago in the parts for sale section there was a gentleman from socal who was offering an original Shinoda kit for sale at a vastly reduced price (small fraction of the original). It will cost you several grand to have it properly painted and put on your vette.

This is not my car. It is infact a 96 GS with the full blown Shonida Kit. There are several other C4 members on the forum that have Shinoda Kits and if you use the search function you will actually find one with his car for sale.

So you might consider this kit for your C4. Much more classic than the C5 conversion kit .... but like other have pointed our it is what YOU like that counts

Old 11-21-2010, 03:42 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Name:  1c189818.jpg
Views: 12834
Size:  184.8 KB
Ok, most kits don't work for me on C4's, but those lower effects are subtle and sweet. Are there any pics of your kit wingless?
Old 11-21-2010, 07:02 AM
rickyrj1
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
Here is something for you to consider. Early in the C4 production history, outstanding designer Larry Shinoda put together a special kit. At the time it sold for almost $10K. Several months ago in the parts for sale section there was a gentleman from socal who was offering an original Shinoda kit for sale at a vastly reduced price (small fraction of the original). It will cost you several grand to have it properly painted and put on your vette.

This is not my car. It is infact a 96 GS with the full blown Shonida Kit. There are several other C4 members on the forum that have Shinoda Kits and if you use the search function you will actually find one with his car for sale.

So you might consider this kit for your C4. Much more classic than the C5 conversion kit .... but like other have pointed our it is what YOU like that counts

My Vote for the best set up besides the Callaway. I remember that body kit for sale not to long ago, the guy was giving it away at his asking price. I would have bought it but it wouldn't have fit my ZR-1 without heavy modification.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:18 AM
blr33439
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rickyrj1
My Vote for the best set up besides the Callaway. I remember that body kit for sale not to long ago, the guy was giving it away at his asking price. I would have bought it but it wouldn't have fit my ZR-1 without heavy modification.
That rear bumper design looks great. A built in spoiler lip and drastic air diffuser would make it perfection.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:46 AM
usmc_butler
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blr33439
That rear bumper design looks great. A built in spoiler lip and drastic air diffuser would make it perfection.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:46 PM
lushdrunk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The C4 to C5 kit was originally designed by C5west (now "corvettes west"). At some point C5west was sold and the new owners made all new more advanced molds and sold the originals with an open copyright.
A Canada based company purchased the original molds and sell the kits to wholesalers who sell them under a bunch of names. Duraflex, "extreme-dimensions, crowder's customizing etc..
The remakes are easy to spot. They have chicken wire in the holes, and don't have the C-O-R-V-E-T-T-E script on the back bumper cover.

Regardless of the manufacturer, The quality of the kit is poor at best. Don't expect it to "bolt on" because nothing will fit without major modifications to the kit AND the car.

The greenwood kits are high quality urethane and IMO look a lot better. You can pick one up used for under $1000

As far as style goes well... to each their own. Just be ready for weeks of labor and dealing with poor quality parts.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:28 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Always liked the Greenwood design.

They just missed it in the design where the pieces meet the body.
Looks too bulky. they could have tapered this area more.
Would have looked real good.

The Shinoda rear is the best if you could find one in the 200 dollar range......
Old 11-21-2010, 10:26 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Oh yeah...I forgot about the Shindoa kits. That's another good example of a non-stick-on body kit that has good looks. I like the front and sides very well. I would have liked the rear better -- if the "wing" pointed up (vs rearward).

C5's have a similar type of kit. It's marketed thru MAM but I forgot the brand/maker. It's the one kit that even made a C5 look good to me! It's thin rear wing points up.

The [aftermarket] C4 rear bumpers with C5 tail lights aren't bad either. That broken/split lipped small spoiler is different.

One add'l point...It's reassuring to finally see converation about kits/conversion/etc without some basher (or group of bashers) jumping in. Any bets on how much longer that will take? LOL
Old 11-21-2010, 10:40 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody

Wow I have never seen this before! Definitely not a bad body kit!
Old 11-22-2010, 12:38 AM
MBE111
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalker Body Kit

Originally Posted by usmc_butler
Im contemplating on a body kit for the 87, just curious what everyone thinks...! I would like to clean up the back of the car a little and I really don't want to lower the car any so this might be an alternative. I did some research and didn't see and related threads to this, don't know if it is good or bad! The C4 to C5 is interesting and I found it for just under $1,000 (youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQZpwOLtYew and link to page http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1984-...#ht_5008wt_941 )

I had an 86 in the barn and a 16 year old boy that was interested in fixing it up, so we went to work to restore it. If you have to count your money when doing this ..... you probably should quit while you are ahead. It is a good size investment of time and money. When we are done I will be happy with the finished product, connected with my 16 year old and built something that will last the rest of my lifetime if we take care of it.
Attached Images  
Old 11-22-2010, 01:03 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
One add'l point...It's reassuring to finally see converation about kits/conversion/etc without some basher (or group of bashers) jumping in. Any bets on how much longer that will take? LOL
OK. I'll start...... But then, I digress...

Old 11-22-2010, 08:51 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blr33439
Funny... I've seen a Shinoda kit on a late model C4 in person and thought it was absolutely hideous. Those pictures don't look bad at all. Wonder what changed... maybe the GS paint job with the stripe and fender flares that breaks it up. Come to think of it... most of the Greenwood cars I like have a stripe and flares as well. Hmmmmmm.....

The one thing that I know is a little decieving because of the camera angles is the size of the rear lip. It is HUGE in person. It's too big and overstated for my tastes, but I could see some people liking it.

A different angle of the tail...

Last edited by RedLS1GTO; 11-22-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:27 AM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Yeah, that's the only thing I don't like on the Shinoda is that rear spoiler. A more modest lip style spoiler similar to what is on the new ZR1 would have been been a better finish.

That black C5 conversion isn't too bad, save for the rear bumper style (I prefer concave) and poor wheel offset. Maybe it's the color and really professional looking fit and finish...if you forget about the C5, I can see where that could have worked as the late C4.

The red C5 conversion suffers from multiple issues not necessarily the fault of the kit

The Shinoda, Aerobody and C5 kit all do one thing very well...fix that curve in towards the frame rails that starts just below the belt line on a C4. Our asses are like 3" off the ground but that curve makes the car look like it's sitting much higher.

IMHO, Body kits aren't often the problem, you just need to order the kit from MAD or Ecklers, then put the catalog in the shredder, do not look at any other pages.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:21 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by Steve85
The Shinoda, Aerobody and C5 kit all do one thing very well...fix that curve in towards the frame rails that starts just below the belt line on a C4. Our asses are like 3" off the ground but that curve makes the car look like it's sitting much higher.
Not heard that one before. I thought most people were a fan of the "tight belly" on a vette. In the C3's, it was referred to as the tiny waist of a female. In the C4's, an F4 fighter jet. I like it too. The sidepipes I installed did a better job of retaining that curve than other kits. It's one reason I went that route. (But the side pipes do make it look lower, thank you!)

I object more to the higher ground clearance of the rear fender. IMO, it adds to the stubby rear bumper look. OTOH, look how it turned out when then lowered it for the C5!

Originally Posted by Steve85
IMHO, Body kits aren't often the problem, you just need to order the kit from MAD or Ecklers, then put the catalog in the shredder, do not look at any other pages.
I don't care WHO you are. That right there is funny!
Old 11-22-2010, 12:25 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
A different angle of the tail...
In that picture, I like the kit less -- just like you. OTOH, I like the tail's lip better than the GS installation. Go figure...

Hmmm....I hadn't noticed the deleted belt line before. That part was a nice touch!
Old 11-22-2010, 12:38 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Here's two pics of the TP "Channel kit" and two of the Geiger kit.

Geiger Wide Body kit...
Name:  4906C4_Wide_Body-Volkenburg_NL-0196.jpg
Views: 8787
Size:  73.6 KB
Name:  4906C4_Wide_Body-00046.jpg
Views: 13403
Size:  106.2 KB

Channel kit....(I took out the red in the last pic to make the car black).
Name:  channelwing2.jpg
Views: 5386
Size:  27.1 KB

This last pic most inspired my modification....
Name:  Channelkitblackfront.jpg
Views: 5391
Size:  25.1 KB

Get notified of new replies

To C4 body kit? (Several Pictures!)

Old 11-22-2010, 01:41 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

This is kinda cool!

Old 11-22-2010, 02:13 PM
uptown193
Drifting

Originally Posted by mike100

Ok, most kits don't work for me on C4's, but those lower effects are subtle and sweet. Are there any pics of your kit wingless?
Thank you. Will these do for you?

Name:  CIMG3218.jpg
Views: 5809
Size:  228.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0668.jpg
Views: 5332
Size:  99.6 KB

Old 11-22-2010, 02:20 PM
uptown193
Drifting

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
I know right, I noticed that too. It is a miracle. Finally we are civilized, lord knows that bashing was like

Last edited by uptown193; 11-22-2010 at 03:58 PM.

Quick Reply: C4 body kit? (Several Pictures!)