Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Post up your cheap Do it yourself MODS!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Post up your cheap Do it yourself MODS!

I have a 00 C5 and have done a ton of mods to it and today i found a 94 C4 that just so happens to be the same color as my C5 and I will be buying it next week! My C5 is my weekend 800rwhp car and the 94 I am buying isnt perfect but for the price its a very nice daily driver I do want to do mods to it as well but since i have only owned C5's (3 of them) i do not know what cool cheap mods that are being done to the C4 so post up your C4 mods and pics if you have em

Rick

Video of my modded C5 that i would love to see simular things being done to the C4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSy_olEFBT0

Last edited by Gitusum; 03-05-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:18 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

for pics of duct tape wire spray paint and tractor parts.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:14 AM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

define cheap..
Old 03-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Are you looking for go mods or whoa mods? The DRM brake bias spring is the cheapest mod I have done to mine and the results are great.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:00 AM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How much do you want to spend and how fast do you want to go?
Old 03-06-2011, 10:06 AM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

basically looking at what do it yourself stuff you guys in the c4 section are doing to your cars. I have done a ton to my c5 but since i am getting a c4 and unfamiliar with the c4 mods then looking at ideas. its basically going to be my daily driver and looking for appearance mods not so much power mods other than maybe a cold air or something like that. I already have a 800rwhp car so thats enough power for me i wouldnt mind a few low cost power additives which i know for a corvette is almost impossible to say cheap and fast in the same breath

Rick
Old 03-06-2011, 10:26 AM
mikeb
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 80 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
for pics of duct tape wire spray paint and tractor parts.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:46 AM
biggrizzly
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist

I have a 94 and none of my mods came cheap. Is your car a base automatic or a Z51 six speed? It makes a difference. If its a base automatic, perhaps a new set of gears and set of long tube headers will give you a good SOP boost. I'd also be looking at shocks and tires if they need replacing too. However, it seems like most of the mods are complimentary and one cheap mod by itself is tough to come by that will show any notable increases in hp or performance, but you should know this already from your C5. They are not as different as you might think.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE=biggrizzly;1576976452]I have a 94 and none of my mods came cheap. Is your car a base automatic or a Z51 six speed? It makes a difference. If its a base automatic, perhaps a new set of gears and set of long tube headers will give you a good SOP boost. I'd also be looking at shocks and tires if they need replacing too. However, it seems like most of the mods are complimentary and one cheap mod by itself is tough to come by that will show any notable increases in hp or performance, but you should know this already from your C5. They are not as different as you might think.[/QUOTE

again i was checking out to see what appearance mods you guys are doing to the looks of your car as i am not going to be doing much if any hp mods. looking for paint mods wheels interior mods etc
Old 03-06-2011, 11:34 AM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So appearance only? OK.

1. Refinishing interior plastic. The black rubbery coating that came on most of the interior doesn't wear well. You can chemically remove it and paint them satin black, which makes the inside look a lot better. There are also options for covering them in carbon-fiber-look and other choices.

2. Lowering. This has some performance, but I think it's mainly aesthetic. Buy a lowering kit from VB&P, Mid-America Motorworks, or any of the other Corvette websites. It will include wedges for lowering the front and bolts for lowering the rear. An intense job (the front at least), but great results if you can afford the loss of ground clearance.

3. Tint. Not really a do-it-yourself item, but makes the car look a lot better, IMHO.

Not sure how many aesthetic DIY options are out there. There is an "ultimate DIY" thread at the top of this forum that has a TON of stuff. You should look through there.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:42 AM
proracr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The rubbery coating on the interior plastic was one of the worst ideas I have ever seen! I like the idea of removing it and spraying the plastic with satin black paint, but any scratches in the paint would make the plastic look as bad as worn rubbery coating. Alas, no simple fix for a bad idea.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:53 PM
biggrizzly
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist

For appearance in the interior I have added carbon fiber finish trim which includes the console shift plate, radio bezel, AC outlet trim on the passenger side and both driver side outlets. I also installed a Pioneer dbl DIN Blue Tooth/SD/Aux Input DVD Nav system to make long rides better. Seats were covered by Al Knoch several years ago and I put the crazy MidAmerica console cushion on last year but I don't really like that and plan to go back to black more than likely there. The shift **** is from Flame Ball and I cut the automatic shifter 2.5inches so I could see my NavPanel unobstructed.

I also did the stripes a couple years ago and had them cut by CorvetteStripes.com
Attached Images    

Last edited by biggrizzly; 03-06-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:27 PM
socalman
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by biggrizzly
For appearance in the interior I have added carbon fiber finish trim which includes the console shift plate, radio bezel, AC outlet trim on the passenger side and both driver side outlets. I also installed a Pioneer dbl DIN Blue Tooth/SD/Aux Input DVD Nav system to make long rides better. Seats were covered by Al Knoch several years ago and I put the crazy MidAmerica console cushion on last year but I don't really like that and plan to go back to black more than likely there. The shift **** is from Flame Ball and I cut the automatic shifter 2.5inches so I could see my NavPanel unobstructed.

I also did the stripes a couple years ago and had them cut by CorvetteStripes.com
That's a beautiful interior (and car). Be sure to enter it in the 'C4 of the Month' when 'Striped' cars come around in July
Old 03-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by biggrizzly

very nice work brutha!!! thats what i am looking for I was thinking of blacking out my halo and targa top along with some c5 rims in black as well with the pinstripe. hid lights wherever i can put them. led interior lights if possible.and i know they make led tail lights for the c5 so do they make em for the c4? if so can you do the halo mod on them like the c5 tail lights?

thanx
Rick
Old 03-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Rick

Unfortunately there is not anywhere near as much available in the aftermarket world for C4 as there is for C5. and very little is available for the C4 that is inexpensive .... and thus you may tend to get a "less than favorable" reaction to that particular phrase

That double din replacement of the Bose unit for a Pioneer nav unit looks really nice and that is something that I am considering myself.

Here is a relatively inexpensive upgrade that you can do for your 94. Starting in 95, 13” front brake rotors were standard vs 12”.This was known as the J55 option. You can buy a complete set of J55 front and rear NOS rotors from forum vendor Corvette recycling for about $80.00.

If your 94 has the base seats, a really nice upgrade for a daily driver (ask me how I know this) is to buy yourself a set of 95 -96 lear manufactured sport seats. These are THE most comfortable long distance seats in any generation of corvette. This is just my opinion but I’ve driven C4, C5 & C6 and nothing beats the 95-96 sport seats because they have such a broad shoulder area. Look for them in the parts for sale section or check with forum vendor vette2vette.com

If you use the search function you will find loads of posts on aftermarket wheels for C4 ….. a lot depends if weather you go for the chrome look or the blackout look.

Welcome to the world of C4 lots of really great technical knowledge and help here. Be SURE to post us pics of your C4

ALSO search for threads by member PLRX for some really well detailed do it yourself projects including HID lighting.

Last edited by Mr. Peabody; 03-06-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:43 PM
bizaro
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

about 10 bucks

pedals about 50.00

Old 03-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
Rick

Unfortunately there is not anywhere near as much available in the aftermarket world for C4 as there is for C5. and very little is available for the C4 that is inexpensive .... and thus you may tend to get a "less than favorable" reaction to that particular phrase

That double din replacement of the Bose unit for a Pioneer nav unit looks really nice and that is something that I am considering myself.

Here is a relatively inexpensive upgrade that you can do for your 94. Starting in 95, 13” front brake rotors were standard vs 12”.This was known as the J55 option. You can buy a complete set of J55 front and rear NOS rotors from forum vendor Corvette recycling for about $80.00.

If your 94 has the base seats, a really nice upgrade for a daily driver (ask me how I know this) is to buy yourself a set of 95 -96 lear manufactured sport seats. These are THE most comfortable long distance seats in any generation of corvette. This is just my opinion but I’ve driven C4, C5 & C6 and nothing beats the 95-96 sport seats because they have such a broad shoulder area. Look for them in the parts for sale section or check with forum vendor vette2vette.com

If you use the search function you will find loads of posts on aftermarket wheels for C4 ….. a lot depends if weather you go for the chrome look or the blackout look.

Welcome to the world of C4 lots of really great technical knowledge and help here. Be SURE to post us pics of your C4

ALSO search for threads by member PLRX for some really well detailed do it yourself projects including HID lighting.
thanx and as soon as i get it which will hopefully be this coming week i will post up pics for sure its maroon alot like my 00 mag red c5 so i am thinking of making it my c5's lil brother and black it out as well like my c5 is. It sucks that there are not as many mods for the c4 as the c5 so maybe when i get mine i can create some that others may like as well

Rick

Get notified of new replies

To Post up your cheap Do it yourself MODS!

Old 03-06-2011, 10:48 PM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 222 Likes on 154 Posts

Rick, when I upgraded my C5 brakes to C6Z51 brakes and rotors, I put the C5 brakes on the front of my wifes C4, small investment in adaptor bracket. I also swapped my wheels and tires to her car (minus the C5 center caps). In doing so I also painted the brackets and calipers on the brakes. The C5 was a great donor car for these basic mods. I'll also be looking at doing HID headlights and fogs and LED taillights, exhaust work and lowering it this summer.

Good Luck

Dave

Last edited by yaknow; 03-06-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:58 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

considering what's probably there, pulling the radiator and throughly cleaning all the debris from the radiator and ac condenser, is a great and cheap "mod".
Old 03-07-2011, 12:37 AM
trulytex
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to "Freshen" the outside appearance, New Emblems are a quick and easy way to wake it up. I know that when I bought my '90, all of the emblems were faded and old looking. My car is the Polo Green, so I went with the Gold Emblems, which I think look great on the Dark Red Metalic as well.

Quick Reply: Post up your cheap Do it yourself MODS!