C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New Carpet Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 10:05 AM
MBE111
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Carpet Install

I am installing new carpet in my 86 coupe.
What type of glue (contact adhesive) works for attaching the carpet to the plastic panels that run along the center counsel area? I have tried two sided carpet tape but fear that it will not hold in the summer heat. The factory glue looks rather firm setting yet flexible, as though it was put on with a caulking or squirt gun. It would need to be very sticky and fast setting too.
There must be something that works well. I assume the same glue would work for the carpeted areas on the bottom side of the dash panels.
Thanks for the help.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:50 AM
proracr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get some 3M Carpet and Trim Adhesive. It's available in the Corvette Central catalog and most likely available at you local auto parts stores. It's available in quart containers. You can also get 3M General Trim Adhesive or 3M Super Trim Adhesive in aerosol cans.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:53 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by proracr
Get some 3M Carpet and Trim Adhesive. It's available in the Corvette Central catalog and most likely available at you local auto parts stores. It's available in quart containers. You can also get 3M General Trim Adhesive or 3M Super Trim Adhesive in aerosol cans.
I've used the 3M adhesive, not for carpet but I'm sure it would work.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:01 AM
MBE111
Advanced

Originally Posted by proracr
I have some of that product in the aerosol can. I don't have faith that it will hold as well as the two side carpet tape. The glue that is stuck on the plastic after you pull off the old carpet is very different from the 3M product that you suggest.
Thanks anyway
Old 03-12-2011, 11:12 AM
EurekaVette
Instructor

3M 77 Spary Adhesive, available at any hardware store and works great
dws
Old 03-12-2011, 11:21 AM
j-wireman
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

LiquidNails should work. And last a long time, too.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Gear Jammer
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

3M 77 Spray Adhesive works really good, but Im not sure if the 3M stuff is well suited for this application. Like the OP mentioned, the 3M spray adhesive is completely different from the goo GM originally used. The original GM stuff seems to be more of a caulk type glue. , like liquid nails for example.

So.....was the Liquid Nails reference serious or a joke? Cuz this stuff does seem to be very similar to Liquid Nails. I think Liquid Nails eventually becomes pretty brittle, wondering how it would hold up in the summer heat.

So Im and
Old 03-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

I'm re-doing my carpet and I bought a quart of the carpet adhesive recommended by Mid America, since it was their carpet I bought. I've used the 3M trim adhesive on my wife's C3 vert, and it seemed pretty easy to work with and did a good job. However, it seemed to take a good bit of the stuff, and it is relatively expensive, compared to a quart can of carpet adhesive. AND, I dunno... The spray-on seemed a bit "light-weight" for carpet installation. I could be wrong tho.

My car is "Bright Red", but the interior is (was) Flame Red/black. Flame red just doesn't look good next to Bright Red. So, I bought the Torch Red carpet used in the 92s(?), and laid the back deck piece in there for a look-see. Oh, yeeeaaaahhh! MUCH better!

Now if the temps would warm up a bit...

Let's see pics after you get done with yours. (I'll do the same).

P.

Last edited by Paul Workman; 03-12-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:27 PM
MBE111
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gear Jammer
3M 77 Spray Adhesive works really good, but Im not sure if the 3M stuff is well suited for this application. Like the OP mentioned, the 3M spray adhesive is completely different from the goo GM originally used. The original GM stuff seems to be more of a caulk type glue. , like liquid nails for example.

So.....was the Liquid Nails reference serious or a joke? Cuz this stuff does seem to be very similar to Liquid Nails. I think Liquid Nails eventually becomes pretty brittle, wondering how it would hold up in the summer heat.

So Im and
I agree if Liquid Nails remained pliable it would act more like what I think the original adhesive was.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:30 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

while your at it , new sound deadener and heat shield carpet padding would be good
Old 03-12-2011, 06:59 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would imagine a regular carpet adhesive from HD or Lowes would fit the bill pretty well. Just use a glue trowel of some kind to make the ridges necessary for proper adhesion.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:15 PM
MBE111
Advanced

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
while your at it , new sound deadener and heat shield carpet padding would be good
I am ahead of you there...... used both the heat shield and sound deadener already.
Hope it as good as they say it is.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:26 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

excellent
Old 03-13-2011, 03:37 PM
j-wireman
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

No, I was joking, hence the and .

What with the heat buildup in a car, I would think LiquidNails would harden and crack in just a few years. Then, you would have to do this job all over again. Then, you'd want to track me down like a dog, and I'd be looking over my shoulder... Total waste of time for both of us.

Frankly, I'd go with a product that was recommended by a restoration shop or the carpet manufacturer, not necessarily the vendor selling the carpet.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused. I'll just listen, now.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Donne Trav
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MBE111
I am installing new carpet in my 86 coupe.
What type of glue (contact adhesive) works for attaching the carpet to the plastic panels that run along the center counsel area? I have tried two sided carpet tape but fear that it will not hold in the summer heat. The factory glue looks rather firm setting yet flexible, as though it was put on with a caulking or squirt gun. It would need to be very sticky and fast setting too.
There must be something that works well. I assume the same glue would work for the carpeted areas on the bottom side of the dash panels.
Thanks for the help.
Is this a fairly easy, straight forward install? My '94 could use new
carpeting. Good Luck! Thanks
Old 03-19-2011, 06:37 AM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

I have used Gorilla Glue with good luck. This is the ONLY stuff I have found that works for headliner installations with high humidity. But the stuff wont come off if you ever have to do the job again!

Get notified of new replies

To New Carpet Install

Quick Reply: New Carpet Install