Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Hardtop Questions

Old 03-14-2011, 11:23 PM
Vetster88
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hardtop Questions

I have an '88, and bought an OEM hardtop from a '90...had all brackets and 10 bolts with it.

I need some input and pictures.

The header mounts (pics)
Pictures of how the "B" pillars mount to the body
and the rear mounts I have the pieces for the hardtop but dont understand how they mount secure?

Anyone have info/pics of the conversion requirements?
Old 03-15-2011, 02:25 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

First we need pics of the hot rod cars in the old Punta Gorda WalMart.
Contact a Corvette recycler to get the front mounts from an 89-96 Vette along with the upper windshield plastic trim piece. Then just change them over.
See if you can purchase the entire rear deck lid from an 89-96 vert too.
Then paint it to mach your car. If not then you need the bezels and all the hardware, brackets and cables from the newer car.
The B pillar brackets will not fit so you will have to engineer one to fit. I did this on an 87 and used a piece of cardboard to mock up an L bracket with the vertical portion of the L made to fit the square "roll bar" in the hardtop. The horizontal portion of the L bracket will have a hole drilled in the center. This will be where you can affix it to the the upper seat belt stanchion using the existing bolt.
Take this pattern to the local welder and have him make 2 for you. I flipped my pattern incorrectly so had to redrill the holes so it would fit.

Here is a pic from another person here who did a much better job on the brackets than I did:

Sell these brackets to someone here as you will not need them. They are hard to find to don't let them go cheaply.

Purchase a ratcheting wrench (8mm?) so you can attach/remove the rear deck bolts faster and easier.
We will need pics when you are done! Here is my old 87:
Old 03-15-2011, 11:18 PM
Vetster88
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thank You!

Heres a couple pictures of the car as it sits and with the Hardtop set in place. Im extremely excited about the new addition!! I'll have the top painted when I have the car painted... which should be during the motor rebuild..

Ive thought about a pearl white...and others said to do it the same color as the body? Im still tossing it around.

Last edited by Vetster88; 03-15-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:57 PM
dsmaruska
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a silver 96 CE and thought of painting the hardtop black. Buddy of mine talked me out of it and am glad he did. A C4 vert with a hardtop same color as the body is awesome looking compared to the ragtop. So, paint the hardtop the same color ... will be glad you did.

Get notified of new replies

To Hardtop Questions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hardtop Questions