C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

May have the Corvette painted, quick question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 11:47 AM
Brimis
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Default May have the Corvette painted, quick question

I'm considering having my 84 painted. I'm only looking for enough knowledge to make me dangerous, or at the very least speak knowledgeable at having the car painted.
What is the proper order for having the car painted? Striping, prepping, materials used to prep.
Thank you,
Brimis
Old 03-19-2011, 01:24 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

From what I have read if the underlying paint is not flaking off you don't have to strip it off. Wash thoroughly with Dawn dish soap and then use paint prep (available at auto body supply shops and many auto parts stores) to get the surface grease and wax free.
Then rough up the surface by hand sanding, clean again and spray with primer. Some say to sand the primer and some say don't. Clean again and spray with adhesion promoter, clean again and spray with base coat, clean again and spray with clear. Let it dry and wet sand to remove any orange peel and then use a power buffer such as a Porter Cable with a fine compound to buff it to a great shine. It is more costly and less expensive to stay with the same color.
Check out this forum:http://www.autobody101.com/content/ and also go to this section of the Corvette Forum:http://forums.corvetteforum.com/paint-body-138/
I am going to paint my 91 this summer and have been reading this book: How To Paint Your Car on a Budget, Paint Your Own Car, at Home, in Your Garage! by Pat Ganahl. The book is relatively inexpensive and can be found at www.cartechbooks.com
I have been shopping around and found that I can get the paint and supplies for around $600 and a decent spray gun for around $80. I am currently searching Craigslist for a compressor that will handle an HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) gun and have found a few in the $400 range. I have a 20 gallon 5hp Coleman compressor now but the folks that are giving me advice tell me that this will not do the job. A small compressor like mine will work too hard and build heat which will produce condensation (water and paint are not good on the Vette's surface). It will also run out of pressure and make the spray inconsistent leading to runs.
I have had two different Corvettes painted before and have found the small town mom and pop bodyshops to be very helpful. Stop by and ask them your questions. If you can remove the emblems, and lights first it will cost less for them to do the work too.
Good luck mate!
Old 03-19-2011, 02:16 PM
Chuck Tribolet
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You want to read
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...t=Ghost+flames
beginning to end.

Get notified of new replies

To May have the Corvette painted, quick question

Quick Reply: May have the Corvette painted, quick question