C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Raw gas smell

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 09:23 PM
91TurquoiseMetallic
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raw gas smell

I'm sure this has been covered already, but I couldn't find anything that was similar to my situation. Sorry if I missed it

The C4 I just bought (1991) was at a car lot for 2 months on an almost empty tank, and it appears to have dried out the gaskets around the tank or somewhere else. Since filling the tank, it's had a very strong gas smell, especially when it's warm outside.

It doesn't smell like gas anywhere near the engine itself, so I'm not too worried there, and it's worst right at the back left wheel well. I've tried to look around but I'm not familiar with the car yet, and didn't find anything.

I've driven almost a tank's worth so far and the smell hasn't subsided, so it's not just a "full-tank" issue. I'm also getting decent mileage and have found no leaks or wet spots, so it seems to be gas vapor rather than a full on leak.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where I should look? Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 04-02-2011, 09:36 PM
ConnecticutJunkman
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey I am having kinda the same issue. I started a thread a few hours ago and got some reply's over in the Tech section..

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...ce-1986-a.html

Im also new to these cars..
Old 04-02-2011, 09:48 PM
91TurquoiseMetallic
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the reply, and it does seem like a similar issue. I also checked earlier and the cap is fine, but I haven't checked the top of the tank. Had a few eyes on the car and no one saw anything obvious, but it definitely seems to be originating from that back left tire area for me.

If you figure it out let me know what you found, and I'll do the same!
Old 04-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Lathroum
Instructor

My 86 had this too... probably the rubber hoses in the fuel vapor return lines... by the driver side door, near the rear wheel well... get some hose clamps and some fuel line.... its where the line makes a sharp upward bend...

easy to fix...

might bash a knuckle or two... its tight...

Philip

Last edited by Lathroum; 04-02-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:58 PM
91TurquoiseMetallic
Heel & Toe

Great thought, I'll take a look. Thanks!
Old 04-03-2011, 08:57 AM
jon0108
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lathroum
My 86 had this too... probably the rubber hoses in the fuel vapor return lines... by the driver side door, near the rear wheel well... get some hose clamps and some fuel line.... its where the line makes a sharp upward bend...

easy to fix...

might bash a knuckle or two... its tight...

Philip
In that area, attached to the vapor return line, is a purge valve which opens and closes and vents the vapor. Try changing that. I changed mine on my 86 and it eliminated the loud hissing I always got when I open my gas cap
Old 04-04-2011, 02:56 PM
Hondo48
Instructor

Had the same problem 4 years ago on my 91. I changed the charcoal cannister and blew out the line running from it to the engine. The cannister is behind the passenger rear wheel. It was an easy fix for about $60.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:45 PM
jon0108
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

luckily the charcoal canister on a 86 is right in front of front passenger wheel when you open the hood. In addition to changing the purge valve, i changed all the hoses going to the canister. Of course they had to be 3 different size vacuum hoses. The old ones just stuck to each other when I squeezed them
Old 04-06-2011, 05:08 AM
91TurquoiseMetallic
Heel & Toe

Thanks guys for the great feedback. I'll try your suggestions this weekend (weather/time permitting) and let you know how it goes! I'll grab some pictures while I'm in there and update the thread for anyone else who may need help in future.

Get notified of new replies

To Raw gas smell

Quick Reply: Raw gas smell