Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 Market Values

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 04:42 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I really liked my LT1 because it had a lot of torque off idle the way a 2 valve engine does, but at the same time, definitely had more spin than an L98 TPI engine.

I have never driven a 96 LT4, So I can't comment specifically on where in the range and what mph it feels faster than the LT1, but I can say that having a 400+ hp ZR-1, the distinction is probably somewhat hard to tell the difference if what you are driving is way faster or way slower than the cars being compared.

what I'm saying is if you find a super clean 94 or 95 LT1, vs a 100k mi LT4 car in a weird color that is far from your first choice...get the LT1 car. The one good thing about the smallblock cars is that they are lighter than ZR-1's and well balanced (not as front heavy).
Old 10-22-2011, 05:40 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by 24695bob
Mike and Paul....

Well I stand corrected on the AVAILABILITY of ZR-1 parts...so I guess I better slump down behind the car to wipe the egg off my face,...

On the styling however I still think I am right... yes I can tell the difference but it takes a few seconds for me .. Your average guy or gal on the street can't tell...and your average Corvette owner usually can not tell either

Anyway.. I plead guilty on the parts issue..

Bob G
Bob,

You certainly can be "forgiven" for not knowing that there is no big issue with respect to ZR-1 parts availability. Few outside the ZR-1 community really know the situation.

As for styling, I would venture to say that there are few people outside the Corvette world who can even tell a C4 from a C5 unless they are placed side by side. As the owner of a 67 as well, I know that few people ever guess the correct year and many don't even know it's a Corvette. It's all a question of perspective, as such, as a ZR-1 owner, it is very evident the differences between ZR-1 and base models. However, I can understand for those who aren't as familiar that the differences are one of degree.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:43 PM
4theboy
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mike100
The ZR-1 market is still trying to sort itself out- a lot have come available lately- good time to buy, but I keep an eye out on the regular models too and it is getting harder and harder to find clean 6-spd LT1 cars (for example) and it does seem that asking prices are holding firm at higher than distress sale prices.

Lots of $8k and up LT1 cars... it was actually easier to find better deals a year and a half ago. I say supply and demand on the regular models is on the upswing in favor of the higher price.

I noticed the same thing, asking prices have gone up and stayed up vs. a year and a half ago when even dealer pricing was very reasonable.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:15 PM
2rgeir
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought this on Friday night:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Got it shipped from Kansas to Indiana and received it today. So far it's cost me just under $7100.
Really happy with it and believe so far that I lucked out on the buy here...
A few minor issues with it, but all in all it seems like a solid, well kept car, and I can really not see these go much cheaper than this.
Of course you will have the beaters and worn down cars that are not very well taken care off and have several issues that will be dragging the price down, but I believe the time to buy a C4 in decent shape has to be now...
Old 11-01-2011, 10:18 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

LT1 and LT4 cars felt about the same, LT4 carries the power a little further up the band thats all. LT4 does havea better head to build on though.

Quick Reply: C4 Market Values