C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

removal of dash trim pieces

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 04:20 PM
hypntyz
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 49 Posts

Default removal of dash trim pieces

Does anybody know if these pieces can be removed without removing the main dash assembly, and if so how?

I'm considering sending off all my interior/dash plastics to get the carbon fiber treatment, since my new custom made double-din radio bezel doesn't match everything else in the car (and can't ever be flat black plastic again, because it is cut and plastic welded together so it must be painted/coated).

But, it would still look a bit odd IMO, having the radio bezel, cluster bezel, shifter bezel and door handle bezels all carbon, while those dash trim pieces are still satin black.

Here are the pieces I'm talking about, each wraps around the side of the dash toward the door hinges. Any help is appreciated.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:00 PM
hypntyz
Pro

bueller?
Old 11-03-2011, 11:10 PM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 222 Likes on 154 Posts

I've removed everything above the circled pieces in both an 87 and 89, with all the overlapping plastic, I would say everything must come out.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:30 AM
hypntyz
Pro

Originally Posted by yaknow
I've removed everything above the circled pieces in both an 87 and 89, with all the overlapping plastic, I would say everything must come out.
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure you understood my question, though.

I know how to, and have no problem with, removing every piece of plastic dash trim above the circled pieces.

I just want to know, once that is done, can those circled pieces also be removed, and if so, how?

When I had the interior apart for restoration a couple years ago, I don't recall seeing a way to remove those parts, and thinking that they may actually be made onto the dash main assembly. If this is the case then it's impossible for me to have them coated.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:17 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 701 Likes on 590 Posts

if i'm not mistaken, those pieces you have circled are part of the main dash frame assembly and are not separate pieces. to refinish them, you would have to disassemble the complete dash and remove the frame or sub-structure. it can be done, but it would be one hell of a lot of work. most of that plastic has become brittle over the years, and most likely, you would damage it in the removal process. i would advise against removing it.

Last edited by Joe C; 11-04-2011 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:42 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Looks like Joe's pic put an end to that plan, although, I don't think it would look out of place, with them left satin.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:03 PM
1998prince
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

I've thought about doing the same thing, but if that's one big piece, forget it.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:09 PM
hypntyz
Pro

Originally Posted by Joe C
if i'm not mistaken, those pieces you have circled are part of the main dash frame assembly and are not separate pieces. to refinish them, you would have to disassemble the complete dash and remove the frame or sub-structure. it can be done, but it would be one hell of a lot of work. most of that plastic has become brittle over the years, and most likely, you would damage it in the removal process. i would advise against removing it.

Thanks for the reply and pics...that's what I needed to know.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:18 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

[/QUOTE]

Manitou forklift in background ?

Know where to buy a used rear dif ?
Old 12-16-2011, 01:36 PM
hypntyz
Pro

Here is the modified 2din bezel that didn't match the rest of the interior. They cut and glue these bezels to suit 2din head units, and I guess for whatever reason they don't feel that they can sand them perfectly smooth and repaint them without you being able to see lines and imperfections, so they use this wrinkle/texture paint. It looks really good by itself but doesn't go well with the rest of the dash IMO.

I took the thing off and sanded it smooth (gently) until I couldn't see any imperfections or lines from glue etc. Did the same for the other bezels, masked off areas of the dash in the car and scuffed those, wiped everything down with terrycloth towels and wax/grease remover, then painted with a couple medium coats of rustoleum flat black.

This made a WORLD of difference. The entire interior/dash looks cleaner and more natural now. I guess that is to say, less like cheap molded plastic. I am very happy with the results, I just wonder how it will hold up over time, after being wiped off, etc.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:37 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by hypntyz
Here is the modified 2din bezel that didn't match the rest of the interior. They cut and glue these bezels to suit 2din head units, and I guess for whatever reason they don't feel that they can sand them perfectly smooth and repaint them without you being able to see lines and imperfections, so they use this wrinkle/texture paint. It looks really good by itself but doesn't go well with the rest of the dash IMO.
Hmmm....Whoever "they" are should be posted. Kindofa mickey mouse mod in my book. (The finish that is.) Since I'm an amateur and feel I could beat the finish of this DIN maker, I wonder about their skill/process?

I like the results of the opening for the double-din and how you refinished it. I'm not familiar with the Rustoleum coating you used but the result looks smooth/even in your pics. Probably pass "inspection" from most who check it out.

FWIW, SEM and Duplicolor make spray dyes that work well on plastics. I used SEM on mine and acheived near-exact factory appearance. Dye is thinner than paint which may/may not have longevity advantages.

OTOH, lots of people use paint products and end up with very nice results. I would include your pics in that category.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:06 AM
hypntyz
Pro

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Hmmm....Whoever "they" are should be posted. Kindofa mickey mouse mod in my book. (The finish that is.) Since I'm an amateur and feel I could beat the finish of this DIN maker, I wonder about their skill/process?
To my knowledge there's only one corvette 2din conversion offering that posts on this forum.

I like the results of the opening for the double-din and how you refinished it. I'm not familiar with the Rustoleum coating you used but the result looks smooth/even in your pics. Probably pass "inspection" from most who check it out.
It's less shiny than OEM, for sure. But, I don't like gloss on my interiors, except for maybe an accent trim here or there in piano black or carbon fiber. But you can't achieve either of those with paint, and anything else is going to take weeks of time, two way shipping, and involve a lot of downtime for your car.

FWIW, SEM and Duplicolor make spray dyes that work well on plastics. I used SEM on mine and acheived near-exact factory appearance. Dye is thinner than paint which may/may not have longevity advantages.
I did my dash pad, seat belt pieces, stock door sills, rear halo trims, and a few other pieces using the SEM interior refinish system when I restored/replaced the entire interior a couple years ago. Basically any plastic interior piece that you couldn't buy new, I refinished with SEM landau black (interior was originally charcoal gray). It did very well.

However, the dash pad is still TOO glossy, and on a sunny day you get so much reflection on the windshield that it's hard to see the road. Almost makes me wish for one of those ghey carpeted dash pads. Some days/angles it is momentarily so bad that I have to lean sideways for a moment to look "through" the dark reflection of the cloth speaker grill cover on the windshield so that I can see the road.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:32 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by hypntyz
SEM landau black...did very well.

However, the dash pad is still TOO glossy, and on a sunny day you get so much reflection on the windshield that it's hard to see the road.
Maybe I haven't driven mine at all times of the day yet, but I did complete my interior redo about 6mos ago. I also used SEM Landau Black. And, I haven't had the same problem you describe with your dash pad.

The one thing I did was wipe it with mineral spirits after I was complete. That's because I had one tiny spot that looked like a blob/run. It wiped off (surprisingly) and I didn't have to recoat it (a 3rd time).

Maybe wiping it with solvent dulled the finish slightly.

Sounds like you should give that a try. Or, try a different black. I know Duplicolor makes a flat black. Maybe that's better for the dash pad. Plus, it's less expensive than the SEM products.

Landau is the best shade for duplicating OEM black plastic finish though. And, the dash pad isn't plastic. Probably should be more dull/flat. And, just for the reason you state.

On a side note, I tried brushed alum for my console at one point. Didn't like it for the reflection. Same issue you describe here.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:03 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Looks great, nice work !!

Get notified of new replies

To removal of dash trim pieces

Quick Reply: removal of dash trim pieces