C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

hated to bust his bubble...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 03:21 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteMed
There's a drain hole under the starter, which leads to a skinny drain tube that runs down the back of the motor -- but it clogs easily with dirt, grease, etc...
The question is what the hell is the freeking starter doing up there? The LT5 is a great design but what were they thinking?
Old 02-12-2012, 03:34 PM
coorslight
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a good hit of acid will make people think of all kinds of stupid s#$t........
Old 02-12-2012, 03:36 PM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by ch@0s
The question is what the hell is the freeking starter doing up there? The LT5 is a great design but what were they thinking?
Packaging. If the starter were adjacent to the side of the block, then there would be no room for exhaust manfiold/cat in the space between the block and the framerail. One of the chief design requirements was that the LT5 had to fit into the existing C4 chassis with no significant modification.

Lotus would have preferred if the starter was not in the valley -- because the PCV breather box would then have run full-length in the entire valley, instead of only being in the front half of the valley.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:40 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteMed
Packaging. If the starter were adjacent to the side of the block, then there would be no room for exhaust manfiold/cat in the space between the block and the framerail. One of the chief design requirements was that the LT5 had to fit into the existing C4 chassis with no significant modification.

Lotus would have preferred if the starter was not in the valley -- because the PCV breather box would then have run full-length in the entire valley, instead of only being in the front half of the valley.
OOH! well we gotta have exhaust
Old 02-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Also due to this smaller size requirement even the Airconditioning compressor was undersized for the motor by design. To compenstate for the increase in interior heat load GM fitted all windshields with special solar resisant glass windshields for the ZR-1 only. GC
Old 02-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by pologreen1
Get real. it was a junk design that is why it was replaced. A car has to be somewhat of a robust product and the opti is everything but that. A puddle can take your car out and cost hundreds if not thousands for a person that does not work on their own stuff.

A new person to vettes does not know how junk the design is or expect it since most vehicles you can spray down the engine bay. I am sure he did into try to soak the thing but they are just that temperamental.

So what is so good about the design to you? All I see is it allowed for spark when conditions allowed.
well, i have to agree with you - it is a junk design - total POS. in fact the whole frickin' car is a junk design. those idiot engineers and designers really had their heads up their butts on that one. they have no idea what's happening in the real world. i'm know, cause i'm perfect. i was perfect right out of the chute and i never make a mistake, so i never had to learn from my mistakes - wait a minute, is that a paradox - ??? - can't be - i'm perfect. not sure why i drive such a poorly designed car. those engineers and designers should have consulted us first on that POS LT1 ignition system.

SERIOUSLY, having worked as a design and development engineer for over 30 years, i know first hand, no matter how careful and how much time you spend on any design, murphy's law will eventually bite you in the a$$. nobody's perfect, and i learned a long time ago - don't shoot blindly from the hip without first identifying the target. i wonder how many failed, first generation optispark ignitions were caused by conditions outside the design envelope - 5%, 10%, 30%, 50%, what - ??? if anyone has any statistical data on that, i love to see it...

Old 02-12-2012, 04:42 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
well, i have to agree with you - it is a junk design - total POS. in fact the whole frickin' car is a junk design. those idiot engineers and designers really had their heads up their butts on that one. they have no idea what's happening in the real world. i'm know, cause i'm perfect. i was perfect right out of the chute and i never make a mistake, so i never had to learn from my mistakes - wait a minute, is that a paradox - ??? - can't be - i'm perfect. not sure why i drive such a poorly designed car. those engineers and designers should have consulted us first on that POS LT1 ignition system.

SERIOUSLY, having worked as a design and development engineer for over 30 years, i know first hand, no matter how careful and how much time you spend on any design, murphy's law will eventually bite you in the a$$. nobody's perfect, and i learned a long time ago - don't shoot blindly from the hip without first identifying the target. i wonder how many failed, first generation optispark ignitions were caused by conditions outside the design envelope - 5%, 10%, 30%, 50%, what - ??? if anyone has any statistical data on that, i love to see it...

I too work with engineers that does not mean that cost and other things do not take precedent over quality or deeper R&D. Nothing personal towards you but it seems like you take offense to the junk comment. It is not a well thought out part period. It may be the engineers fault or the people calling the shots fault either way history has shown it was a mistake. The whole cart is not junk, but it is if you have more expectations than stock out of it. The C4 is full of weak links. Not bashing it just saying. I still have a C4 and like them, just not the opti and people that get stuck with their troubles.

Other than that I came off rude and now see that
Old 02-12-2012, 04:54 PM
1Asterisk
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just looking at the wires and connections would leave me to believe that water under the hood is bad.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:58 PM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Hate to hear that happened to the new owner. I've never sprayed my engine down (learned about the LT1 and opti while I still owned my '85).
I'd love to hear what Anil Kulkarni (worked for GM in '92) has to say about the opti-spark...he had alot to do with the LT1 and designing the opti, If I'm not mistaken.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:14 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, it was the omission of a planned vent that caused the early Opti-Sparks to have issues. Later ones with the vacuum vents seem to be much better.

I am willing to bet A LOT of trouble with LT1's is blamed on the Opti, when in fact it is something else. Few on here can call themselves expert diagnosticians when it comes to cars, and even fewer average Corvette owners can do so. Lets face it a LOT of folks throw money and parts at a problem. Not all but I'm willing to bet a majority of them do.

As far as the Opti-Spark being junk, I disagree, the combination of a omitted vent and a harsh environment led to its early demise. As far as a timing device goes, if you can find a more accurate method, I'd love to hear about it. Lots of other manufactures used optical distributors they just didn't put them under a water pump at the front of the engine. Had it been placed in the traditional spot like a late model 4.3L V6, we would not be having this conversation.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:41 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
If I'm not mistaken, it was the omission of a planned vent that caused the early Opti-Sparks to have issues. Later ones with the vacuum vents seem to be much better.

I am willing to bet A LOT of trouble with LT1's is blamed on the Opti, when in fact it is something else. Few on here can call themselves expert diagnosticians when it comes to cars, and even fewer average Corvette owners can do so. Lets face it a LOT of folks throw money and parts at a problem. Not all but I'm willing to bet a majority of them do.

As far as the Opti-Spark being junk, I disagree, the combination of a omitted vent and a harsh environment led to its early demise. As far as a timing device goes, if you can find a more accurate method, I'd love to hear about it. Lots of other manufactures used optical distributors they just didn't put them under a water pump at the front of the engine. Had it been placed in the traditional spot like a late model 4.3L V6, we would not be having this conversation.
Never had an opti but from my reading here and talking to people the issue was the vent as you suggest. I haven't read where people with the vented opti had this problem.

And to whoever said it, yeah I found this forum when I had my first fuel delivery issue and thought I would fix it myself. But I've seen tons of people on here reading, looking, and asking questions while they search for a vette.

I'm glad I didn't though, if I would have came to this forum before I was a vette owner, I would never have bought one. This is where you see all the problems.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:22 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
if I would have came to this forum before I was a vette owner, I would never have bought one. This is where you see all the problems.
Oh how true that is!

For every issue (any issue) you read about here, there are hundreds if not thousands of similar equipped cars without issues.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:39 PM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: They say you learn from your mistakes, I must be a genius
Received 249 Likes on 115 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4
Oh how true that is!

For every issue (any issue) you read about here, there are hundreds if not thousands of similar equipped cars without issues.
Don't see many threads here saying "hey my car is running perfect, i've got nothing to bitch about today"
Old 02-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Durissus
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coorslight
a good hit of acid will make people think of all kinds of stupid s#$t........
Spoken llike an "older" vette owner...
Old 02-12-2012, 07:54 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by 96 Vette CE
Don't see many threads here saying "hey my car is running perfect, i've got nothing to bitch about today"
IBTL
Old 02-12-2012, 08:34 PM
mrmtrtrnd
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man I hate to see someone start off their vette experience like this guy is.

Hey we need to see these kind of threads. I've had my 93 fours years and had very few problems and has run like a top. Well it has tell now and I'm replacing the opti and water pump this week. Don't get me wrong, after 19 years it's time to replace a few things so no complaints from me.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:05 AM
DownLowD
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Rubie

I remember reading about this in Richard Newtons book, 101 Projects for your Corvette. IIRC, the designers of the Opti specified a fairly large drain/vent hole for reasons that are now obvious. Someone in production thought the hole was too big and changed it to a much smaller opening without consulting them.... we all know the rest of the story.

Get notified of new replies

To hated to bust his bubble...

Old 02-13-2012, 02:47 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

"hey my car is running perfect, i've got nothing to bitch about today"
Thats me.... what am I going to do now!! Oh, just open the hood and start d****** around, I'm shure I can F*** something up...

If we opend the hoods on our other cars half as much as we do on the Vette's...who knows, just saying.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:03 PM
littlesk8cracker
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

im tired of seeing sooo many people talk trash on the opti. before i bought my car i was on these forums for over a year and almost got scared away from buying an lt1 car just cause what people say about the opti. my car has over 140,000 miles on it and i have all the reciepts since it was new, and the opti was never changed. i changed it back when i bought the car. it took me a few hours. ill say the job was wayyy easier and quicker then the time me and a buddy changed the fuel injectors on his l98, a job that takes me maybe 15 minutes on my lt1. i think alot of the negativity around the lt1 comes from l98 owners who feel like they need to find something that theres does better
Old 02-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by littlesk8cracker
i think alot of the negativity around the lt1 comes from l98 owners who feel like they need to find something that theres does better
Hardly!

Quick Reply: hated to bust his bubble...