C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

35th Anniversary Corvette Value Really

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 10:49 AM
desperateaudio
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35th Anniversary Corvette Value Really

I have seen threads on this but my car does not align to the one in that thread so I thought I would request some help and a few thoughts.

I am trying to see what the value of my 35th Anniversary is realistically worth. I want to add: Once Restored Value, because the car absolutely needs all of this. So here we go.

The car has 107,000 miles on it. I purchased it from the original owner. Although they had all the original purchase records they had NO service records. I first saw the car at 6:30AM in March 2012 in the New York area on a chilly morning. The car was not regularly driven for 2 years prior only started and ran up and down the block. The car has been parked outside since the day it was purchased. It started right up and yes I did check to see if the owner had warmed it previously and he did not as the engine was dead cold. I left it running for 30 minutes. Car barely got hot and made no other noises other then what would be expected. Car leaks nothing! Shocking I know. Tires were fine.

So now for the bad.

1. Seats will need recovery and some amount of rebuilding.
2. All weather strip needed replacing. (This has been completed already)
3. Interior door covers need replacement.
4. Front brakes needed complete rebuild (This has been completed already).
5. Rears brakes needed new pads and rotors (This has been completed already).
6. New shock were needed all around (This has been completed already). Edlebrock Fronts - QA1 Rears
7. All liquids and filters have been replaced - gas, oil, trans, steering, brakes, cooling, air, etc.
8. All excess grease on suspension has been completely cleaned off.
9. All grease fittings have been greased.
10. Dash top will need to be replaced.
11. bad ground needs to be tracked down under dash.
12. Antenna needs to be replaced.
13. All relays have been replaced.
14. Headlight motor issues to attend to. Seems like stripped gear because of originally bad relay that was forcing the motor to run all the time.
15. All cowl drains cleared.
16. Muffler system will need replacing.
17. Car will need a complete paint job.
18. All spark plugs have been replaced.

The car has never been hit. I paid $2,700 for it and expect to put around $4,000 to $5,000 in it when done but some of the items listed above which are factored into that cost I see as normal general replacement/maintenance that you always have to spend on such cars, so therefore not really part of the restoration cost (brakes and muffler to name 2). I got both removable tops and 2 sets of white 35th Anniversary wheels in the purchase. The car is number 107 of 2050. I will do ALL the work myself and have all the tools. My intention at purchase was not to buy it for resale as I just wanted another C4 corvette (best corvette design out there IMHO), and in general the 35th Anniversary part of it was not a factor for why I purchased the car, it just happened to be that way when I came to look at it.

So my questions are as follows and any help or opinions you guys can offer up would be greatly appreciated:

1. So what is a 35th Anniversary C4 with high miles and as much restoration done on it as it appears I will be doing worth?

2. Also is that value anymore then what a regular 1988 C4 is worth considering the high miles and the volume of restoration?

Thx

A

Last edited by desperateaudio; 04-21-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:39 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Assuming the paint is OK but not great, I'd say it is an 8k max car when it is done. A 35th isn't worth any more to me personally, but might be to some people.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:51 AM
pkazsr
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

IMHO, $6-8k. Of course Mine is worth more than that to me.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:08 PM
Chuck314
Instructor

It is not an investment, if you restore it, do it for the love of the car. Besides, we, the 35th owners, have the sharpest C4's around!
Old 04-22-2012, 12:31 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

It's probably worth the same as any other late 80's vette. Some invest in it because it's a limited edition, but at least as many don't particularly like the color scheme, or limited editions for that matter.... Most people could care less about it, because it's basically an appearance option, and the money chases factory performance options. It's actually low (lower than average) miles, and it should be a beautiful car when you get done. If you don't go crazy, you should be able to recoup your investment. With the improvements in the later models, most of the money is going in that direction.

Last edited by zr1fred; 04-22-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:05 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I think you may have a tad more invested than anticipated.
Are you going with ceramic brake pads?

My "new" 35th has near perfect paint so I replaced a good set of carbon metalics with AC Delco ceramics to reduce that paint killer black dust.

FYI, I picked up this car last month for $8.2k (asking was $8.9k), with 47k miles on the clock. Though it has great paint & interior, good oil pressure, solid shifting A4 and good Bilstein shocks, it needs WS around, a headlight rim, top hold down latch, door panel upper trim replaced, new steering wheel, console lid rebuilt and an electrical gremlin diagnosed. I'm sure all these "little things" keept the price low. If in perfect shape I'd expect to see asking around $12k for this mileage.

While looking (AutoTrader) I saw advertised a 35th with ~100k miles with asking of $9k and it had an aftermarket sound system and who knows what other "issues".

Have fun with the rebuild and enjoy your new 35th Anni.
BTW, my prior 35th was #65 and this one is #658; what is your's build sequence #?
Old 04-22-2012, 07:43 AM
Leftoverture
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Cool that your restoring it. Anniversary editions are always worth a little extra. And the 35th was pretty cool looking. With all the work you've done, and assuming the paint job is professional quality, it should bring a good price, just check the market when it's done and you should have a good idea what the value is.

Last edited by Leftoverture; 04-24-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:48 PM
desperateaudio
Advanced

Originally Posted by markKlein
Assuming the paint is OK but not great, I'd say it is an 8k max car when it is done. A 35th isn't worth any more to me personally, but might be to some people.
I agree, no speed options and its just white paint...??? Not worth anymore to me either so I go with a color change... Either Pearl White or all the way over with the 84 copper metallic color which is what I am leaning toward. Have no plans on selling her but I just did not want to change it if it had a very specific value which I felt did not really exist on this limited edition version unless you get them in very good condition to begin with. The plan this year is to do all the basic stuff in my original list. 2013 we go to paxton type SC. Now that's fun. Body wise she will stay as designed (except color change) sleeper is the plan.

Last edited by desperateaudio; 04-22-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:26 PM
richauto
Instructor

Originally Posted by desperateaudio
I have seen threads on this but my car does not align to the one in that thread so I thought I would request some help and a few thoughts.

I am trying to see what the value of my 35th Anniversary is realistically worth. I want to add: Once Restored Value, because the car absolutely needs all of this. So here we go.

The car has 107,000 miles on it. I purchased it from the original owner. Although they had all the original purchase records they had NO service records. I first saw the car at 6:30AM in March 2012 in the New York area on a chilly morning. The car was not regularly driven for 2 years prior only started and ran up and down the block. The car has been parked outside since the day it was purchased. It started right up and yes I did check to see if the owner had warmed it previously and he did not as the engine was dead cold. I left it running for 30 minutes. Car barely got hot and made no other noises other then what would be expected. Car leaks nothing! Shocking I know. Tires were fine.

So now for the bad.

1. Seats will need recovery and some amount of rebuilding.
2. All weather strip needed replacing. (This has been completed already)
3. Interior door covers need replacement.
4. Front brakes needed complete rebuild (This has been completed already).
5. Rears brakes needed new pads and rotors (This has been completed already).
6. New shock were needed all around (This has been completed already). Edlebrock Fronts - QA1 Rears
7. All liquids and filters have been replaced - gas, oil, trans, steering, brakes, cooling, air, etc.
8. All excess grease on suspension has been completely cleaned off.
9. All grease fittings have been greased.
10. Dash top will need to be replaced.
11. bad ground needs to be tracked down under dash.
12. Antenna needs to be replaced.
13. All relays have been replaced.
14. Headlight motor issues to attend to. Seems like stripped gear because of originally bad relay that was forcing the motor to run all the time.
15. All cowl drains cleared.
16. Muffler system will need replacing.
17. Car will need a complete paint job.
18. All spark plugs have been replaced.

The car has never been hit. I paid $2,700 for it and expect to put around $4,000 to $5,000 in it when done but some of the items listed above which are factored into that cost I see as normal general replacement/maintenance that you always have to spend on such cars, so therefore not really part of the restoration cost (brakes and muffler to name 2). I got both removable tops and 2 sets of white 35th Anniversary wheels in the purchase. The car is number 107 of 2050. I will do ALL the work myself and have all the tools. My intention at purchase was not to buy it for resale as I just wanted another C4 corvette (best corvette design out there IMHO), and in general the 35th Anniversary part of it was not a factor for why I purchased the car, it just happened to be that way when I came to look at it.

So my questions are as follows and any help or opinions you guys can offer up would be greatly appreciated:

1. So what is a 35th Anniversary C4 with high miles and as much restoration done on it as it appears I will be doing worth?

2. Also is that value anymore then what a regular 1988 C4 is worth considering the high miles and the volume of restoration?

Thx

A
Hi,did you find this car in Northern Westchester County,NY
Old 04-22-2012, 07:35 PM
desperateaudio
Advanced

no central jersey
Old 04-22-2012, 07:59 PM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I paid $5000.00 but had the seller (who was going through a divorce .. He called me and offered me the car btw) inspect and correct anything that did not pass inspection in Dec of 2010... Car had 103,000 miles on it...

To pass inspection the seller had to replace all 4 tires and both front hubs ($1600 for those 2 little items... and the receipts I got with the car show it had the engine rebuilt at 84000 ..

So in basically I paid $3,400 for the car....and also purchased 4 new tires and had both front hubs replaced for $1600...( I chose the brand of the tires (BF Goodridge)

The paint on my car is a 9. the interior is a 10 with the exception of the steering wheel (needs to be replaced) and the drivers seat which is showing a little (and I do mean a little it is not torn nor is the area large) wear on the bolster. Carpet and the rest of the interior are very very good..

My only complaint is that it too has an aftermarket radio...I'd rather have the original even if it did not work..and it has a wing on the back ??? which I sure am not going to remove.. and it as a bronze glass top and it shipped from the factory with a blue one ..that I may correct if and when I feel like it... and it had no number tag on the console but the paperwork I got from the museum show it to be a real 35th anniv Special Edition...

The only thing I have done to the car since it was new is to replace the spring in the drivers door. (10 bucks) and clean under the hood...

Have had no issues with the car it drives fine and has given me no problems.

I'm NOT a collector but including the 35th I own 5 other Corvettes my only other C4 was a 95 that I sold to purchase a 98 C5 Convertible when I retired in 1998. BUT I always liked the 35th Anniv edition and never hid that fact form my fellow Club members

So The seller somehow got my name and called offering me the car..

What are they worth..Latest info I have is from 2008 (in one of the Vette magazines and in number 5 condition they list it at about $9000 ...which we all know is BS but this car sure is not in number 5 condition..easy number 3 car not all that far from a number 2 car

What is the car worth??? ... who knows !! and I do not care since I have always just liked the 35th ... I now have one...

Bob G.
64 72 and 98 Convertibles
76 79 and the 35th Coupes...

Old 04-22-2012, 09:38 PM
MRANT212
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 87 Posts

Prices of the 35th seem to bounce all over the place. Even though it's only paint and trim thats pretty much what all the other Anniv Vettes are as well. Couple of parts for the 35th aren't easy to find. Im partial to the car since I own one. It is the lowest production Anniv car to date with only 2050 built and not a hell of a lot left. Throw some bucks into it and have some fun . It would cost almost the same to restore any other C4. At least you have a C4 thats a bit different! Good luck with It and keep us posted!

Anthony
Old 04-22-2012, 09:41 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

If is a 4+3 you might want to return everything to stock as they are worth quite a bit more than the A4s and kind of rare.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:00 PM
desperateaudio
Advanced

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
If is a 4+3 you might want to return everything to stock as they are worth quite a bit more than the A4s and kind of rare.
Its not. If it was a 25th year or say a 50th (soon to come) I would be more willing to leave it stock. 35th year??? Not really sure why that year got picked as it has no special point as I can tell.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:36 AM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: They say you learn from your mistakes, I must be a genius
Received 248 Likes on 114 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

Its not. If it was a 25th year or say a 50th (soon to come) I would be more willing to leave it stock. 35th year??? Not really sure why that year got picked as it has no special point as I can tell.
50th has been out since 2003, we're coming up on the 60th.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:40 AM
desperateaudio
Advanced

Originally Posted by 96 Vette CE
50th has been out since 2003, we're coming up on the 60th.
Sorry about that got lost in my thinking process
Old 04-23-2012, 10:13 AM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I somewhat agree but visually it is much easier to tell a 35th as it drives down the road then a 25th 40th or 50the anniversary Vette ...and they are not all that plentiful...

If you are going to mess with it then sell me the numbered plaque off the console since mine is missing anyhow and the cars number has no relation to the vin number or production date...

Bob G.

Get notified of new replies

To 35th Anniversary Corvette Value Really

Old 04-23-2012, 04:48 PM
desperateaudio
Advanced

Originally Posted by 24695bob
I somewhat agree but visually it is much easier to tell a 35th as it drives down the road then a 25th 40th or 50the anniversary Vette ...and they are not all that plentiful...

If you are going to mess with it then sell me the numbered plaque off the console since mine is missing anyhow and the cars number has no relation to the vin number or production date...

Bob G.
I think to most driving down the street they would have no idea. Other then to say its a white corvette. I think only once they see the 35th anniversary badging while the car was parked would they even generally get a clue.

As for the badging and number I will keep it I just plan on changing the color.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:25 PM
tooltime47
Racer

I have always liked the 35th. I found a pristine one with 13000 miles that I am going to see tomorrow. It still has the original tires and white wheel weights on it. Any clue as to what it would be worth?
Old 04-24-2012, 05:47 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Any clue as to what it would be worth?
If it's pristene and you can get it for around $15k it's a bargain for sure.

Quick Reply: 35th Anniversary Corvette Value Really