C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Questions re: '93 Passive Key

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 03:16 PM
WarDriver
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions re: '93 Passive Key

I did some searching but didn't find the answers I was looking for, hence this post.

I found out yesterday that the 1993 C4 had some kind of passive keyless entry system. However, GM seems to have quickly dropped the idea (AFAIK it was not an option on the C5s), and didn't come out with another PKE until the C6 12 years later.

My questions are:
  1. When was the passive key system used in '93 discontinued? Did it make it past the '93 model year?
  2. Why did GM discontinue it? What was the "fatal flaw" that made them give up on the idea?

My guess is it had something to do with battery life in the key fob or the car (or both), but I would like to know the truth.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:10 PM
Red Dwarf
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

IIRC the PKE became standard starting in 93, option prior to that.

It ran until 96 I believe. The system has been working flawlessly for me, knock wood since 95. It's kind of a "Love"--"Hate" affair. Some people swear by it others swear "At em"!

No idea why it was dropped, but I see it's making a come back.

The battery will not last long if it is kept in your pocket as it continues to transmit with movement. Out of pocket it goes to sleep.

That's about all I know. I'm sure others will have more detailed knowledge.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:22 PM
VA50th
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the PKE system on my 96 coupe. Works great when it 'works'. If I had to guess, GM did away with/redesigned it because the buttons on the PKE FOB don't actually work the way most people prefer and it can be a challenge when working around the vehicle with the key in your pocket. It can be shut off and then reactivated. This whole process can be a bit oweverwhelming. When you factor in the age of the late model C4 PKE it can show its age. The receiver behind the dash is where it is and not like changing a simple bulb, not to mention the cost. The FOB replacement is also pricy. Just my 2 cents.

For me personally I like mine and I've learned how it works. The FOB can be a bit of a battery eater.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:19 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by WarDriver
I did some searching but didn't find the answers I was looking for, hence this post.

I found out yesterday that the 1993 C4 had some kind of passive keyless entry system. However, GM seems to have quickly dropped the idea (AFAIK it was not an option on the C5s), and didn't come out with another PKE until the C6 12 years later.

My questions are:
  1. When was the passive key system used in '93 discontinued? Did it make it past the '93 model year?
  2. Why did GM discontinue it? What was the "fatal flaw" that made them give up on the idea?

My guess is it had something to do with battery life in the key fob or the car (or both), but I would like to know the truth.
The PKE system was standard from 93 to 96. The 97-99 C5s had a dual remote, that worked normally but also would work with a PKE system. The idea may have been ahead of it's time, lots of new cars are using this concept. I rented a car a couple years ago (Nissan if I remember right) that was totally keyless. Keep the fob in your pocket, it unlocks when you walk up to it, and when you jump in there is a start button, no key used.

Lots of new members are put off because it doesn't work like they expect, I got used to it and everything was fine (I would never leave the fob in the car, that's just asking for it). Some people like it, some can't get used to it. It must say something that not only did Corvette go back to that type of system, but lots of high end cars are now doing the same thing.

If you decide you want one, check that your PKE receiver is working right before you blow the money on a fob. You can do this by following the programming instructions in your owners manual and making sure everything works like it says it should (right up to the point where you are supposed to grab your fob and walk up to the car, of course).

Also, there was no remote available from the factory before 93.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:57 PM
WarDriver
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VA50th
If I had to guess, GM did away with/redesigned it because the buttons on the PKE FOB don't actually work the way most people prefer
So what do the buttons do that's different from a normal fob?

The FOB can be a bit of a battery eater.
I heard there was a little tilt switch inside the fob that triggers an RF transmission whenever there is movement, is that right? So if you carry your keys around all day like most people do, I can see how your fob battery would go dead in no time.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:52 AM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

PKE = Passive Keyless Entry

The FOB works without touching the door lock button.
As you walk away from the car, the doors will lock.
As you walk back up to the car the doors will unlock (you can have just the drivers door unlock or both unlock).

The hatch button is the only one that really works like you might expect.

The door button on the FOB will unlock the passenger door only (when you have the FOB programmed to only unlock the drivers door.)
It will not unlock the drivers door, and will never lock either door.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:17 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

I heard there was a little tilt switch inside the fob that triggers an RF transmission whenever there is movement, is that right? So if you carry your keys around all day like most people do, I can see how your fob battery would go dead in no time.
Yes, that's how a passive system has to work.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:56 AM
AaronDoud
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my old 95 I never had the FOB and never replaced it. Wish I had because this system I love. just wonderful minus when working on the car and having it lock and unlock.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:23 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by AaronDoud
In my old 95 I never had the FOB and never replaced it. Wish I had because this system I love. just wonderful minus when working on the car and having it lock and unlock.
You can prevent that by just turning the system off.
Hold the FOB close to the drivers door, and press down and hold the door button for approx. 10 seconds (you will hear the door locks cycle).

If the system was "on" it will now be off, and will no longer lock or unlock the doors as you move around the car.
To turn the system back on, just repeat the above procedure.

Get notified of new replies

To Questions re: '93 Passive Key

Quick Reply: Questions re: '93 Passive Key