Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Here you go... C4 w/hitch bike rack pics.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 12:48 AM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by astepup
I'm liking the AMC Javelin in the driveway. Project car?
I'd much rather ride it.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:22 AM
StuK
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kimmer
Please tell me you are also using it to pull a tire trailer.
Its a thought! I did take the car to Texas Motorsports Ranch 3 weeks ago for a track day with the Brazos River Corvette Club. Oldest car there. Good times! 914 is next on the list for track/play time.

Last edited by StuK; 05-29-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:57 PM
jakers
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by StuK
Not Familiar with Eddy Merckx. Alway liked Cannondale and had a couple Specialized. Got my wife a late 90's GT Full susp last summer and restored it. Beautiful bike now although a little heavy. I need to polish the Super V soon. Sweat on the alum frame discolors it a little bit.

When I started getting the urge to do this, I was going to get a spare targa roof for the Porsche to mount a track style bike rack and then thought about the same thing for the vette. In the end, I figured it was cheaper to get the hitch and probably safer for everything (bikes, cars and vintage roof hardware) to go with the hitch since I had the bike rack already.

So far I am happy! (looks and function yes...not with the install time and difficulty)

Anyway, good to meet you amigo! Are you still riding these days?
Yes ride the bikes at least every other day but not as much as I did in my younger years... I have a car addiction and a bicycle addiction. For monetary reason and storage issues the bicycles win out in number.

87 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp (6 speed Shimano SIS)
88 Eddy Merckx Road bike Shimano Dura Ace 6 speed SIS
02 Eddy Merckx Millenium Dura Ace
2011 Cannondale Super Six Ultegra
08+/- Santa Cruz Blur LT

I love the vintage stuff, bikes and cars! Did you know that there is a group of bicycle collectors that actual put on concours events for bicycles. They snap up new old stock parts, especially Campagnolo parts for high prices on e-bay etc...

Oh yeah, I also have to save room for AR15s, 1911's, nice over and under shotguns etc... :-)

Last edited by jakers; 05-29-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:16 PM
StuK
Instructor

Oh yeah, I also have to save room for AR15s, 1911's, nice over and under shotguns etc... :-)

We have very similar taste! My last addition a month ago is a Thompson 1927 A1

Last edited by StuK; 05-29-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:30 PM
Louiseven
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I considered trying a hitch too. If I did so it would keep the procrastination of getting my one of my Jeep Grand Wagoneer on the road. Speaking of AMC! I actually have two Grand Wagoneer's an 87 and a 90. Eventually all the good stuff from the 87 will make it to the 90. And of the multi-car multi-bike. My other car is a Bimmer E38 V12!

Still riding my 1988 GT Steel framed Mtn. bike rigid w/spin wheels! Also have a 2004 Giant FS Mtn. Bike. Two smaller framed bikes for my lady friends an 87 Bianchi Trail bike and a mint 1992 GT Tequesta Mtn bike.

Love the old toys.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:46 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

I love the 69-70 Javelin/AMX. Great looking front end, and the short AMX chassis is too cool. Easily one of the best looking hood scoops ever done. And they look great in the red, white & blue scemes.

The later body (71-74) was sexy as could be too. Talk about a car begging to be lowered and slung on some foot-wide tires!
Old 05-30-2012, 12:19 AM
StuK
Instructor

Man, all of you guys are pretty cool and have some neat stuff!

How's that V12 ride Louis? I have wondered if they are smooth or what? That's like having two engines dontcha think?

MCM, I definitely agree with you! I do prefer the late 60's Jav/AMX but the 71-74 are pretty killer with the fatties on the back! I batted around the red, white and blue paint but, I think the Gold will be cool as well. Funny thing is I ran across these open road races on a Vette forum (I think Ft Worth) and looking at them, wanted to try 'em. In checking out the entries I noticed that 75% of the cars that do it are Vettes. I figured that would be pretty easy and says something that these cars haul so much butt right out of the box but, being an old ex-punk rocker from 20 something years ago, I like to stand out sometimes and wanted to do it in a car that is a little more dangerous and unusual. I think some dude runs a Corvair with an LS1 plugged in it in the 160 MPH category so, old car, harder to manage and keep together on the road should be a real match for an extra shot of adrenaline. Plus, building the car to stay together running flat out for 100+ miles just seems like a neat goal. Double cool that Mom drove one when I was a tyke.

Jake & Louis... nice bike collections!

Mine are:
'97 Cannondale Super V Carbon
'84 Centurian Dave Scott Road Bike
'81 Nishiki Olympic I use to pull the dog trailer when my wife and I ride the neighborhood.

Hers:
'01 GT XCR 4000 iDrive
'86 Peugot Nice Road Bike

Last edited by StuK; 05-30-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:42 AM
trulytex
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel your pain! I have a 1990 Vert and put a reese hitch on it a couple years ago to give me more cargo space. I love to drive my Vette down to the Keys with the top down, but there is no space for all of my SCUBA gear. So I bought a hitch on Ebay and had it installed and then bought a luggage rack with waterproof luggage bag. It works Awesome. It was worth it to be able to enjoy my 2 favorite hobbies - scuba diving and driving my vert down the Overseas Highway (the most beautiful drive you will ever take).

I am also in the same position you are - love the Under-appreciated Bastard Cars. That's why I have a Cadillac Allante' - a great fun car that you can buy for very little $$$$$.

And here are a few pics of the Cadillac Allante' (with C5 Corvette Wheels):

Old 05-30-2012, 11:14 AM
IAFF alumni
Tech Contributor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by trulytex

I built something like that for my Jeep.
It hauls my fishing gear.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:46 PM
trulytex
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whatever it Takes to enjoy our Toys to the fullest extent.....

Looks Good.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:50 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by IAFF alumni
I built something like that for my Jeep.
It hauls my fishing gear.

now this , I like
Old 05-30-2012, 09:30 PM
StuK
Instructor

Originally Posted by Trulytex
I love to drive my Vette down to the Keys with the top down, but there is no space for all of my SCUBA gear. So I bought a hitch on Ebay and had it installed and then bought a luggage rack with waterproof luggage bag. It works Awesome. It was worth it to be able to enjoy my 2 favorite hobbies - scuba diving and driving my vert down the Overseas Highway (the most beautiful drive you will ever take).

I am also in the same position you are - love the Under-appreciated Bastard Cars. That's why I have a Cadillac Allante' - a great fun car that you can buy for very little $$$$$.
Exactly!

SCUBA without compromising on the fun getting there! That's my exact deal. I like a truck, I want a truck but, I would have to sacrifice one of my other cars to survive the wrath of my cool wife. More fun to drive the Vette to the trails as I am sure you and your SCUBA to the beach! Cool Caddie BTW!

I had a Porsche 928 for about a month a few years ago which I traded a Motorcycle for. It ran but needed work. One part would have cost what value was placed on the car ($3500.00) so, I ditched it. At the time I didn't consider an engine transplant but, that's another car I would like... Maybe with the LS1 heart of a modern Vette?

Very cool Jeep IAFF... You don't screw around when you're fishing do you? Little suckers don't have a chance with 10 reels! Modify your Vette for fishing! (okay, I crossed the line on that one!)

Last edited by StuK; 05-30-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:48 PM
IAFF alumni
Tech Contributor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by StuK
Very cool Jeep IAFF... You don't screw around when you're fishing do you?
Nope.

Quick Reply: Here you go... C4 w/hitch bike rack pics.