C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Denatured alcohol nightmare??

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 03:11 PM
CorvetteMusic
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something still afoul

So I finally had the shop dig deep to see what was causing the problems and it appears the denatured alcohol was not part of the problem. The shop replaced the MAF sensor with a performance version, both associated relays, put in a new fuel pump and fuel filter and then dialed the fuel pressure back from 52 to 38. It runs stronger than it did before I took it to the shop, however, if at idle I stand on the gas it hesitates for a moment like it is going to die and then kicks down. There are no idle problems or power throughout the powerband, only this very noticable hesitation when I stand on the gas. Any ideas what could be causing that? Tech at the shop thought I needed a new set of injectors, as the currrent ones are oversized. I also had a special PROM cut to precisely match all the upgrades I made to the car years ago and I wonder if it is confused now that I have a different MAF sensor and the fuel pressure is now at 38 and not 52. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 07-16-2012, 08:04 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I took my modified MAF out (heat sinks gone, screening gone)
I dont know WHY people do this the car dont run any differnt.

Original owner did it to an 89 I owned. Did the same thing as yours, injectors were starting to go bad. Convinced I could have the multecs cleaned from bad advice had it done, put them in made things worse.

Long story short the MAF was screwed. It would run fine most the time then intermittently do what you described. What I didnt know is it was causing the car to run super super lean. Let it go too long and it burned up the head gaskets. By that time it ate the bearings, too.

Keep us posted.

If you get another MAF leave the screeens alone it doesnt amount to a hill of beans difference as far as performance.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:12 PM
TJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never heard if it was 85 octane or E85??

Multecs are poor design [ as has been already stated and why!!]

Alcohol conducts electricity. Gas does not.

I would imagine all sorts of issue with a tank of E85 in an '88?
Old 07-17-2012, 07:55 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

The hesitation is probably because its lean on acceleration. Turn the fuel pressure up and see if it goes away.

Quick Reply: Denatured alcohol nightmare??