C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Rubber moldings/Seals

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 04:11 PM
m long
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubber moldings/Seals

I am looking for a com pleat kit all the seals for my 1986. Any one out there have recommendations on the best kit for the price i do not want to be cheap just the best most com pleat kit that fits well
Thanks Mike
Old 11-15-2012, 10:18 AM
garryowen
Instructor

i can offer my experience.

last summer i got a complete seal kit for the "84". i bought the economy kit. i want a nice daily driver play car.

the seals were ok, meaning they were much better than than the falling apart ones i took out

i found all the molded ends that terminate the door rubber to be pitted and spongy. a little to cheap to suit me.

of the 3 different grades the company i dealt with had to choose from, i wish i would have gotten the mid grade. cheaper than the oem replacement. advertised to be as good.

i want to save as much as the next guy. the time you spend should make you feel good in the end product. this is one i wasn't that satisfied with and plan on up grading in a year or so when other things on the car are finished

the good side of this is, when i get to paint, i can throw this stuff away then get new but have wind, rain, and dust, sealed out of the car till i get to that point.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:11 AM
m long
3rd Gear

Default seals

Garry
witch company had 3 choices to offer
thanks Mike
Old 11-16-2012, 10:39 AM
garryowen
Instructor

there were a couple or so that had diff. kits.

the one i dealt with was mid america motor works.

i'm not unhappy with the price i paid for the kit. cost for what i got very ok. after doing it and putting the work in, wish i would have sprung for the next kit up

the stuff i got is serviceable and seals well. it went on and fits ok.

as far that goes every one who know the car says how much better it new looks. the old was in pretty bad shape though.

also the top grade oem had some gaps in what was available, that that + its a lot more $.

they did do a good job of making up the kit and had everything i needed to reseal my 84.

i think where they save money on economy kit, is the way the moulded ends of weather striping are fasted and made. as said mine fit and worked ok just don't look so hot.

had some pix but the sight i used to resize and post went down.

also i' very picky about my stuff.

have seen here also after i got mine done, wilcox and zips offer door seals made form a latex product. this might be wort looking in to. the stuff used was a bit stiff and had to slam doors for a while to get it to compress and shut door. took 3 months before it "broke in" and still have shut doors firmly. i understand the softer latex striping eliminates that.

Get notified of new replies

To Rubber moldings/Seals

Quick Reply: Rubber moldings/Seals