Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Wiper blade question

Old 10-30-2013, 08:24 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 525 Likes on 475 Posts

Default Wiper blade question

This is one of the dumbest questions, but nothing seems to be going right on it. What brand/model 20" wiper blade will 'fit' properly a 86 with the 'pin' wiper arms? This is where the arm has a pin with a groove in it that a wiper blade with a hole in it snaps onto.
So far I've bought based on the manual/guides in 3 different auto parts stores have bought Trico, Anco and Rainx. Every single one has a hole and will fit over that pin but not one of them has any mechanism to keep the blade on the arm.
I have no idea what's on the car, but those have some type of spring mechanism in them that when you want to remove them, you slip a screwdriver between the arm and the blade.
I'm tired of buying blades that don't work, who knows of one that does?

If I have to, I'll see if I can find replacement arms with the j-hook ends, but I'd rather find the right blades.

Appreciate any info.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:34 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Get a pair of OE/GM # 12363800 - they should be quite readily available and not ridiculously priced. If you have issues with them you'll have issues with any!
Old 10-30-2013, 11:40 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

You can buy just the rubber part. Solves the problem.

I know GM used to sell these, but I don't know if that's still true.

I've got these guys on my car right now:

http://www.thewiperstore.com
Old 10-31-2013, 12:37 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
You can buy just the rubber part. Solves the problem.

I know GM used to sell these, but I don't know if that's still true.

I've got these guys on my car right now:

http://www.thewiperstore.com
Inserts generally only work if the blade on the car is still OE or has been replaced with OE or an equivalent at some point. Most after-market will NOT except inserts and allow them to "latch" correctly. 29+ year old car and original blades? I wouldn't have and didn't suggest inserts to someone that was already struggling.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:02 AM
John.87
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The RainX blades I put on my car came with an assortment of bushings and they fit fine. Only issue was the driver side blade needed to be put on the bench grinder a little so it would clear the hood.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:37 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Which Trico did you try ?

I have Trico Exact Fit on my 86, fit great.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:02 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Inserts generally only work if the blade on the car is still OE or has been replaced with OE or an equivalent at some point. Most after-market will NOT except inserts and allow them to "latch" correctly. 29+ year old car and original blades? I wouldn't have and didn't suggest inserts to someone that was already struggling.
My 1995 has the OE wipers. I did install inserts last year, the original rubber was hard and in rain you couldn't see a thing. Mine is a 10,000 mile car with original everything, except battery. NCRS people will love it.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:11 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Default Wipers

I don't remember the model and the box is gone so can't speak to which RainX I bought.
Trico ExactFit 20-1 was one that was listed as fitting an 86, they don't. Might be able to fit those onto the TBird
Another was Anco 30-20-OE. Again they have the right hole but no way to lock them onto the arm. It's also too tall to fit under the back edge of the hood.
All of them fit onto the arm but there's no way to lock them onto the arm.
Talk about a pain in the rear.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:14 PM
okinawa86vette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the Bosch ones on both my C4s. The other brands don't seem to work all that well. They snap on the post and come off the same way....using a screwdriver to wedge in and pop it loose. I haven't had any problems with them coming off as long as they're snapped on like they're supposed to be.

There are two sizes of the peg type......I wonder if the little mechanism is switched to the wrong size and not snapping in secure. I also wonder if some of the brands only have one size hole that's too big.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:14 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Default Misc

I spent some time last night looking at the original wipers that were on the car and the replacements I bought. The new ones have the right size holes in them but they lack the spring that's on the originals that 'lock' the wiper blade to the arm. What do they think you'll do to keep them on the wiper arms: wire them on?
Old 11-01-2013, 09:07 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have the Trico 20-1 blades on my '87 and they work fine even clearing the hood when the go to the "park" position.

If the spring is not there, take the blades back. It does take some effort to get the pin on the wiper arm to latch onto the blade assembly. The springs will be on the inside of the housing where the hole for the pis is located..

Get notified of new replies

To Wiper blade question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wiper blade question