Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

LT1 Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 08:57 PM
five7kid
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, QCVette, you looked into OBX a lot more extensively than I did, and your findings confirm my difficulties...

I, too, hope they resume production. Perhaps if they hear from enough of us...

I found an eBay'r selling the catted headers. The quantity available has gone down and the number sold has gone up since I first saw them. I was going to wait a bit, but hearing all this, I may just jump on them now. Klyde, '96 has heated O2s, so that shouldn't be an issue.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:56 PM
roadcaqpt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out Mid America, the new mag they sent me has a muffler only set in SS.

Be Safe
Old 01-17-2014, 07:41 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 630 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by roadcaqpt
Check out Mid America, the new mag they sent me has a muffler only set in SS.

Be Safe
I just got that catalog this week also. I see some SS mufflers with a pictorial that says "NEW". It also states they use a swivel inlet. I don't know what that construction is or how long term durable it is. I wonder who makes it and what it sounds like.

Since they are new I doubt it, but has anyone tried them yet.

Thanks.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:50 PM
five7kid
Racer

Is that www.mamotorworks.com? I don't get their catalogs.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:16 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by five7kid
Is that www.mamotorworks.com? I don't get their catalogs.
Yes.

The link is:

http://www.mamotorworks.com/Corvette...odels-647674-1

But it doesn't show a picture yet like the catalog does.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:35 PM
five7kid
Racer

Thanks. I'm still building my database, and exhaust is probably one of the first things I'll need to do.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:55 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
Few offer replacement mufflers because the factory system is a one-piece (welded) unit from the cats back....ie if you want to add mufflers you'll be doing some hack-sawing.

Most will say (and I agree) that Corsa is by far the best cat-back system available. Little to no drone, extremely well made, nice exhaust note that is louder than stock (but more than tolerable), and they offer a slight performance gain (although you won't feel it SOTP).

Gotta pay to play.
however .... if you have the budget for a corsa system ...... then consider getting a set of long tube headers and keep your stock LT1 exhaust. It will sound fantastic. Lower and louder than stock and with the stock exhaust you will have no drone at all.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:21 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
however .... if you have the budget for a corsa system ...... then consider getting a set of long tube headers and keep your stock LT1 exhaust. It will sound fantastic. Lower and louder than stock and with the stock exhaust you will have no drone at all.

Especially if you do not have to have converters.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:53 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Interesting idea.

I have put headers on a bunch of cars before and they have always been good for performance, mileage, and sound better too.

I have heard that the stock LT1 manifolds aren't too bad and even some of the L98 cars have swapped to them to improve performance. Any idea how much they would help power?
Old 01-17-2014, 10:44 PM
ColaBear
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 119 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalis4

With long tub headers, you lose your cats? Correct?
Do they mate up with the stock exhaust or do you have to do some fab work?

I know the OBX long tube headers do not have cats. Just a small tube section that is expanded and looks like a mini cat but isn’t. I need my cats to pass inspection.

On the OBX you have to weld a bung for the 4th O2 sensor (or have it done for you).

I like my stock exhaust but a little more sound would be nice. I guess more input is needed.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:33 AM
five7kid
Racer

Originally Posted by ColaBear
You won't be able to use factory cats, that's for sure. The OBX pipes will mate up with the factory pipes, as I understand.

I know the OBX long tube headers do not have cats. Just a small tube section that is expanded and looks like a mini cat but isn’t. I need my cats to pass inspection.
This says they have cats:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...r-install.html

Called them "straight through", which describes the Magnaflow ceramic spun cats I used on an LS1 swap. Didn't say he went through a sniffer that I could see, but I had my LS1 on a dyno sniffer and it was as clean as a whistle. Perhaps someone has used the OBX system and has gone through an emissions test with them and can report back.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:06 PM
ColaBear
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 119 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalis4

@ five7kid,

I talked to one of the sellers for OBX and he told me they are not cats. They just look like it.

I wonder if a small high flow cat could be welded into that small area. Does anyone know the Dimensions of that OBX simulated cat section for the 95 headers?
Old 01-18-2014, 02:59 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by QCVette
Interesting idea.

I have put headers on a bunch of cars before and they have always been good for performance, mileage, and sound better too.

I have heard that the stock LT1 manifolds aren't too bad and even some of the L98 cars have swapped to them to improve performance. Any idea how much they would help power?
When I did it to mine there was a SOTP difference. But the change in the sound ... was what I was after. You should definitely use cats. I have to take my 95 in every two years for an emissions test.

As stated above you cannot use the big stock cats as that is where the collectors for the LTs will be however there are several reputable companies that make bullet cats specifically for use with LT headers.

When I bought my LT kit from stainless works ( love them ) I got mine with RT bullet cats.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:54 PM
five7kid
Racer

On the OBX you have to weld a bung for the 4th O2 sensor (or have it done for you).

I like my stock exhaust but a little more sound would be nice. I guess more input is needed.
I'm just relaying what a member said. Makes me wonder if the Stainless Works headers of the same type use actual cats, since they offer them with or without cats.

Magnaflow cats are a bit fatter than what is shown in the OBX/Stainless photos. May or may not fit in that location. RT I'm not sure, but likely similar.

Quick Reply: LT1 Mufflers