Body Paint Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 12:34 PM
Klyde
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Body Paint Question

On the front bumper area where the fog/turn light wraps around the side and becomes the side turn/parking light there is a small transition piece of body material. Basically the front corner of the car. I've noticed on some years this is painted the body color and on others it is black. What years are black?
Old 03-01-2014, 12:42 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Only the 1996 cars were painted body color. Although all black 91-96 Corvettes were black.
There are a lot of 91-95 Vettes out there whose owners had them painted body color in order to make them look like a 96.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:30 PM
Klyde
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the info. I was wondering why my 96' was different. I didn't know when or if they changed. I'm not the original owner so didn't know what the original car was like. I bought my 96 in 1998 from GM, they owned the title. I was told it was driven by a GM boss and every two years they can get news ones. So in 1998 he traded up and I got what I always wanted.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:59 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

My father was a supervisor at a GM plant but was too old fashioned to drive a Corvette and he thought they rode too harsh.
I think it was called a General Motors Program car. GM liked the cars to be loaded up with options so unless I am wrong, your 96 should have a lot of the "good stuff" on it.
It seemed like he could also order up to 4 non-program cars per year and since he had 4 kids we all drove fairly new GM cars for most of our lives. We had to go to a dealer and were able to order anything we wanted. Seems like we got a 15% discount and got 20% off any options. This was in the 70s and 80s.
Despite all the alleged quality problems we never really had any problems with any of those cars.
I had a wife and kids so could not afford to buy anything real fancy though. Owned a lot of Chevettes and Citations during that time.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:51 PM
KEG64
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
Only the 1996 cars were painted body color. Although all black 91-96 Corvettes were black.
There are a lot of 91-95 Vettes out there whose owners had them painted body color in order to make them look like a 96.
I painted mine the body color instead of black because it was easier.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:32 PM
Klyde
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Corvetteronw:
Yes, my 96' has most but not all the extras. Glass Roof, Automatic Trans, Electronic Climate Control, Electric Seats, Advanced Stereo, and the 3.07 rear. If the "Boss" could have any thing he wanted he should have gotten the LT4. My 96' was with another black-on-black one setting inside the dealers show room. Both had 16k miles on them.The new style (C5) had come out in 1997 and I didn't like them. My only choice was to find a 96' and I was shocked to see two inside the dealers main window in 1998. Was in my 89' at the time and pulled in to check them out. Left with the "Aqua Metallic Blue" one. It cost me $22k and my 89'. Car was in perfect condition and is still today.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:48 PM
aj1988
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
My father was a supervisor at a GM plant but was too old fashioned to drive a Corvette and he thought they rode too harsh.
I think it was called a General Motors Program car. GM liked the cars to be loaded up with options so unless I am wrong, your 96 should have a lot of the "good stuff" on it.
It seemed like he could also order up to 4 non-program cars per year and since he had 4 kids we all drove fairly new GM cars for most of our lives. We had to go to a dealer and were able to order anything we wanted. Seems like we got a 15% discount and got 20% off any options. This was in the 70s and 80s.
Despite all the alleged quality problems we never really had any problems with any of those cars.
I had a wife and kids so could not afford to buy anything real fancy though. Owned a lot of Chevettes and Citations during that time.
The preowned executive cars were PEP cars. Folks high enough up the food chain were tasked with driving the new cars and then had to do a 'write up' on the car. When the 6 month period was up the cars were made available to employees for a 'major' discount over/above the employee pricing. The employee price on a Vette back in the 80s was 20% off base/20% off options.

It was not uncommon for an employee to get a new Vette and then sell in 6 months and get another PEP car. A few of my friends actually drove the cars and put cash in their pockets. The EDS credit union had a single payment plan and they would buy the PEP cars, drive for 5 months, sell car, pay note, get another car.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:48 PM
tr.dirks
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Which black?

What flavor of black should this be? flat, matte, satin, semi gloss or gloss?

TIA
Old 03-02-2014, 06:29 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 653 Likes on 424 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

This might explain something about my 91 ZR-1.The first owner had the car for 2 years in Michigan.The car had 1800 miles when it went to auction and the second long term owner bought it.Is it possible to find out who owned it first,doubtful but would be worth a shot.

Get notified of new replies

To Body Paint Question

Quick Reply: Body Paint Question